UK’s biggest warship suffers propeller shaft damage off south coast after setting sail for US

SaltIre

Visit site
Considering that this ship has spent most of her life alongside, one cannot rule out the possibility of something silly.
I and a group of friends once chartered a couple of yachts, and upon anchoring in Loch Hourn after sailing across the Sound of Sleat one of the skippers made the mistake of going astern to bed in the anchor. The prop promptly fell off.
That kind of silly? :unsure:

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I and a group of friends once chartered a couple of yachts, and upon anchoring in Loch Hourn after sailing across the Sound of Sleat one of the skippers made the mistake of going astern to bed in the anchor. The prop promptly fell off.
That kind of silly? :unsure:
We had a less catastrophic event. Thinking that the loss of power and different engine sound meant something wrapped round the prop, we also went astern (between, IIRC, Antipaxos & Levkas). The problem was actually a loose shaft coupling so the reverse thrust wound the shaft out of the coupling. The flotilla lead boat helpfully advised us not to lose the shaft+prop as they did not have a spare!

Losing the prop when using reverse for urgent braking would be worse/sillier?

SaltIre

Visit site
We had a less catastrophic event. Thinking that the loss of power and different engine sound meant something wrapped round the prop, we also went astern (between, IIRC, Antipaxos & Levkas). The problem was actually a loose shaft coupling so the reverse thrust wound the shaft out of the coupling. The flotilla lead boat helpfully advised us not to lose the shaft+prop as they did not have a spare!

Losing the prop when using reverse for urgent braking would be worse/sillier?
"We" were happy returning the yacht to the charter base under sail and mooring when we got there, it was from Loch Hourn to Armadale and there was wind, but I wonder what the charter company's insurance policy said!
I wasn't directly involved, having opted to sail on the yacht whose prop didn't fall off. :)
It was pretty obvious either the gearbox had failed or the prop had fallen off - nothing we could fix...
A VolvoPenta 130S-A Saildrive apparently - on a boat driven by sail.;)
CountessS.jpg

penfold

Visit site
If the ship:
a) struck an uncharted object near the RN’s home port
b) struck a charted danger
c) operated propulsion improperly
d) put to sea when not in all respects ready and prepared to do so
e) suffered from a design, a construction or a maintenance fault,

the embarrassment factor for the Ruritanian Navy is not going to be small.
You've left off the possibility it might be something less embarrassing, like a chinese Buster Crabb wrapped around the prop shaft. :ROFLMAO:

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Let us hope that Her Majesty’s submarines are less of a shambles than the surface Navy appears to be, although the career to date of HMS “Astute” hasn’t been entirely glorious.

Putting together the Type 45 destroyer fiasco with the aircraft carrier shambles, when did the Royal Corps of Naval Constructors and their parasitic organisms, Babcocks, BAE and Rolls-Royce, last produce a surface ship that is capable of going to sea?

It’s not a high standard…

Poignard

Visit site
But nowadays that can be tested....
I am sure that even in those far off days it would have been possible to ascertain with reasonable certainty whether or not the headless body was that of Commander Crabbe or, having in mind Operation Mincemeat, that of some vagrant.

Bouba

Visit site
I am sure that even in those far off days it would have been possible to ascertain with reasonable certainty whether or not the headless body was that of Commander Crabbe.
There were pictures of a look alike in the Soviet Union as I recall

capnsensible

Visit site
Let us hope that Her Majesty’s submarines are less of a shambles than the surface Navy appears to be, although the career to date of HMS “Astute” hasn’t been entirely glorious.

Putting together the Type 45 destroyer fiasco with the aircraft carrier shambles, when did the Royal Corps of Naval Constructors and their parasitic organisms, Babcocks, BAE and Rolls-Royce, last produce a surface ship that is capable of going to sea?

It’s not a high standard…
Day-shapes-fishing.png

Bouba

Visit site
It has just dawned on me that perhaps you meant that my memory could be tested.

I seem to remember an appointment being made by my doctor for me to have a memory test but unfortunately I forgot the date and so was unable to attend.
That was the memory test...