Using Netbook for chartplotting

Vara

Visit site
whats the point when plotters are as cheap as they are and you can put one where its needed in the cockpit?

Can't take your plotter down the pub for planning.

Always good to have a plan B.

Despite having 2 independent plotters on boat, I've found the netbook set up very handy.

I must say though that an IPad with the Imray app is much better.

Downside of both is that they are hopeless for day light viewing.

Ohh, and I can't reply to posts on my plotter!

V1701

Visit site
Yes, that's worth bearing in mind, as my Netbook, a Samsung N150, does have an Atom processor!

I'm starting to get cold feet now....Perhaps I'll just get a dedicated chartplotter, but that won't be until Christmas!

Don't, I have a Samsung N210 netbook with I think the same Atom processor that you have. Open CPN with CM93 world charts was slow but fast after I upgraded the RAM from 1 to 2GB (v. easy to do), about £17 from Amazon. I've ordered a GPS usb from ebay, this one. Personally I don't rate Maplin's, overpriced for what you get IMO.
I already have a Standard Horizon plotter but wanted a backup system should that fail and this is such a cost effective way to do that it seemed daft not to. Also an excellent way to get a very cheap system. Saw another post on here where someone had a netbook with a SSD and a way of securing it under the sprayhood so it could be seen while steering...

Last edited:

jollyboy

Visit site
Thanks djbreeze - feet not so cold now! I think I'll give it a go, given that the total cost is relatively small.

And....do I detect an Albin Vega? I have AV 1718 Vagrant, on the Menai Straits.

Pete In The East

Visit site
recommend staying clear of Atom processors as they are slow at drawing charts.

Agreed, but a few netbooks have nVidia ION graphics chips and are up to low to midrange gaming performance, so chartplotting should present no issues whatsoever.

These tend to be more expensive and one is getting close to an entry level laptop pricepoint, but the Atom/ION combination will fare much better on battery life.

Pete In The East

Visit site
I run an old version of Tsunamis99 on an Acer InspireOne, using a SERF11 USB, GPS mouse (around £15 off e-bay) and it works fine. Charts are small on the small screen, but still bigger than many chartplotters. Again it runs off 12v direct, but does use a fair bit of power & a 12 hour sailing passage would kill the domestics battery - so be aware of that.

SIRF Star 3 is the latest (and not that late incidentally). It has much better aquisition times, runs at lower power and can work where older GPS units would really struggle to get a signal.

The Acer Aspire One should run for 6 hours on it's own battery, but one could easily set it to standby when not being viewed.

A dedicated marinised 10 inch chartplotter would cost 4 times as much and be better in many respects. I've noticed that prices of dedicated chart plotters have gone up quite a lot in recent years, which is contrary to what generally happens when new innovations become the norm. Electronics products in general usually drop sharply in price over time, but i guess the weakness of Sterling and the burgeoning inflation in tehcountries where these products are made is putting pay to this phenomenon. I guess this is the penalty one pays for being in a relatively small pond - the small leisure craft market.

Last edited:

affinite

Visit site
I run Maptech Offshore navigator on an elderly Compaq laptop (Pentium III) mounted under the chart table. It works just fine. I can passage plan below then setup a GOTO or Route and follow the course uptop using a NASA GPS repeater mounted in the cockpit. It would be nice to have a slave screen in the cockpit but splashproof 8" monitors are very expensive.

Given that my HP netbook can do full screen movie playback, I cant see why any modern Netbook would perform worse than my old compaq for plotting a (relatively) static chart image?

Incidently I can easly replace the laptop for under £50 on ebay if(when) it fails. Cant say the same about the software as Maptech went belly up a few years ago. :)

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
Yes, that's worth bearing in mind, as my Netbook, a Samsung N150, does have an Atom processor!

I use a Samsung N110. It has an Atom processor yet I can run OpenCPN, MemoryMap, SeaClear and GPS satellite status software, SIMULTANEOUSLY with no problems whatever. (No reason why, other than curiosity. I prefer SeaClear)

GPS input is from of those BlueNext bluetooth devices the size of a matchbox simply velcroed under the sidedeck above the chart table. It has no trouble picking up satellites.

SimbaDog

Visit site
Many thanks SimbaDog, I have in fact already ordered the Seaclear DVD. The only problem with that is that I will need to buy an external DVD drive for my netbook, which means more power drain, but I'll put up with that while I see how it works.

Don't netbooks have a USB port? They now do the chart/seaclear package on USB stick, (I have ordered one).

affinite

Visit site
Many thanks SimbaDog, I have in fact already ordered the Seaclear DVD. The only problem with that is that I will need to buy an external DVD drive for my netbook, which means more power drain, but I'll put up with that while I see how it works.

Cant you copy the charts onto the netbook so the DVD Drive drain is a one-off ?

NickRobinson

Visit site
I run Maptech Offshore navigator on an elderly Compaq laptop (Pentium III) mounted under the chart table. It works just fine. I can passage plan below then setup a GOTO or Route and follow the course uptop using a NASA GPS repeater mounted in the cockpit. It would be nice to have a slave screen in the cockpit but splashproof 8" monitors are very expensive.

Given that my HP netbook can do full screen movie playback, I cant see why any modern Netbook would perform worse than my old compaq for plotting a (relatively) static chart image?

Incidently I can easly replace the laptop for under £50 on ebay if(when) it fails. Cant say the same about the software as Maptech went belly up a few years ago. :)

Hi-
Like Searush I use Tsunamis (have Imray and Memory Map too)
How do I connect the 'two wires' on a NASA repeater to the, in my case, laptop and make it active?
My GPS mouse is bluetoothed via a dongle. The laptop is old enough to have a serial port.

Nick

jollyboy

Visit site
My understanding from the Seaclear website is that their agreement with the Hydrogaphic Office is that the charts can't be downloaded, to avoid them then being copied free of charge. You have to read them off the DVD.