Tuff Luff issues

Andy Sail

Visit site
I needed to replace the worn off tuff luff foil on my 45' cruiser racer, got exactly the same type from Italian reseller, 2206-18. When unrolling it, I had the feeling it was significantly stiffer than the previous one I installed 6 years ago, nevertheless it went up with some effort. When first hoisting the J1, it showed excessive resistance to pulling the halyard on the main duct and we used the side duct instead. Went out racing and missed one race, the J2 was absolutely jammed in the foil at 1/3 height with no way to take it down on rough sea. At further inspection, it seems the foil is not straight and shows a meandering profile at various distances from the lower end above deck.
Claimed warranty to the reseller, they kindly provided a new foil. When opening the box and unroliing, it was clearly deformed from a perfect circular winding and even much stiffer than the first one delivered. Hence, we did not even attempt to replace it but we are left with the problem and the reseller is as frustrated as we are, there seems to be no immediate solution to the issue.
My feeling is that those foils have been stored for too long time and now got "static memory" of the winding, with high risk of deformation when unwinding.
Does anyone have similar experience? Please share....