Using Netbook for chartplotting

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Don't forget iPad with Navionics. A more expensive piece of hardware with less expensive chart software. Downside is an extra £300 for the AIS solution but the iPad is awesome.

jollyboy

Visit site
Hmm, yes. The thing is that I have a netbook, but I don't have an iPad! Vara's idea looks the most feasible. I checked on Maplin's website. The GPS dongle is only £29.99. Now just got to check the charts...

jollyboy

Visit site
Just been checking the Trevor Thompson article called Getting Started on the Imray website. He suggests that netbooks with an electronic memory rather than a hard disc drive may struggle to cope with digital charts. Is the answer to get a USB external hard drive?

laika

Visit site
Just been checking the Trevor Thompson article called Getting Started on the Imray website. He suggests that netbooks with an electronic memory rather than a hard disc drive may struggle to cope with digital charts. Is the answer to get a USB external hard drive?

I'm not sure what he's on about: Performance of a Solid State Disc won't be a problem. I suspect this might be a reference to the fact that some of the first Asus eeepcs had a 4GB ssd which might not have been big enough for the software and charts as well as the OS. A full set of UK+Ireland charts will almost certainly be less than 2GB (can't find the info on the Imray web site) so you shouldn't have a problem with the size of the SSDs in any more recent netbooks unless you've loaded a bunch of other software on there. If in doubt call Imray and ask

Conachair

Visit site
I have recently installed openCPN on an Asus eeePC using dodgy charts from bittorrent. The cool bit is using my Nokia phone as a GPS receiver via bluetooth using the EXtGPS phone app.

It works really well. Now I need a source of legitimate, updated charts.

+1 for opencpn. Google earth window mirroring the chart, very cool :)

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
whats the point when plotters are as cheap as they are and you can put one where its needed in the cockpit?

I think the point is that the OP already has a Netbook! ?? :)

However, my choice if starting from scratch and being a computer luddite would be to have a chartplotter.
My netbook is very slow for some reason and I cannot get the gps to be seen. ??

jollyboy

Visit site
Yes, that's worth bearing in mind, as my Netbook, a Samsung N150, does have an Atom processor!

I'm starting to get cold feet now....Perhaps I'll just get a dedicated chartplotter, but that won't be until Christmas!

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I run an old version of Tsunamis99 on an Acer InspireOne, using a SERF11 USB, GPS mouse (around £15 off e-bay) and it works fine. Charts are small on the small screen, but still bigger than many chartplotters. Again it runs off 12v direct, but does use a fair bit of power & a 12 hour sailing passage would kill the domestics battery - so be aware of that.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Yes, that's worth bearing in mind, as my Netbook, a Samsung N150, does have an Atom processor!

I'm starting to get cold feet now....Perhaps I'll just get a dedicated chartplotter, but that won't be until Christmas!

Check the baud rate & port of the GPS mouse, you need to set them correctly in the Chart software. NCTLite is a free prog for reading the GPS data stream. You can use that to help get the pc-gps interface sorted.

earlybird

Visit site

I used to run Oziexplorer, with Maptech & scanned charts on a Pentium II notebook, no problem. My present Atom powered Samsung netbook would eat that old machine for breakfast.
I agree that a dedicated plotter has a number of advantages however.
My real preference is for a Yeoman.

SimonJ

Returned to Caribbean for the winter, back to uk f
Visit site
Netbook as a chart plotter

I have been using a laptop as a chart plotter for the last 8+ years. Initially I used a gps input via 9 pin serial port connector (rare these days) from my Garmin 120 gps (also now elderly). For the last 6 years I have been using a gps microsoft mouse. This I obtained in USA with a road map programme but they are available cheaply in USA(£25 ish, if you search) & not so easily found in UK. For nav programme I used a now also elderly Nobiltec programme. Latter day versions are more expensive and have rather too many (unnecessary in my opinion) bells and whistles but are able to deal with all forms of chart data input. Having cruised in US and Canadian waters as well as Caribbean and Atlantic I have found the system excellent noting that all US charts are in the public domain and may thus be downloaded free. I cannot comment on how you might acquire further charts!
I have recently changed to a Asus net book from my now aged laptop which works just as well and uses less amps.
A computer based system is considerably more versatile, I think, than a plotter. I assume a netbook/aptop has considerably more computing power? One very useful feature is to use a 'snail trail' facility when leaving a place you arrived in good conditions when later at night or in fog (or indeed returning to a known place in poor visibility.) The trail is the track left on the 'plotter' and has helped me leave safely coral strewn anchorages and unlit harbours several times! Maybe you can do this on a plotter as well!?
Nobiltec is very good but you have a choice of nav operating programmes to suit your pocket.
This is a cheap way of having a good plotter. Although I have Pilot Books, I have not opened a chart in anger for the last 40000 miles.
The cons are you would not want the netbook outside but you could no doubt rig an external/extra monitor type screen.