Two or 3 blade prop for less prop-walk

ruvane

www.techno-laser.com
Hi all,

I have a 3-bladed prop on my 30' Moody and it's almost impossible to reverse to port. Best I can do is dead astern once she's actually moving backwards.

I need a new prop and was wondering whether it would improve with a 2-bladed prop. Not sure if it makes any difference that it's on a saildrive.

Thanks!

Stemar

Visit site
I can't speak for your setup, but my Snapdragon got easier a little less difficult in astern when I went from 2 blades to 3.

My suspicion, with no supporting evidence, is that the bigger blade of the 2 blader pushed more water sideways at the bottom of its stroke, in more open water, than at the top where it's close to the shaft log.

Bobc

Visit site
Can I suggest that your best bet would be a 3 blade Featherstream.

I had similar reversing characteristics om my boat and now it goes wherever I want it to.

johnalison

Visit site
Any difference from a change of prop will not be large. I would not expect a lot of prop walk from a saildrive, though I get some on my 34. Your best policy would be to learn to live with it and use it to your advantage. When going astern, use the method of a large burst of throttle to get the boat moving and then knock it into neutral to give a balanced helm, and then engage gear when controlled movement is gained.

Tranona

Visit site
Hi all,

I have a 3-bladed prop on my 30' Moody and it's almost impossible to reverse to port. Best I can do is dead astern once she's actually moving backwards.

I need a new prop and was wondering whether it would improve with a 2-bladed prop. Not sure if it makes any difference that it's on a saildrive.

Thanks!
Generally speaking saildrives are better than shaft drives mostly because the props tend to be further away from the rudder so that any prop walk is reduced before it influences the rudder. A change from 3 to 2 blade unlikely to make any real difference and you will have to go up in diameter. while a Featherstream is a worthwhile addition because it reduces drag when sailing and often improves performance under motor not sure it will affect prop walk on a saildrive.

cmedsailor

Visit site
My previous boat had a shaft. Changed from 2 to 3 blade fixed prop and they both had the same prop effect (which I loved it to be honest; nice to have a stern thruster :)).
Current boat has a saildrive and 3 blade fixed prop. You can hardly feel the prop effect.

srm

Visit site
A previous boat had a two bladed prop, current boat three blade. Both with similar underwater profiles, keel hung rudder and prop in aperture, plus similar prop diameter. Also, as far as I can remember, similar prop walk. It was great for turning to stbd in little more than the boat's own length but forget about steering astern.

sgr143

Visit site
Your best policy would be to learn to live with it and use it to your advantage.
If used "to advantage", as JohnAlison says, it can actually be quite helpful when mooring up or turning in tight spots.
When going astern, use the method of a large burst of throttle to get the boat moving and then knock it into neutral to give a balanced helm, and then engage gear when controlled movement is gained.
To me a while to cotton on to that... Obvious - when you see it.

alan_d

Visit site
Generally speaking saildrives are better than shaft drives mostly because the props tend to be further away from the rudder so that any prop walk is reduced before it influences the rudder.
Might you be blurring the distinction between prop-walk and prop-wash? I have always understood prop-walk to be a force direct from the prop, nothing to do with the rudder.
I don't know if you are right about saildrives having less prop-walk effect than shaft drives but if so, might it not be because with a saildrive the prop is closer to the fore-and-aft centre of the boat so exerts a lesser turning moment?

johnalison

Visit site
Might you be blurring the distinction between prop-walk and prop-wash? I have always understood prop-walk to be a force direct from the prop, nothing to do with the rudder.
I don't know if you are right about saildrives having less prop-walk effect than shaft drives but if so, might it not be because with a saildrive the prop is closer to the fore-and-aft centre of the boat so exerts a lesser turning moment?
Also, the prop is deeper in the water and I presume the differential between top and bottom are less marked.

Tranona

Visit site
The 2 are connected. The closer the prop is to the rudder the greater the effect of propwalk if you try and correct. You are right about the fore and aft position and on many modern boats the drive is well forward but suspect on the OP's boat the drive is further aft and closer to the rudder than is usual now. A saildrive prop is also parallel to the waterline whereas a shaft drive is often as much as 10 degrees down, and even sometimes offset to the centreline.

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks for all the input. Going to try the 2-bladed prop - don't think it can get much worse!
Think carefully and do the sums before you do that. A 2 blade is inherently less efficient when motoring than a 3 blade and if your engine power is marginal you may well find a drop in motoring performance. What engine do you have?

V1701

Visit site
As well as bursts of throttle/neutral/steer it's a bit counter intuitive but also worth trying having the rudder half way (you can experiment with it) over rather than at "full lock", you might find that gives you some steerage - at "full lock" you're presenting a flatter surface to the water if that makes sense...