Unfriendly Brits -or is it just me

Robin

Visit site
We just returned from our regular cruise to S Britanny, this year though we were on our new boat a very nice Jeanneau Sun Legende 41. As usual we waved to passing boats, sail or power, whatever nationality but fellow Brits totally ignored us, although a few did respond once they saw our ensign. Presumably therefore most Brits do not give a friendly wave to foreign boats, even if they are in their country, I find that very rude indeed.

Likewise when we entered marinas, we were offered help many times by french yachties whilst fellow Brits in adjacent berths just sat and watched.

This seems to be a trend over recent years and now with a 'foreign' boat we are even more likely to be ignored - or is it just us with a bad case of B.O.?

ccscott49

Visit site
The pastime seems to be going in that direction, a friendly wave these days, normally gets no reply, maybe people are getting fed up with waving, because of the no reply and just can't be bothered anymore, Me? I'll continue to wave!

Visit site
There are some....

..miserable old sods around. I've noticed that too. they usually are wearing one of those "Tilley Hats", a striped sweater, ex-army shorts, brown leather sandals and sporting a speckly beard & tortoiseshell sunglasses. The men are usually similarly ugly.

Steve Cronin

halcyon

Visit site
We were only saying the same thing last week.

We used to have a small marina and a lot of swinging moorings, anyone coming into a pontoon was always meet by everyone close by, now with the new marina any one that is on there boat totally ignors you.

The other thing we notice is that 7/8 years ago, nice day, pontoons and moorings were empty, today hardly a boat missing. Whats the differance ?, look in the car park, no longer old wrecks, builders van, now BMW, Merc, Volvos ( nothing against posh cars ).

The average man who enjoyed sailing/ motorboating cannot afford it anymore, there replaced by the new early retirement brigade. Go down the yacht club and they sit talking to themselves, nobody talks to anyone else, the same at sea, they wave to people they know, not strangers.

May be they will get into in years to come, we can only hope.

Brian

iangrant

Visit site
I'll contnue to wave and help anyone in marinas or at sea - few others seem to - especially a certain posh yachy club I've mentioned before!

Ian

Eudorajab

Visit site
Definately not you. Have been noticing this more and more over the recent years. Its not only the lack of acknowledgment I tend to see these days but I have to say I again noticed it this weekend, the almost pointed "look away and pretend not to notice at all" attitude that really gets my blood boiling. Less frequently its the "Ive seen you but am going to ignore you" type look that is so well for lack of a better word "childish".

To my mind and particularly in crowded waters like the Solent, waving (for me at least) serves two purposes. One is to be freindly of course, but the other which is probably overlooked by most is to let the other person know that you have seen them, you are aware of them and what they are doing and (hopefull) where they are going. You are also telling them that you appreciate it if they pass you correctly or if they let you pass them correctly. This particluarly applies to powerboaters who slow down and wait for the gap and costs absolutely nothing.

Dont know what the rest of you think, but it is really annoying when you go out of your way to be freindly and polite only to have some yahoo henry blatently ignore you.

There is always the last resort I guess which is to change the shape of your fingers when its blatently obvious that the "wavee" has seen you but has no intention of acknowledging you. Maybe that will get a response at least !!!!

nicho

Visit site
Oh dear, I'm an early retiree with a Merc., and wave at everybody!!. Strange, but I was only saying to the wife the other day, people in the Solent area seem to be waving a lot more these days!! (and I don't mean abusively).

jimi

Visit site
Re: There are some....

Steve,
when did me & my wife ignore you. We always endeavour to be friendly!

Jim

G

Re: Is it a size thing?

In the Solent at least, I think that the larger the yacht, the less likely I am to receive an acknowledgement. The madman waving to you from the little Itchen Ferry may be me. Have a nice day, y'all.

Robin

Visit site
Also, when we first started to visit S Britanny some 15 yrs ago, it was more of an achievement to just get there and fellow Brits met were very friendly, now with modern navaids and big diesels (yes we have both too) there is less camaraderie. Added to which 80% of the Brit boats in the area are kept there anyway now, I believe some 80 are in La Roche Bernard alone.

It saddens me though that:-

Yachties do not talk to Stinkies (and vice versa)
Wooden Boats do not talk to Tupperware ones
Brits do not talk to foreigners
Brits will not offer help but wait and hope for a cock-up to watch

We did meet some very friendly French yachties and a few Dutch ones and many that offered help when entering or leaving berths, always appreciated since we are just 2 on a 41ft boat. In Cherbourg last weekend which was pretty full with the Figaro Race boats in, we were helped into a very tight berth by a French man from way down the pontoon, he even came on board to collect the 2nd bow line! - this despite the Brits on either side of us who sat and watched. We didn't need help and perhaps they could see that, but what price a friendly gesture?

G

Send me the beard. I already have a hat.

ruthhobson

Visit site
You are right - we were visiting family in deepest Somerset this weekend and had a trip to Weymouth on Saturday there were hardly any boats out!

If I was lucky enough to own a boat (and hopefully we will this time next year) I would have been out on Saturday.. the weather was wonderful. Couldn't understand why you would want to sit on your VERY expensive boat with a view of the council bin lorries when you could have been out.

Ruth
(Counting the days until my holiday, dreaming of Ioanian sun)

jollyjacktar

Visit site
Collision Course

I find that if you head on a collision couse you usually get a wave in the end, although rarely a friendly one. Who said that Brits were unfriendly? I can't believe that!!

oldsalt

Visit site
I sailed in Brittany this summer, most of the South Coast brigade ignored me, however the Northeners, Scots, Irish and French were very friendly.

charles_reed

Visit site
When I was doing rat-running experiments during my undergraduate days, it was a well-known phenomenen that overcrowding first caused reduced social interaction, through highly increased aggression to infanticide amongst rats.

Perhaps it's straining credulity too far to argue this is happening to humans in the UK (though I'm sure one of the tabloids like the Times is likely to have an ill-researched article along similar lines).

On a note of hope - the further you get from the UK the more normal, friendly and social you'll find the Brits. Most of them seem to prefer life away from the UK as well.

Visit site
Of course it\'s true Charles....

...otherwise why would you be doing experiments with rats along those lines.

Too many people is the source of most of the world's ills.

Now back to Tilley hats!

Steve Cronin

ccscott49

Visit site
I agree with you Charles, I always get cheerie waves from Brits in the Balleares, as well as most other water users, including professionals. I'm always available to help aswell when needed, as I have been on a few occasions, helping people with dragging anchors, seems to be a social pastime around here, people dragging past, saying "good morning, here we go again"! My crew shouted to one guy, "your anchors dragging", he replied "I'm on a mooring", Oh shit he says! he then woke me up!!! New anchor for next season, this one is about as much use as an ashtray on a harley!

robp

Visit site

That's no way to talk about Rolph Harris! Anyway, you forgot the black socks...