Trotman Slumboats

Lower Limit 1909

Visit site
Trotman's B&B Slum Boats are back in Kingston as of a couple of days ago. Doesn't look like last year's legal action has had any impact whatsoever on their commercial operation.

1651531907443.png

Gibeltarik

Visit site
I suspect he regards as an occupational hazard -I wonder if he pays sufficient tax though as I suspect an HMRC investigation might be more effective.
EA have reported that the fine and costs were ordered by the court to be paid at £200 per month. That is about 4 nights rental for one cabin on one of the boats - board only!

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
That one with the red tug was in that position (Queens promenade) on the 10th of April this year when I passed.
One must assume that Kingston council do not have a byelaw to sort this as yet.

Seems likely it is council owned land. The boats do not tend to occupy royal parks land. I wonder if the royals have some proper security people who one does not mess around with.

Scapegoat

Visit site
That one with the red tug was in that position (Queens promenade) on the 10th of April this year when I passed.
One must assume that Kingston council do not have a byelaw to sort this as yet.

Seems likely it is council owned land. The boats do not tend to occupy royal parks land. I wonder if the royals have some proper security people who one does not mess around with.

DE had the contract for HCP last year. I think Kingston do have, or have proposed, by-laws and had a public consultation on river moorings last year.
it will be interesting to see what, if any action is taken.

Visitor boat moorings – www.kingston.gov.uk

Overall, there is no evidence of action that can be or is taken by the EA to deter this river squatting.

Last edited:

Actionmat

Visit site
He's been on Queens Pomenade for at least a year and has been joined by a collection of unlicensed liveaboards who've learned that where he goes, free residential moorings are to be had. His two slumboats at Hurst Park are still there too. Nothing short of confiscation will put an and to his business.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
They would be terrifically expensive to break up. If the EA still had the crane at Sunbury it would be reasonably straightforward but without that it's going to be complex. You'd probably want a tower crane.

I find it quite interesting to consider who would or could do that job bearing in mind that the PLA have already blocked the EA from towing one of the craft through Teddington.

At the end of the day it's either leave them alone or break them up.

No other options here really are there.

Time Out

Visit site
He's been on Queens Pomenade for at least a year and has been joined by a collection of unlicensed liveaboards who've learned that where he goes, free residential moorings are to be had. His two slumboats at Hurst Park are still there too. Nothing short of confiscation will put an and to his business.

Yup. Saw the full house yesterday!

Scapegoat

Visit site
I find it quite interesting to consider who would or could do that job bearing in mind that the PLA have already blocked the EA from towing one of the craft through Teddington.

Maybe the EA could take note and be more stringent on the vessels that want to transit upstream through Teddington.
Requirements for a Licence, current BSC and proof of insurance would be a good start.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I think Teddington lock is PRN which means lock keepers are not authorised to stop craft transiting.

Apparently they have powers around blatantly unsafe vessels but these boats where brought through Teddington however many years ago (15+) as bare hulls or in the case of the old Dutch water board boat a cabined commercial craft in reasonable condition.

The awful constructions on top were added once the boats were on the non tidal Thames.

Actionmat

Visit site
The constructions on top are the result of years of skip hunting. Its only a matter of time before one of his hotels catches fire and when that happens there'll be questions asked as to how his business was allowed to operate for so long.

Scapegoat

Visit site

Time Out

Visit site
He is actually a good friend joking aside ! His partner Jemma runs Teddington lock.

He’s had two years of dealing with thugs on the underground so has no issue with handing out tickets !