UK charts from memory-map

EugeneR

Visit site
In case you use your PC for planning and/or your PDA for real-time navigation, Memory Map has started shipping their marine charts for the UK at £40 - including software and charts! It looked to me like the charts are the same as the more expensive Maptech ones. (which they also sell).

I found Memory Map to be much faster and easier to use than all of the others I have used (quite a few) and it meets all my needs i.e. real-time navigation, doing routes in the pub, speed profiles, syncs with / runs on the home PC, etc.

No relationship with them whatsoever, just a happy customer.

Hurricane

Visit site
Yup - thats about it IMO - now you've got me started again.

I use Memory Map all the time - even scanned my own charts in.
Spent over 30 grand on the Nav kit for our Princess but Memory Map feed into the system for about 50 quid.

I've been using Memory Map for about 10 years now - its the fastest drawing display available. Runs on PC and PDA (iPaq) and now I believe even on an iPhone.

My system on the boat consists of a PC with video signals fed to all the displays (and TVs). The PC also has several GPS inputs - one of which is fed into Memory Map. This gives another, independant navigation system. I also enter routes using Memory Map and then upload them into the Raymarine systems so that durung a passage, the Memory Map software and the Raymarine systems check the progress independantly.

An outcome of this is a database of tracks that can be used as a log and can then be used anywhere - as in my post on our recent trip to Ibiza.

This was entirely produced by Memory Map

Chartlet1_Small.jpg

I have another great use for the system. I have an echo sounder (depth) fitted to my dinghy. The lagoon next to our berth in the Med has varying depths. In fact the chart soundings are really quite accurate but last season, I used the dinghy to do my own survey of the lagoon. Using Memory Map and an iPaq with a GPS, I was able to draw "tracks" where the shallows are. This means that we can take the Princess in much closer that you would normally dare, knowing that my own soundings keep us in the deeper water. I simply "upload" the tracks that were captured during the "survey" and the information is instantly available at Jennywren's helm.

Here's an example

MMExample_Small.jpg

As with you, I have no commercial connection with Memory Map. It seems to me that the author of this fab software must have a connection with boats - AIS receiving options - route planning etc - this software is far from just a "walkers" package.

Last edited:

mjf

w.london - boat on solent- RIB on Tidal Thames
Visit site
I do not quite follow you here - i have memory map admiralty charts and use their offshore navigator lite software.

Its fine on the pc and hand held pda.

Are the whole Uk charts now £40 iso per region?

Even then they are expensive if you compare to the Navionics app I have on the iphone which has N france - Holland etc and all uk for £15.

MarieK

Visit site
My system on the boat consists of a PC with video signals fed to all the displays (and TVs). The PC also has several GPS inputs - one of which is fed into Memory Map. This gives another, independant navigation system. I also enter routes using Memory Map and then upload them into the Raymarine systems so that durung a passage, the Memory Map software and the Raymarine systems check the progress independantly.

Hurricane what type of cables do you use to feed the video signal to the other displays?

Hurricane

Visit site
I do not quite follow you here - i have memory map admiralty charts and use their offshore navigator lite software.

Even then they are expensive if you compare to the Navionics app I have on the iphone which has N france - Holland etc and all uk for £15.

You've made the mistake everyone makes.

There are two products here - the Maptech software called "Navigator and Offshore Navigator" and the one I use called Memory Map.

Memory Map is mainly sold as a "walkers" package for OS maps etc. If you ask the suppliers, they would probably recommend the Maptech product but IMO Memory Map is better and as I say, it seems to me to have been written by a boater.

As far as the iPhone's concerned, the Navionics package seems good value - unfortunately, I dont have an iPhone (in fact I dont really need a phone) and the Navionics software probably wouldn't integrate into the rest of my PC based systems. Good value though and I would probably buy the Navionics software if I ever get an iPhone - but I would probably also put the Memory Map software on the iPhone as well.

Another point in my use of Memory Map is that I have two separate sources of electronic charts - Navionics driving my Raymarine G Series processors and "old fasioned" raster scanned charts running on the PC - belt and braces.

Hurricane

Visit site
Hurricane what type of cables do you use to feed the video signal to the other displays?

We had loads of Cat6 cables run through the boat when we bought her.
From memory, I think there were enough to run 5 separate Cat6 networks.
One of those networks was allocated to PC Video and VGA extenders were connected to each end so that we can run full VGA quality PC feeds throught the boat.
We started by using the cheaper extenders from Lindy but they didnt produce good enough quality so we changed them for better ones.
I cant remember the name of the extenders we actually ended up using - I could find out if you are interested - or Jimmy_the_Builder - knows the ones we used.

Another of the Cat6 networks feeds TV using BlueDelta's Milestone TV distribution system and returns the Sky TV controller to the Sky box for full control throughout the boat.

PRH

Visit site
Yes I saw these and thought it too good to be true so approached MM and found out that the £40 ones are a different standard to the more expensive ones so you can't use the charts on other software. For example I use my old charts on Raytech.

So, if you don't want use the charts elsewhere then it still sounds like a bargin.

Hurricane, I see you output to Raymarine from MM, is it a straight output to a card and then read in on the plotter or is there any conversion? I remember the old MM products you had to output to some other software first then do a save as which was a pain......

mjf

w.london - boat on solent- RIB on Tidal Thames
Visit site
You've made the mistake everyone makes.

There are two products here - the Maptech software called "Navigator and Offshore Navigator" and the one I use called Memory Map.

Memory Map is mainly sold as a "walkers" package for OS maps etc. If you ask the suppliers, they would probably recommend the Maptech product but IMO Memory Map is better and as I say, it seems to me to have been written by a boater.

As far as the iPhone's concerned, the Navionics package seems good value - unfortunately, I dont have an iPhone (in fact I dont really need a phone) and the Navionics software probably wouldn't integrate into the rest of my PC based systems. Good value though and I would probably buy the Navionics software if I ever get an iPhone - but I would probably also put the Memory Map software on the iPhone as well.

Another point in my use of Memory Map is that I have two separate sources of electronic charts - Navionics driving my Raymarine G Series processors and "old fasioned" raster scanned charts running on the PC - belt and braces.
Sorry to be a dim wit.

I am looking at the CD boxes as i write - i have a disc on my pc that is memory map its OS and also installed the navigator software I think.

The other CD box is Maptech marine which has the uk hydrographic office charts.

I like the product and use it as back up on the laptop and pda. Cos it shows position etc on a proper chart. Clicking the tidal daimonds gives real time flows etc as you well know.

Are we talking about the same stuff or am I off at a tangent ?

Hurricane

Visit site
Yes I saw these and thought it too good to be true so approached MM and found out that the £40 ones are a different standard to the more expensive ones so you can't use the charts on other software. For example I use my old charts on Raytech.

So, if you don't want use the charts elsewhere then it still sounds like a bargin.

Hurricane, I see you output to Raymarine from MM, is it a straight output to a card and then read in on the plotter or is there any conversion? I remember the old MM products you had to output to some other software first then do a save as which was a pain......

Yes, it was more complex on my old Raymarine Pathfinder RLx plotters but with my new installation, I connected a NMEA feed to the system from the PC. All I do now is "upload" routes (or waypoints) to the Raymarine system by right clicking the route in MM and "Send to GPS" option. You can also use MM's "Export" options. Just set the Raymarine system into "RX on NMEA" before you send from MM and hey presto the data is transferred. I do it all the time.

Hurricane

Visit site
Sorry to be a dim wit.

I am looking at the CD boxes as i write - i have a disc on my pc that is memory map its OS and also installed the navigator software I think.

The other CD box is Maptech marine which has the uk hydrographic office charts.

I like the product and use it as back up on the laptop and pda. Cos it shows position etc on a proper chart. Clicking the tidal daimonds gives real time flows etc as you well know.

Are we talking about the same stuff or am I off at a tangent ?

I'm prety sure that the software you are using is Maptech's Offshore Navigator. see here http://www.memory-map.co.uk/acatalog/maptech_charts.html
As you say, Offshore Navigator is more focussed at marine use - incorporates tides etc.

The software I use is Memory Map - see here http://www.memory-map.co.uk/software.htm - the version that they use in the UK is really only for "walkers" and is only sold in the standard version. I bought my Pro copy from the US.
I believe that Memory Map software is distributed from the US see here http://www.memory-map.com/ click USA then Software

They are two entirely different products - the one you have is more appropriate for your use - I just find that MM does everything for me and has done for the last 10 years.

EugeneR

Visit site

Whole of UK charts, including Channel Islands, for £40.

I've seen the Navionics charts - bargain too, if you have an iPhone.

Hurricane

Visit site

Yep - that looks like it

Note
Includes full Memory-Map PC Software and Pocket Navigator™ for Windows Mobile.

I believe that this version of Memory Map is the standard one - If you want the Pro version, go to the USA site and upgrade. The Pro has AIS input and allows you to print out charts larger than A4. I often print paper charts on A3 paper and take them on the boat in plastic envelopes. You can scribble on them as much as you like then throw them away and print another (only when you need it).

mjf - note - this isn't Maptech's Offshore Navigator software.

Finally, there's a trick you can do with Memory Map that avoids the need to register the charts more than once. I hate software that insists on reregistering every time that you rebuild your PC - I dont mind paying for software but I really object it requiring re-registration every time you re-install the data. This is the main reason I like Memory Map so much. PM me for details.

EugeneR

Visit site
All it needs...

The Pro has AIS input and allows you to print out charts larger than A4.

If only there was a bluetooth AIS unit out there... (And, while they're add it, I want radar too...!)

My favorite device for this is still the O2 Orbit where you can move the chart with the trackball while accurately plotting routes with the stylus. With the HTC HD2, I don't have the trackball and it struggles to figure out whether I am moving the chart or plotting a route. But it's nice for getting weather forecasts and e-mail, too.

Hurricane

Visit site
If only there was a bluetooth AIS unit out there... (And, while they're add it, I want radar too...!)

My favorite device for this is still the O2 Orbit where you can move the chart with the trackball while accurately plotting routes with the stylus. With the HTC HD2, I don't have the trackball and it struggles to figure out whether I am moving the chart or plotting a route. But it's nice for getting weather forecasts and e-mail, too.

I've recently been playing with some "home brew" electronics called Arduino.
Its a small and hence very cheap PIC chip with a software development platform based round C++.
Using this device with a bluetooth module and a Nasa AIS you should be able to make a bluetooth AIS receiver by using the Arduino to convert the NMEA/RS232 output from the Nasa unit and resend it on bluetooth.

The Arduino project is here www.arduino.cc
There are various different Arduino boards varying in price from £15 to £30 - a bluetooth module is about £15 to £40 - see here http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk

Maybe a winter evenings project.

It may be beyond most people to put these things together.
I've been experimenting by building a "heading" sensor using the Arduino Duemilanove board and a Hitachi solid state compass. The Arduino Duemilanove picks all its power from the PC USB so I had it all working 30 mins after opening the packet.

I can think of lots of little jobs for these very cheap devices.

EugeneR

Visit site
I'm doing something similar, trying to put together a "proper" battery monitor using PIC and LCD display. With proper, I mean it can measure 2+ batteries' Ah and individual currents going into X devices and tank levels and bilge pump cycles, draw graphs of consumption, SMS alarm, etc.

I then decided to make everything wireless i.e. can expand with various "modules" and using software on my PDA as control unit, thereby avoiding having to make too many PCB's. So, have been looking at bluetooth components at sparkfun.com but - assuming the weather gets better quickly - I hope to only have time for this around Chrismas...

In the interim, I am nagging NASA to bring out a higher capacity shunt for their BM1 to cope with a proper engine's starting current... just in case I never complete my own project.

ps. I was forced to upgrade to the latest Memory Map because the earlier ones did not support HD resolutions - in full screen mode, the buttons were way too small and could not be used.