UK Drone Show at NEC

Binman

Visit site
Was that two dogs on the boat? Do you think you could land the drone on a moving boat, is it normal to be able to watch what the drone camera is recording, on remote screen, that way you can direct the drone during its flight. So many questions, there were a couple of blokes with a drone outside the pub next to our club one Sunday but I didn't find out if they had a boat, to ask the questions, I know they don't come cheap, what did your mate pay for his drone.

Vidas

Visit site
My friend is confident he can launch and recover his drone from the boat whilst underway, so we are going to try that next time.
He can see what he is filming all the time he's flying, though I know the "professional " guys use 3 people Pilot, cameraman and a spotter !
What he used is. Phantom DJ 3 which cost £1,400 inc spare battery and special rucksack, that's everything you need !

Whitelighter

Visit site
you can get FPV goggles but these contravene the CAA regulations on drone flying.

You should fly the drone within line of sight, not above a height of 400ft and not closer than 50ft to people, buildings, boats etc

If your drone is more than 20Kg including all accessory equipment then the airframe needs to be registered and more regulations apply.

Regardless of the size you should not fly into controlled airspace.

sorabain

Visit site
you can get FPV goggles but these contravene the CAA regulations on drone flying.

You should fly the drone within line of sight, not above a height of 400ft and not closer than 50ft to people, buildings, boats etc

If your drone is more than 20Kg including all accessory equipment then the airframe needs to be registered and more regulations apply.

Regardless of the size you should not fly into controlled airspace.

nitpicking but I believe it's 50 metres rather than 50 feet.

https://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1995&pageid=16012

Vidas

Visit site
A modern drone has pre programed GPS which will not allow it to fly above 400' or into controlled airspace !

And for the avoidance of any misunderstanding this is CAA gospel :-

The person in charge of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly the aircraft in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2) except in accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.
The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are:

a)

over or within 150 metres of any congested area;

b)

over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;

c)

within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft; or

d)

subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.

Subject to paragraph (4), during take-off or landing, a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person.
Paragraphs (2)(d) and (3) do not apply to the person in charge of the small unmanned surveillance aircraft or a person under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft.

spannerman

Visit site
My friend is confident he can launch and recover his drone from the boat whilst underway, so we are going to try that next time.
He can see what he is filming all the time he's flying, though I know the "professional " guys use 3 people Pilot, cameraman and a spotter !
What he used is. Phantom DJ 3 which cost £1,400 inc spare battery and special rucksack, that's everything you need !

Nice bit of kit, that's going to be my next drone, the Phantom III Professional, or at least that's what the wife wants me to buy!