Turkish Visitor Visa

BlackSheep1

Visit site
Have just read Rod Heilkells 2010 med Blog which mentions a change in Turkish visitors visas in that you can only have 90 days in 180. Apparently this was a new reg which was to come in last July. I checked with the British Embassy in Turkey who state that after a meeting in Aug last between the British Ambassador and the Turkish Minister of interior it was agreed, that the long established operation of visa regs for entry stay as 90 days, leave then re-enter after being issued with a further 90 day visa....Not it would appear limited to 90 days in 180.
Any one out there in Turkey at the moment who could clarify the present situation as I will be sailing over to Turkish waters from the Ionian shortly and wish to winter in Turkey.

Thanks, Ian

xtiffer

Visit site
I live in Marmaris and have to pop over to Rhodes every 3 months.
False alarm over the 90 in 180 days.
You can still renew your visa every 90 days by popping over to Greece on a day return.
It seems as though it started off as a Schengen tit for tat
and it may well resurface in the future.
The expensive answer is to get a Resident's Permit.
Cheers,
Chris

BlackSheep1

Visit site
Visa

Chris, thanks for that, it seems to confirm what I have been told. I will keep an eye on development/changes etc. I know off other boats planing to sail over to Turkey this year and that will bring cheer.

Regards Ian,

maxy

www.perfect-sailing.com
Turkish residency costs

When you say expensive for the Resident's Permit, how much are we talking.

As others have said the 90 days in 180 rule was quashed within a couple of weeks of the announcement.

Last residency I obtained two years ago was 537YTL . With agent's and notary fees the cost rose to 800YTL approx £350. Even with the cost of four ferry trips to Rhodes, it is still only costs £200 for the year.

The paperwork and time to obtain residency is considerable, unless you have a good reason for wanting residency, stick with the tourist visa.

tonybannister

Visit site
Turkish Visa

I am in Cesme. As I understood it the introduction on the new visa regulations was delayed for 1 year. Part of the objection was the way it was brought in with no warning. Have heard from a couple of sources the Turkish Government is considering having a new category for all those over age 65 for which the annual fee would be 60 lira ??. No confirmation yet whether there is any truth in this. I still have an annual contract but would have to leave Turkey for 90 day periods if the changes remain. Greece is only 7 miles away so could probably work around the new regs if I had to

chrisrog

Visit site
Hi
Are the visitors permits for the people or the boats? We are french but the boat is English. I read that the permits were 10E for English and free for french, is that each?
Is it as difficult as it sounds?

Wunja

Visit site
My experience (flying in) was that it was 10 pounds for UK citizens, 10 Euros for Dutch citizens. Bit of a problem for us, as we are resident in Holland and flew in from Schiphol - We had no Sterling with us. They wouldn't accept the Euro equivalent. We ended up having to go along the queue of Brits that had arrived on a flight from Gatwick, trying to exchange money to pay the visa.

suebabsthenoo

Visit site
Visitor visa

We checked in at Bodrum May last year and we were asked what currency we would be paying in...we are Brits, and at Dalaman airport my friends were told to take £10 notes,don't know if they had a choice 15E is more than £10 so don't see what the prob would be paying in E's

xtiffer

Visit site
I guess it depends on where you are and what side of bed the official got out of that day.
At Marmaris ferry port I have ( as a Brit) paid in sterling, Euros and Turk Lira depending on what I have in my pocket. No problem.
I do prefer to have a tenner in my pocket though.
Cheers,
Chris

Marsupial

Visit site
It all depends on your departure point and your nationality, Lets assume you're British. IF you depart from the UK the Turks expect sterling and a tenner will do, I ve had two fivers refused and and a twenty refused for two of us. IF you arrive from the "EU" say Greece they want Euros. If you dont have the correct currency and the official is in a good mood you might be able to negotiate. . . but dont expect a favourable rate of exchange.

suebabsthenoo

Visit site
£10 notes

In sterling, that is the only note they will accept...I have a stash...we arrived from Greece..still paid in £10 notes,'onest guv,trust moi I am not a doctor!I was there ,checked in May 2010 and out Aug 2010 will be checking back in from Greece April 2011,£10 notes at the ready.
It may differ I guess around and about but this was the info we were given and it proved correct.Fethiye,Bodrum and the gorgeous Bozburun all tried and tested.

akyaka

Visit site
As has been said the 90 day rule is back in force however you will probably get a 90/180 day stamp put in your passport. Ignore this ,they are being used because they have run out of 90 day stamps and are not reprinting pending the announcement of the new rules. Whether you need a visa at at all and how much seems to depend on reciprocity agreements. France and Germany do notpay anything. These two links give current info.

http://www.mfa.gov.tr/visa-information-for-foreigners.en.mfa

http://www.mfa.gov.tr/visa-fees-at-border-gates-for-2010.en.mfa

Again the cost of residents visas varies greatly between countries. Those for UK citizens are expensive ( equal to £40.00 first month and £30.00 per month thereafter), and priced in sterling converted on the day which is why you will be quoted different TL rates. Unless you are looking to buy a Turkish flagged boat do not even contemplate particularly as you will need to have a Turkish bank account and demonstrate regular income.