UK regestration

santelmo

Visit site
I am about to buy a Portugese registered boat at Vilamoura, spend the winter there then move into the med and spend the summer heading east. I have asked the MCA about reregistering for UK but the paperwork is daunting to say the least and its a £130 fee. If I leave as is am I likeley to encounter problems with officials ie Brit sailing under a Portugese flag? and would I not be able to fly a red ensign anywhere on the boat?. If anyone else out there is going to be in Vilamoura marina this winter make yourself known

<hr width=100% size=1>

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
What have you been told? Part III registration (SSR) is pretty straightforward and cheap. On the other hand - Part I registration is more complicated & expensive. Do you really require Part I ? (marine mortgage on the boat?).

You must fly the ensign of the country where the boat is registered. You could try flying the red ensign on you port spreader a a sort of "house flag". The flag etiquette crowd will sort you out here.

<hr width=100% size=1>Experience is a good teacher, but she sends in terrific bills.

boatmike

Visit site
No way the red ensign can be flown as a house flag. Like you however I see no reason to re-register part 1. Unless you are going to take fare paying passengers or have some other reason for needing part 1 simply register the vessel under SSR and relinquish the Portugese registry entirely I would have thought?

<hr width=100% size=1>

santelmo

Visit site
When I made the call to the MCA I think that I was unlucky to get someone who misunderstood me and I was not told about the SSR (part 3). Now that I know I will go ahead with part 3 (only £12) and can be done online. Thanks for the replies.

<hr width=100% size=1>

davidbuttriss

Visit site
Rather late in replying but nonetheless here is my two penneth. If the boat is Portugeuse registered and therefore fly's their ensign when in UK waters the red ensign should be flown as a courtesy flag on your senior fly ie stbd side, any club burgee or other signal flag being transfered to the port side. NB, the courtesy flag when in UK waters for foreign registered ships is the red ensign and not (r) not the Union Flag. If you should happen to be in Portsmouth you will see that currently the Romanian Navy are incorrect with this very error.

<hr width=100% size=1>