UK vs Baltic anchoring

syTaika

Visit site
Yes .... obviously he has led the anchor and rode fwd from the stern ..... as the anchor would normally be used as kedge to hold boat off from the rocks.

Use of anchor as he shows - basically using the rock face to lock onto is convenient. But most boats in Baltic will carry rock hooks ... basically an L shaped flat bar metal that slots down into crevises / cracks etc to provide a point to shackle a rope to. The L shape is put into the crevise with top horizontal pointing away from boat - so the line pulls the hook into the crevise. If its put with top facing boat - the line will pull it out.

I am more interested in what is being used as kedge astern !
I had my main anchor, a 15kg Bruce copy, at the stern holding the boat off from the rock and used the smaller spare anchor as a rock hook. The main anchor is normally fixed to the pushpit and the spare anchor is stored in the bow locker. I have a couple of rock hooks as well, but in this case the anchor worked perfectly. And yes, this was the only time that I have used an anchor at the bow so I have no need for a stem roller. Sailing can be very different in different regions, but it's always fun.