Trotman Slumboats

normskib

Visit site
Does anybody know what happened in the Court case regarding the outcome of the Alistair Trotman court case regarding his Slumboats ?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I don't know what the result was but given that the misdemeanour seemed to be breach of byelaws perhaps the punishment was a fine.

It seems to me that if there had been anything spectacular the EA would have published it somewhere.

One could probably find out by calling Staines Magistrates Court.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Yes but the last words on the second link are "will be sentenced on 24th November".

This is what the OP was asking about.

The actual outcome of the successful prosecution.

I reckon it will just be a fine and costs.

Bearing in mind how close the boats were to HC station I expect that the rental income while they were there on the layby will have easily covered any future nuisance fines caused by byelaw offences.

Carry on as usual me thinks.

Slightly odd that the HSE have not waded in on it. They get in everywhere else on life but not there apparently.

Surely they could have shut it down years ago as a hazardous situation.

Those boats are a gold mine.

Northern Star

Visit site
Whatever and in time these boats do seem to be either sinking or fecking off elsewhere as the EA does now be more active.

We shall see but in the meantime on a deserted river people seem to be moaning an awful lot about nothing and just get out there and enjoy it like I am hoping to be at Hampton Court Palace for Xmas day.

Life is too short and the last two weeks we went up and down river we had it pretty much to ourselves.

Some people on here need to actually get a boating life and the forums are just full of crap and moaning minnies from the south east!

Look at all this inane crap : New posts

Chris_d

Visit site
Some people on here need to actually get a boating life and the forums are just full of crap and moaning minnies from the south east!

Look at all this inane crap : New posts
Oh the irony of that post :D

But agree its great to get out there over Christmas if you can, the river is glorious in winter sometimes.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Interesting to see what happens about all these "TBC" lock overhaul closures. Starting 1st December. Most of the locks between Windsor and Henley are written down as lengthy closures but as far as I know none actually closed.

Both my boats arrr above Staines and I don't generally like the lower end of the non tidal lately so if these full hydraulic upgrades do take place I will be rather hemmed in.

I suspect they won't take place but still interesting. Hambleden definitely needs sorting.

Gibeltarik

Visit site
With all as his earnings he can afford it! Cost of doing business.

How on earth did EA run up a legal bill of £20K? (which will probably go to EA central funds - not Thames Navigation as 'enforcement' is an area activity)

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
It's an interesting spot there.

I was told by someone now deceased who knew this subject very well that the boats are actually legally positioned in that particular place.
Just below Garrick's ait by the car park. They have been there on and off for about 15 years now.

Something funny going on there. I think the vessel owner might own a bit of the riverbank land there.

It's a curious story this one. Fire brigade condemn the boats,, nobody wants them around yet they remain.

Maybe it's a mafia thing or the right contacts.

Nobody has copied the business model as far as I know despite it being obviously quite a nice earner.

normskib

Visit site
What’s going on ? Has something happened that I don’t know about just walking into Kingston not one single boat moored outside the John Lewis reach haven’t seen the moorings so empty in the last 10 years has there been a purge ?

Scapegoat

Visit site
What’s going on ? Has something happened that I don’t know about just walking into Kingston not one single boat moored outside the John Lewis reach haven’t seen the moorings so empty in the last 10 years has there been a purge ?
Kingston had a survey late 2021 about river moorings. Maybe they have introduced bye laws that allow them to take action against overstayers

normskib

Visit site
Certainly something drastic has happened on the third week running no over Sayers on the mooring very strange !!!