Uk marinas that welcome liveaboards

ukmctc

out cruising, sailing around UK and Europe
Visit site
It's not just about council tax. Marina operators face a whole raft of extra issues if they provide residential berths, and risk tenants establishing security of tenure. So even though many marinas are quite happy to turn a blind eye to live-aboarding, to protect their own position they require berth holders to sign a 'no liveaboard' clause.

insurance, is the issue, will the marina pay the extra or not, apart from that there is no reason for not allowing liveaboards, well apart from some of the trash you get doing it.

AndrewB

Visit site
...well apart from some of the trash you get doing it.
I've never met any live-aboarder who could be described like that. Eccentric, certainly; poor, yes; ... trash, like you find ashore, no.

Does anyone remember "Noah", a forumite who was evicted from Penarth Quays Marina? Certainly one of the most eccentric who kept us all entertained for months, though the circumstances particularly for his wife and three children, really were distressing. I sometimes wonder what happened to them.

Last edited:

FullCircle

Visit site
I've never met any live-aboarder who could be described like that. Eccentric, certainly; poor, yes; ... trash, like you find ashore, no.

Does anyone remember "Noah", a forumite who was evicted from Penarth Quays Marina? Certainly one of the most eccentric who kept us all entertained for months, though the circumstances particularly for his wife and three children, really were distressing. I sometimes wonder what happened to them.

Yes I remember them, thought it was very heavy handed. I too wonder what happened to them.

oldgit

Visit site
Just browsing the forums and came across this thread.Would like to bring to your attention one the the reasons there is some boaty opposition to residential marinas in some areas.
SEWAGE.On the Medway many boat clubs have been complaining for a long time about the amounts of raw sewage being released into the river from residential marinas.The raw lumpy and stinking sewage is washing up and congealing on adjacent slipways and shorelines ,having to launch your dinghy through a layer of "s*** in not fun or healthy and frankly outrageous in the 21st century..The Medway is large tidal river with strong currents so what it is like in an enclosed harbour could be even worse.
The local Health Authorities have no juristiction apparently.
Sooner or later livaboards are going to have to pay to clean up their mess and stop putting raw sewage into the water course.

Last edited:

ianj99

Visit site
interesting, having travelled around the UK in the last five years, I have had no difficulty stopping and staying as a liveaboard for 6 months to 14 months anywhere.
Would be interesting and easier to write list that say no.

That's good news. Looks like marinas are not having too many "boat bum" problems either, though I can see their point about 'no washing in the rigging'.

ianj99

Visit site
I have to say that I am disappointed by the use of Tarbert harbour and other marinas as an open sewer by some boat owners. However it is not necessarily liveaboards who are guilty. I was concerned in July to see kids swimming in the harbour just 50m or so away from an obvious & ominous brown slurry and wondered if any of them suffered the next day.
Except in an 'emergency' I cannot see why the shore side facilities are not used other than for reasons of sheer laziness.

damsis44

Visit site
Royal Clarence, Gosport - we are wintering here and living on board, the marina management seem fine with it, and I did check it was ok in my initial enquiry. There are three boats all doing the same. It's a lovely place to be too, views over Portsmouth Harbour, but tucked round the corner away from the traffic and wash, short walk to the nearest supermarket and plenty of stuff to do to entertain our 5yo.

NormanS

Visit site
That's good news. Looks like marinas are not having too many "boat bum" problems either, though I can see their point about 'no washing in the rigging'.

Devil's Advocate mode. What exactly is wrong with drying washing in the rigging? As I write, my washing is hanging up in my garden. Any complaints?

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Devil's Advocate mode. What exactly is wrong with drying washing in the rigging? As I write, my washing is hanging up in my garden. Any complaints?

Nothing's "wrong" with it. But your garden is (usually) a private area, not much overlooked by the public. Washing in the rigging is overlooked by anyone else around. Many people (not all, and not me) perceive this as lowering the tone of an area. It isn't confined to marinas and yachts; it is quite usual for rented property to have stipulations that washing may only be dried in a designated drying area, or not at all.

This sounds silly, and it probably is! But many people regard being able to see someone else's smalls drying as unacceptable.

maby

Visit site

I guess it is just a reaction to the lack of common sense that a section of the population seems to suffer from. I have no problem with people hanging a few items on the guard rails - done it myself from time to time - the trouble is that rules which ask people to be reasonable in their behaviour are so open to abuse that it is simply safer to say "no washing hanging out to dry"

NormanS

Visit site
I guess it is just a reaction to the lack of common sense that a section of the population seems to suffer from. I have no problem with people hanging a few items on the guard rails - done it myself from time to time - the trouble is that rules which ask people to be reasonable in their behaviour are so open to abuse that it is simply safer to say "no washing hanging out to dry"

(And also)
Nothing's "wrong" with it. But your garden is (usually) a private area, not much overlooked by the public. Washing in the rigging is overlooked by anyone else around. Many people (not all, and not me) perceive this as lowering the tone of an area. It isn't confined to marinas and yachts; it is quite usual for rented property to have stipulations that washing may only be dried in a designated drying area, or not at all.

This sounds silly, and it probably is! But many people regard being able to see someone else's smalls drying as unacceptable. (Quote)

Funnily enough, some people actually like to see a washing hanging out, and blowing in the breeze. Not me, I hasten to add. For me it's a purely practical thing.

We cruise in an area where shore facilties are sparse, and frequently wash clothes aboard. Indeed, we have an "Acme Wringer", (there's not many of them still around), and hang clothes to dry in the rigging. However we are never in marinas, and normally the only boat in the anchorage, so probably don't offend anyone.:D

P.S. How do you include quotes from two posts?

maby

Visit site
use the "multi-quote" button to the right of the "Reply With Quote" button

The button at the bottom right hand side of a post with a double-quote sign next to a + symbol does it. It's to the right of the "Reply with Quote" button. Press it for every post you want to quote, and the "Reply with Quote" button for the last one.

That's what I would have said - if I could actually remember how to use it! :)

NormanS

Visit site
The button at the bottom right hand side of a post with a double-quote sign next to a + symbol does it. It's to the right of the "Reply with Quote" button. Press it for every post you want to quote, and the "Reply with Quote" button for the last one.

That's what I would have said - if I could actually remember how to use it! :)

Thanks for that. See, it worked!

bigwow

Visit site
Well our marina seems to be in the process of being taken over by live aboard barges, it's coming to the time of year when the whole marina stinks of smoke and black sooty marks are deposited on everyone's deck.

hartcjhart

Visit site
Well our marina seems to be in the process of being taken over by live aboard barges, it's coming to the time of year when the whole marina stinks of smoke and black sooty marks are deposited on everyone's deck.

OMG!!!!!! how dare other people live differently
and do you mean the marina we use, not 'our marina'