Useful Marine Surveyors in Portugal

srm

Visit site
The Azores is a long way from mainland europe
His travel and expenses were extra.

900 nautical miles or there abouts. Its only a two and a bit hour flight from Lisbon or Porto, a lot quicker than flying from the south coast of England to the north of the UK which is the shorter distance.

www.gallantspirit.com
just had to fly out Couts Caledonian surveyors from Scotland to Vigo, primary rason was that my insurers would only accepy a YDSA/IMMS or INMAREST full member surveyor, cost was £950 with costs due to being away 2 days, return flights with Ryanair were £60, he was extremly throrough, and spent 1.5 full days on the boat ( 50ft Oceanis). there were no other approved surveyors that would have not cost more in Spain/ Portugal

greeny

Visit site
Try John Venner based in Portimao. See if he's prepared to go. You may get a more realistic quote for survey but of course there will be travel and hotel costs on top. But that's the same for all unless you find an Azores based surveyor and I've not heard of one.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Try John Venner based in Portimao. See if he's prepared to go. You may get a more realistic quote for survey but of course there will be travel and hotel costs on top. But that's the same for all unless you find an Azores based surveyor and I've not heard of one.

John did hull and rig insurance survey and valuation for me a couple of months ago <€400 cash price including travel from (IIRC) Lagos to Faro, travel cost was split between 2 boats surveyed on the day. Friendly and competent guy, would use him again. +351 925952651

srm

Visit site
But that's the same for all unless you find an Azores based surveyor and I've not heard of one.
I was looking for a surveyor in 2019 and was told by the local yacht chandlers/workers that there was a locally based surveyor who they would contact for me and would do a survey with report in English. However, I heard nothing further and a couple of months later used Mr Skinner as he was working on a boat next to mine. My comments on his lack of professional ability are in an earlier post.

billskip

Visit site
One more thing to say.
If it's a survey for insurance or finance purposes I would take the cheapest option, i wouldn't care about the quality of the report. It would just be a means to an end to satisfy others.
If however it was a pre purchase survey that I was depending on to give me a quality assessment then I would be more concerned about who was doing it and their reputation.
......"If it's a survey for insurance or finance purposes I would take the cheapest option, i wouldn't care about the quality of the report. It would just be a means to an end to"....
Out of curiosity how would that work if in the unfortunate situation one had to make a claim and the insurance refused to pay due to dispute with original survey.
Just a thought....

greeny

Visit site
......"If it's a survey for insurance or finance purposes I would take the cheapest option, i wouldn't care about the quality of the report. It would just be a means to an end to"....
Out of curiosity how would that work if in the unfortunate situation one had to make a claim and the insurance refused to pay due to dispute with original survey.
Just a thought....
Going back a bit Bill to July 2020.
Dispute between who? Them and the surveyor? You and the surveyor? I would think that if a survey is required for insurance purposes and you get one done by a qualified surveyor and they accept it as meets their requirement, they would have difficulty in renouncing it later should a claim occur. I'm no expert in insurance and stand to be corrected of course by experts in the forum. It's just what I would do as I said in the original post.

billskip

Visit site
Going back a bit Bill to July 2020.
Dispute between who? Them and the surveyor? You and the surveyor? I would think that if a survey is required for insurance purposes and you get one done by a qualified surveyor and they accept it as meets their requirement, they would have difficulty in renouncing it later should a claim occur. I'm no expert in insurance and stand to be corrected of course by experts in the forum. It's just what I would do as I said in the original post.
Its more about me being very suspicious about insurance companies...its my belief that if they can find a reason for not paying or reducing cost the will and they will put the ball firmly back in your court.
Long gone are the days when the collected a couple of shillings at the door from my mom and told her to drop a fag on the carpet if she wanted a new one.

greeny

Visit site
Its more about me being very suspicious about insurance companies...its my belief that if they can find a reason for not paying or reducing cost the will and they will put the ball firmly back in your court.
Long gone are the days when the collected a couple of shillings at the door from my mom and told her to drop a fag on the carpet if she wanted a new one.
OK I get that. Maybe I'm just not that suspicious :) having had 2 claims in the past 10 years settled without any issues. It's maybe more about the company you chose to be insured with. I really don't know. I go with a reputable company with a historical good record and take it from there.

DownWest

Visit site
Just to add to the list. Google 'Portugal Marine Surveys.' Bob Goodchild. Currently in Algarve before settling by Evora. Lots oif experience, including wooden boats.

Last edited:

Stingo

Visit site
Just to add to the list. Google 'Portugal Marine Surveys.' Bob Goodchild. Currently in Algarve before settling by Evora. Lots oif experience, including wooden boats.
If that's the same Bob Goodchild that used to be based in Grenada, Crabby-Ian, I've used him before. He was very reasonably priced and got the job done very efficiently. Highly recommended.

DownWest

Visit site
If that's the same Bob Goodchild that used to be based in Grenada, Crabby-Ian, I've used him before. He was very reasonably priced and got the job done very efficiently. Highly recommended.
Yes, I knew him when he was running a cabinet shop in the Algarve, back in the 80s. He then sailed his 27ft woody to the carib. We recently got together and caught up.