Turkey

OldBawley

Visit site
We wintered in Turkey on our anchor from 2001 to 2011. The country and people are fantastic.
Whilst we wintered the last years we noticed a chance in attitude the Turks had for us liveaboards.
In the “early” days we ware very welcome, after all we spent all our living costs in Turkey.
Later, the big spender east block charterers came, and the Turks liked them a lot. I remember Memet who was given a 50 $ tip for a few beers ( and Vodka ) All the sudden we ware second hand sailors.
Not that it mattered, we ware self sufficient. The big supermarkets did not discriminate.
There was also a change in attitude by the government officials. Coast guard, passport police ( The worst ) even the doctor ( Health department ) wanted money for a stamp. You could avoid the bacschisch by hiring an agent who then paid the bacschisch for you. For a big fee.

Many may have changed in the 7 years we left Turkey. It just amazes me that where in the past half of all sailing treads had Turkey as a subject, now..... zero. ( This one is the exception )
One other remark, the last winters ware a pain because half of the internet sites ware censored. I hear it is even worse now.

We are not going back, even if the Lira falls even further. Money is not that important.

Resolution

Visit site
We've just been back for a fortnight, including the days when the lira was in free fall. Most of the Turks were as welcoming as ever, the cost of eating out remains low, and no signs - yet? - of shortages of imported goods. Tourism seems to be much improved over the last two years which have been quiet.
On the negative side, police roadblocks are springing up in odd places, and the currency devaluation must work through to even higher inflation soon.

Of course the sun shone all day every day and the sea was wonderful. We will return next month!

Garold

Visit site
In the event of a Brexit no-deal, I think the status of cruising in Turkey May become more important to British cruisers who are located in the eastern Med.

In an ideal world, if we are restricted to 90 days in the EU, it would be handy to spend half the summer in Turkey and the other half in say Greece.

But six months is a long time. By next Easter, we could have a leaving agreement with the EU that keeps some form of free movement, but also, Turkey could have lurched further to the right and become unstable.

The quality of the cruising ground is the one thing that is unlikely to change.

Garold

Crisby

Visit site
Garold, I really hope you are right regarding an agreement, we’ve been waiting 20 years to go off cruising the med, we’ve just put a deposit on a boat and it would be so disappointing to have a 90 day restriction on some of the places we love.

I’m sure Turkey is lovely, I’ve seen the coastline from the air many times ar work over the years, but it has slipped further down our list over the last few years.

Chris

Irish Rover

Visit site
This is a truly wonderful country, a fantastic place to live, a boater’s paradise but probably not for the Don Quixote types who would have the whole world live exclusively by their particular perception of what is right and good.

Crisby

Visit site
Irish Rover, I’m sure it is, seen a lot of it from the air and we are very open to travel as we are currently living and working in Vietnam. It’s just that there are other places we want to do first and being in slightly more familiar waters for our first year aboard will be a great way to start.

Chris

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
This is a truly wonderful country, a fantastic place to live, a boater’s paradise but probably not for the Don Quixote types who would have the whole world live exclusively by their particular perception of what is right and good.

For several years, in fact 9 I used to spend a couple of weeks on the Kas peninsular and got to know a few of the local merchants and restaurant owners. I used to travel a fair bit and one year spent a couple of days in the far East as the guest of a carpet merchant in his home village ( I bought several carpets from him over the years) I do miss the friendly open people, the games of backgammon and I doubt very much that that has changed but the change in politics makes me feel uncomfortable about going again and my wife who has business contacts mainly in Istanbul and the West of the country won't go for a holiday.
It is a great pity because Turkey as a country and people have much to offer but politically it seems to be descending into the dark ages.

Irish Rover

Visit site
It is a great pity because Turkey as a country and people have much to offer but politically it seems to be descending into the dark ages.
I feel the same about the United States but it won’t stop me visiting my son in New York or enjoying a holiday in Cape Cod. I’m perplexed by the lunacy of Brexit but it won’t stop me visiting the U.K. I abhor the racist, fascist policies of the Austrian government but it won’t detract from the beauty of Vienna when next I visit. I could go on.

satsuma

Visit site
The Turkish economy is in free fall, or rather under the control of ill equipped and poorly educated, unelected ministers, appointed by an even more poorly educated, Islamist president! The future does not bode well for the country. As someone previously said, the marinas and yacht industry use euros as their currency, arguably this might be considered protectionist, but more realistically, this is outright profiteering. The marinas charge customers 5 euros (approx 35 TL) for 1 tonne of water. The cost to them is less than 75 Kurus. I am a bit tired, but that is about a 4,500 % markup! It is a similar case with electricity. Whilst it may be a non event for foreigners, it is killing many locals, even with interest rates at 19% , without an income in dollars, euros or sterling it is a from outlook for the nationals here!

Irish Rover

Visit site
The Turkish economy is in free fall, or rather under the control of ill equipped and poorly educated, unelected ministers, appointed by an even more poorly educated, Islamist president! The future does not bode well for the country. As someone previously said, the marinas and yacht industry use euros as their currency, arguably this might be considered protectionist, but more realistically, this is outright profiteering. The marinas charge customers 5 euros (approx 35 TL) for 1 tonne of water. The cost to them is less than 75 Kurus. I am a bit tired, but that is about a 4,500 % markup! It is a similar case with electricity. Whilst it may be a non event for foreigners, it is killing many locals, even with interest rates at 19% , without an income in dollars, euros or sterling it is a from outlook for the nationals here!
If I felt like that about Turkey I wouldn’t want to stay here but as the song says there’s no place else on earth I’d rather be.

satsuma

Visit site
I really don't understand where feelings come into it. I don't believe anything I have written here is incorrect. The new political system here in turkey allows the president to place unelected people in ministerial positions, to the point, his son in law is now the minister of finance and treasury! Look how well that is going! El presidente himself, never graduated from university, which is a requirement for holding the post, he is also an active member of the Muslim brotherhood, and promotes their agenda, above turkey's.
Setur marinas charge 5 euros per cubic metre of water, at their own cost of under 75 Kurus, which is a margin exceeding 4,500%. The ordinary Turkish people, are the one's suffering and struggling in this climate, with rising inflation. Is there something that I missed? Anything unclear or misleading?
Not sure quite where feelings affect these issues, or why I would leave my own country because of them?
But I do understand why many parasites might enjoy the current climate, and take advantage of the financial conditions, and destabilised exchange rates.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Last I heard the change to a presidential system was decided by way of a referendum and the present incumbent was elected with more than a 50% majority. Let me know when you decide to stand for public office and I’ll definitely support you if you campaign for cheaper water and electricity in Setur marinas. It’s a bit fanciful however to think that ordinary Turkish people give an incir about the charges in the marinas. People still remember the crisis in 2001/2 and how the AK party led the country through that. They trust Erdoğan to do it again and even if he doesn’t there hasn’t been a credible opposition here for a long time.

satsuma

Visit site
I don't think the issues you addressed were being argued, your response however really doesn't address the issues I laid out above though! Son in law still minister of finance, all going well there? El presidente still Islamist pushing a religious agenda which is not likely to improve, and there is still significant debate over the fairness or legitimacy of the referendum! For your information, in 2001, the akp simply followed the already agreed, and well laid plan from the exiting coalition government for financial recovery! But let's not allow the truth to get in the way of a good story! Turkish people still dealing with double digit inflation, compounded by the country's massive current account deficit, and exchange rate decline (a 40% loss in one day!) increasing prices further. An "example" of profiteering being a 4500% margin on on water pricing at marinas, shouldn't detract from the wider picture, which includes ordinary people being unable to buy food for their families.
Even as little as 5 years ago this country held great promise and potential, the people were incredibly welcoming and tolerant, manufacturing and production were increasing in all areas, and prices were low and stable. The country is very much now polarised, with significant intolerant examples in behaviours and increasing aggressive displays, just this last week the American Embassy was shot at several times!
These issues are troubling and should cause concern.

nortada

Visit site
In the event of a Brexit no-deal, I think the status of cruising in Turkey May become more important to British cruisers who are located in the eastern Med.

In an ideal world, if we are restricted to 90 days in the EU, it would be handy to spend half the summer in Turkey and the other half in say Greece.

But six months is a long time. By next Easter, we could have a leaving agreement with the EU that keeps some form of free movement, but also, Turkey could have lurched further to the right and become unstable.

The quality of the cruising ground is the one thing that is unlikely to change.

Garold

Ever considered The Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TNRC) as an alternative destination?

The TNRC is outside the EU and independent from mainland Turkey. If Portugal became untenable post Brexit we have considered relocating.

With all the debates over the Northern/Southern Border, interesting there is no problem passing through the TNRC/Southern Cyprus Border?

We have been going to both the north and south for a number of years.

Possibly this post should be in the post Brexit thread?

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site
I really don't understand where feelings come into it. I don't believe anything I have written here is incorrect. The new political system here in turkey allows the president to place unelected people in ministerial positions, to the point, his son in law is now the minister of finance and treasury!

Yes quite, meanwhile Trump appointed his daughter as his envoy and senior advisor along with her husband, Trump's son-in-law

Irish Rover

Visit site
I don't think the issues you addressed were being argued, your response however really doesn't address the issues I laid out above though! Son in law still minister of finance, all going well there? El presidente still Islamist pushing a religious agenda which is not likely to improve, and there is still significant debate over the fairness or legitimacy of the referendum! For your information, in 2001, the akp simply followed the already agreed, and well laid plan from the exiting coalition government for financial recovery! But let's not allow the truth to get in the way of a good story! Turkish people still dealing with double digit inflation, compounded by the country's massive current account deficit, and exchange rate decline (a 40% loss in one day!) increasing prices further. An "example" of profiteering being a 4500% margin on on water pricing at marinas, shouldn't detract from the wider picture, which includes ordinary people being unable to buy food for their families.
Even as little as 5 years ago this country held great promise and potential, the people were incredibly welcoming and tolerant, manufacturing and production were increasing in all areas, and prices were low and stable. The country is very much now polarised, with significant intolerant examples in behaviours and increasing aggressive displays, just this last week the American Embassy was shot at several times!
These issues are troubling and should cause concern.
One would be a fool not to be concerned about the current situation in Turkey. One would be equally foolish to get involved in a debate with a clearly prejudiced commentator who spews out “alternative facts” without a scintilla of proof and who links the profit margin on water in a marina to the marital status of the Finance Minister. I’m a guest in this country and I’ll keep my opinions to myself. If you’re a Turk then stop bleating and do something to change the things you are unhappy with. That’s how politics works.

dod

Visit site
hi IR
Hope you got a good cheap deal on your property (if you bought some) Must be thinking about buying more now that its even cheaper. Euros Rule eh!!!!

Irish Rover

Visit site
hi IR
Hope you got a good cheap deal on your property (if you bought some) Must be thinking about buying more now that its even cheaper. Euros Rule eh!!!!
Are you one of those lonely souls looking for a penpal? A quick search on Google brings up sites like penpalworld.com.