Trouble ahead

Poignard

Visit site
Currently all foreign yachts from (say) the USA and UK are allowed to stay in any EU country for six months, so nothing will change with a Brexit.
I keep my boat permanently in France so a six month limit will be a great inconvenience.

I don't suppose the many marinas and boatyards that provide berths for British-owned yachts will be very happy either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Currently all foreign yachts from (say) the USA and UK are allowed to stay in any EU country for six months, so nothing will change with a Brexit.

EU Customs territory rules state 18 months at any one time extendable up to 24 months under certain circumstances (though they are not stated in the regulations. After the expiry of that time you need to leave - again no time amount stated and then return and start the clock again. Sensible top have a non EU marina bill or other proof of exit.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Another advantage of not being in the EU is that your boat may be VAT NOT paid. So long as you conform to the rules above you will be better off! (Unless of course like most of us you have already paid VAT!). There may be more problems for some staying over the 90 day in 180 days schengen rules. I am not sure that if you get temporary residence permit then the 18 month rule may not apply....... In Greece you can stop the clock ticking by putting the vessel out of use on the hard. I am not sure how that operates in the rest of the EU.

macd

Visit site
EU Customs territory rules state 18 months at any one time extendable up to 24 months under certain circumstances.

To be clear, the 18 months is for the vessel, not the people on it. Most visitors who are not EU/Schengen nationals have a much shorter window.
As things stand, the rules for UK vessels vary from EU country to country. In many, they can stay indefinitely, sometimes subject to certain conditions. Recent threads on extended stays in Spain and Portugal illustrate the point.
RYA pages on travelling overseas give chapter and verse.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
To be clear, the 18 months is for the vessel, not the people on it. Most visitors who are not EU/Schengen nationals have a much shorter window.
As things stand, the rules for UK vessels vary from EU country to country. In many, they can stay indefinitely, sometimes subject to certain conditions. Recent threads on extended stays in Spain and Portugal illustrate the point.
RYA pages on travelling overseas give chapter and verse.

Mac I should have made it clear I was referring to the rule for NON EU vessels - which was in the post I was replying to!. Rules for EU citizens are more problematical - which is not what you may have expected with the EU - but they seem to revolve around residency ie more than 180 days in 12 months.

Who knows what will happen!

macd

Visit site
So, if we left EC, what about any imported non rcd compliant boats? Would rcd still apply to boats used in UK waters? If not, would they be allowed to visit EC?

RCD is an EEA measure, not EU. The EEA is all the EU countries plus Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein. The UK is currently a member of the EEA. In the event of a Brexit vote, a decision would be made whether to remain in the EEA or not: this is one of the several options bandied about in Westminster ('Norway model', 'Swiss model', etc). The prospect of a post-Brexit UK opting for no trade agreement with the rest of Europe is...well, what would you make of it?

I imagine that whatever happens, the UK would continue with RCD in some form (probably as it is now). Can you see a UK boat builder making non-RCD certified craft? They'd have a very small market.

As to the narrow question of would a non-RCD vessel be allowed to visit the EU after Brexit: I'm sure they would, just as US vessels are now. But, as said, it probably won't come to that.

Depends on what is negotiated. Swiss, Norwegian and Swedish boats have no problems ,being in EFTA

Swedish ones wouldn't have a problem: they're in the EU. EFTA is Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.

Last edited:

lindsay

Visit site
Thanks to macd for clarity. Got confused. As you say, Sweden is in the EU, but not in the eurozone. The UK was a founder member of EFTA but left in 1973 to join the EU. If anyone has time the next rainy day it may be exciting to look up the relationship between the EU, EFTA and the EEA.

Even if our Boris leads us out of the EU those who decide could not be stupid enough not to be in the EEA along with our friends in Switzerland, Norway etc.......or could they??

Carmel2

Visit site
It's a tax all French boats pay, it's annual and based on engine size. I had to pay it in France, in fact I was nicked for non payment and back taxed 3 years and had to pay a fine on top. You sort it out with your local douanes. Have an ask around before you stick your head above the parapet, this was a few years ago that this happened to us, things may well have changed.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Interesting. I am a British citizen officially resident in Sweden. My boats have dual registration. SSR and Svensk båt Union. (yes I know it is frowned on). So easy to do I couldn't resist it.