Twister or CO 26

Amp1ng

Visit site
I'm looking to get back on the water this year and mulling over a few possibilities. I'm drawn to the idea of a long keel and both Co 26 and Twister stand out to me for sea keeping credentials, looks and budget, What I'm not sure about is performance. On paper the Co26 promises better performance on account of the lwl to displacement and sail area to displacement ratios but how does this translate in the real world? Anybody got experience of both? How well will either point up and off the wind in a 4 or 5 what sort of speed through the water am I likely to see.

Eyore

Visit site
Dunno about on paper but a Twister is superior in reality in every way, not least proper standing headroom. I used to average 4.5 knots in my Twister on passage and it sailed like a witch pointing incredibly well. Its quite a few years ago so I am afraid I cant remember the tacking angles, but no Contessa 26 ever passed us no matter what the weather.

Seajet

Visit site
I have only sailed alongside both types, but I agree I'd think the Twister a much better boat.

However there should be a massive difference in price, and a small but significant difference in cost of kit like sails etc, and the Co 26 is still a jolly good boat, as the RTIR proves.

Whether the Twister is worth the extra can only be decided by a combination of the OP's budget and what boats are available.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I'm looking to get back on the water this year and mulling over a few possibilities. I'm drawn to the idea of a long keel and both Co 26 and Twister stand out to me for sea keeping credentials, looks and budget

Have you thought about a Frances/Victoria 26? Similar size, good at sea and although still expensive, not very far off Twister territory. There's a story about someone downsizing to a Frances 26 in this month's PBO.

Of the Twister and Contessa, I'd go for the Twister. My boat lives almost next to a Contessa 26 over winter, and while it's a very pretty boat indeed, it always looks rather lightly made to me.

Seajet

Visit site
I have to say I'd much prefer a Frances / Victoria to either; I test sailed a Victoria 30 and was mightily impressed.

Also agree the Co 26 might not be as bullet-proof as some might make out, I remember being alongside one and was surprised how the deck flexed underfoot; I was young and light in those days, and it was probably too long ago for any ' spongey deck ' problem to have had a chance to appear !

However I'm sure a Co 26 could take a lot more than I can, which applies to my boat too.

It's probably just sitting in the warm dreaming about the forthcoming season, but I can't help thinking I fancy the RTIR if I could get a good crew, I've sailed around the IOW casually but of course the RTIR is normally a good date to be anywhere else...

doug748

Visit site
There is no such thing as a better boat design. Just as well get that out of the way at the starting tape. However there are some that will be better for some uses and less good for others.

This is a prolix way of saying, it depends.

If you are mainly local or day sailing/club racing/singlehanding then you will probably find the Contessa handier and the smaller accommodation will not notice too much. If you have an eye on sailing further and living aboard, with crew, than the Twister might suit. Just being aboard a smaller boat at anchor, with limited headroom, can feel claustrophobic.

The relative inshore, flat water speeds are of no importance, they are as near the same as to make no practical difference. I used to race a Twister with a first rate helm, he often won, sometimes I did. I am not a first rate helm.

When I looked for a new boat I travelled far and wide to look at Twisters but the right one did not come along, in the end I took the next step up in size. In many ways the Twister is the next step up in size from the Contessa so it may be as well to take that step now, if you have plans for further afield.

I agree with the others to some extent that you may want to consider other options. Prices have telescoped down to such an extent that it is possible to go up a couple of sizes for very little money. What is your budget? Maybe 6 - 12k? I saw a good Rival 34 go in my yard recently asking c14k and probably went for nearer 13. Not the best option for quiet day sailing but a cracking buy if you have your eyes on the far horizon.

Visit site
I once had a friend with a Contessa 26 and he couldn't see a problem with it - but he was 4 ft nothing! Long keels do seem to point very well but they make up for it in leeway. I once had a go in a Rustler 36 which was lovely till you looked back at the wake! A bit like Concorde in a way - similar shape to 2 long keels lying flat and needs 20 degree angle of attack on approach. Maybe they would be good if they could get supersonic!

Blue Drifter

Visit site
There are several Twisters in Largs Marina at present and they look a treat. Very business like and purposeful with traditional lines, I always take a lingering look when passing. That said the Contessa 26 is also very nice but in my view does not match the Twister. I would not trade a small advantage in pointing ability for the overall package of the Twister.

jwilson

Visit site
Also agree the Co 26 might not be as bullet-proof as some might make out, I remember being alongside one and was surprised how the deck flexed underfoot; I was young and light in those days, and it was probably too long ago for any ' spongey deck ' problem to have had a chance to appear !
Springy foredeck quite common on Co26s, doesn't necessarily mean the boat is falling apart. Agree with everyone else that a Twister is a better boat overall, but watch out for deck/coachroof problems on composite ones.

Seajet

Visit site
jwilson,

do you mean ' springy simply as a result of the design / build ' or ' springy as in spongey, saturated balsa ' ?

Just curious, I know soggy balsa is a pain but not the end of the world.

doug748

Visit site
As far as I know, the British, Jeremy Rogers, Contessa 26 was always solid fibreglass, hull and deck.

The Canadian built ones were different, but there can't be many in the UK.

Balsa in the fabric is well worth avoiding in any old boat.

jwilson

Visit site
As far as I know, the British, Jeremy Rogers, Contessa 26 was always solid fibreglass, hull and deck.

The Canadian built ones were different, but there can't be many in the UK.

Balsa in the fabric is well worth avoiding in any old boat.
As Doug says, just a single-skin layup normally, quite a lot of older GRP designs are like this and you get decks that move slightly underfoot.

robmcg

Visit site
I once had a friend with a Contessa 26 and he couldn't see a problem with it - but he was 4 ft nothing! Long keels do seem to point very well but they make up for it in leeway. I once had a go in a Rustler 36 which was lovely till you looked back at the wake! A bit like Concorde in a way - similar shape to 2 long keels lying flat and needs 20 degree angle of attack on approach. Maybe they would be good if they could get supersonic!

Eh?????? My experience of a long keel has been the polar opposite - leeway negligible compared to our previous fin keeler. Just goes to show not all long keelers are the same. Just wish it would go backwards without the pirouette!:D

Fascadale

Visit site
I've sailed on a Twister, fantastic boat, I've sailed on Co26s, great boats. Twister bigger and faster, but with both boats you pay a premium for the name.

I ended up buying an Invicta 26, more room than a Co26 and perhaps a bit faster..................and now she is for sale, see the link below

ClaireDuet

littleyachtduet.com

Yes a rigger recently told me that Co26's are notorious for 'sagging' when you take the mast down, and then the rigging doesn't fit when you re-step the mast x months later... Personally I don't like the hatch/companionway moulding business either. I went for a test sail in a Co26 a couple of years ago and it was awkward.

Currently, I'm planning a Twister when I finally get sick of banging my head in my 22 footer. A friend has one and she does have very pretty lines.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
What about a Marieholm 26? As I understand it, an International Folkboat (sorry, IF-class) slightly enlarged to give accommodation usable by fully grown adult humans. Rather pretty, too.

beachedbum

Visit site
As a previous Co26 owner, I can only recommend them. Fast? I clearly remember a passage from Cherbourg Grand Rade to Princess buoy Bembridge, a good 60 sea miles in 10 hours. A lovely broad reach for the most part. As for lightly built, I was never in doubt about getting home, and I did wander around quite a bit.
If you can abide the low headroom and would like to put to sea in a boat that will most probably bring you home again - Contessa 26.