Trip Report - Northern Ireland

Solostoke

Visit site
The rough idea was for August to be spent in Northern Ireland getting a real good feel for the place by dotting around the place only an hour or two sailing at a time. That would maximise time ashore exploring. My boat is a 1990 Beneteau First 41s5 called Little Rebecca that I have spent the last two summers on with this being the third.

I'm going to write up my trip report day by day and post them in this thread.

25th July finish work...
Finished work for the summer, had a swift pint with my colleagues and then got dropped off at Shrewsbury train station. Caught the train to Conwy to Nantwich to meet Fiona and then back on the train to Conwy. We walked to the marina along the river path.
20230725_204112.jpg
A lovely evening view with my berth being easy to get out over the tidal gate the next morning.

We met Laura and Carl who were already on board and filled the water tanks and received an online shopping order. Spent some time putting all the food and drink away before a relatively early night ready for the 0430 start the next morning.
Carl is experienced on the water as a warden at Windermere but not at yacht sailing and Laura had no prior experience at all. Fiona had about a weeks worth of sailing with me over the last year so knew what she was getting into at least!

26th Conwy to Port St Mary IoM
Me and Carl got up and slipped out of Conwy just after HW so as to catch what favourable tide there was at neaps to head towards the Isle of Man.
20230822_234033.jpg

As soon as we rounded the perch the sails were set and we ignored the channel to nip straight over the sandbanks. The morning was beautiful and we made good progress.
The girls surfaced with around 40miles to go and made fresh coffee.
20230822_234141.jpg
Fresh coffee underway is one of my favourite things, sitting on the rail as the waves slip by there really is little to worry about.
The weather held out until nearer the Isle of Man where things got very very wet. Wet enough to find holes in my coat but thankfully not my salopettes. It was at this point I regretted not bringing more than one jumper or jacket. With the rain came more wind. One reef went in. Then the second. I always reef both sails down the same amount and find that she stays quite well balanced.
20230822_234250.jpg
We maintained around 7kts average. Often spending long times above 8kts. She really likes longer passages where you can trim the sails and let her find a groove. I struggle to find the same speed out of here on shorter legs, I don't really know why.
Normally I'd head for Port Erin on the Isle of Man but the forecast was for a Westerly blow so thought I'd try Port St Mary and a visitor mooring. We hooked the mooring and threw the tender in. As I was just fitting the outboard Carl stepped down off the helmsmans seat and hit the end of the boom square on in the middle of his forehead. One first aid box rummage later and a bandaged head and the rain cleared the blood up. It really needed stitches and a careful eye was kept on the concussion that accompanied the cut.
Unperturbed we headed ashore to have an explore but it was so wet we were driven into nearest (only) pub. The Albert gave us a warm and dry welcome and didn't bat an eyelid at peeling of waterproofs galore and hanging them at the door in a puddle. A few drinks and it was back towards the yacht. The boats in the mooring field were bouncing as the swell rolled around the breakwater wall and with the visitors moorings furthest out we were worst off. The bow was jumping a good four or five foot and it wasn't forecast to die down. I dropped Carl off on the breakwater wall as the visitor section was empty and me and the girls jumped back aboard. It was now so bumpy we couldn't get on at the swim platform and had to climb up through the gate midship.
We quickly set fenders and lines and then headed to Carl who tied us up tight inbetween the fishing boats either end of us. The boat was dead still hidden out of both the wind and swell. The relief on the boat of the prospect of a good night's sleep was evident and it was by far the right decision to move her there in testing conditions. Now we were safely alongside we ordered a pizza in from Port Erin and the delivery driver was more than a little puzzled when I popped up from the ladder to grab them. We were tucked up in bed by eleven sleeping soundly in our still beds.

Solostoke

Visit site
27th Port St Mary to Bangor via Calf Sound

Being on the lee side of the breakwater the night was blissfully still and everyone was up ready to slip the lines at 0820. There was less than 3m in the channel along the wall, and drawing 2m I backed out rather than risk turning around. Fenders and lines were stowed in the shelter of Port St Mary before heading around the wall and turning West for Calf Sound. Slack water was at 0912 and the wind was straight from the West so we motored through the waves and we're within 100yards or so of the surfers. I don't know who was more surprised to see each other!
20230823_141508.jpg
We came through the narrow and slack Calf Sound exactly at 0912. Sails were raised and there was a straight 45nm run to the next way point. Wind was now a steady 15kts, 45degrees or so off the bow and she was double reefed and pulling a comfortable 7kts. As I've got used to her I've reefed her early and I don't think it actually kills any speed when I look at the logbook. It certainly feels slower, being more upright, but it is also so much more comfortable for the crew, especially being an unexperienced crew such as these.
20230823_141552.jpg
Laura and Carl were loving the better weather and spent some time sat at the bow and learning knots etc. passing time.

They were already discussing courses and boats to look at, the bug had well and truly bitten!
20230823_141615.jpg
No real navigating to be done for a few hours, just filling the log in and aiming to get through the Donaghadee Sound by the Copeland Islands with a fair tide.

We came through the Donaghadee sound with the start of the ebb helping us. There seemed to be some counter current swirling from Skullmartin Rock towards Donaghadee slowing us down but the actual sound sped us up and as we swung past Ballyholme we put the fenders out and prepared the lines. I often sail solo so the ease and speed with which the fenders and line appear always astounds me.
A quick radio into Bangor Marina and we were given F15 to find. Bows in and port side to, easy. A great sense of accomplishment all round and especially for the novices aboard. What a first sail. Two days across the Irish Sea and into a new town. We headed up to the marina buildings for showers and to head into the town. We walked around to Ballyholme bay and the co op to restock some supplies. We came back on board and cooked a stir fry to eat in the late evening sunshine say in the cockpit.
The two days had a bit of all weather and sea conditions. Certainly challenging enough for a real sense of achievement as well as plenty of type one fun.

Solostoke

Visit site
28th Bangor to Belfast
20230824_231456.jpg
20230824_231317.jpg
As Concerto recommended/guessed the next day was the obvious choice of a trip down to Belfast into the marina for two nights. I rang ahead to the marina as I wanted to be sure of a berth and of the protocols for entering the Belfast Harbour area as I had read some conflicting reports.
The berthing master confirmed that it was fine to sail down to buoy 12 and then radio Belfast VTS (port control) for permission to enter the channel (under engine only).

The wind was fickle and it was a slow sail past the guns on Grey Point.
Listening to the radio chatter to Belfast VTS from the commercial traffic reminded me of my previous yacht and the year in Dover. I think I am going to move berths back to down there next year (or should it be North to Rhu?).

Coming into Belfast past the large commercial ships lead to bulging eyes for Laura and Carl, we slipped past Samson and Goliath and then turned the corner into the Abercorn Basin where the berthing master was waiting to take our lines. I came in and spun her one hundred and eighty degrees to starboard. Keeping the wheel hard over and moving from forwards to astern turns her almost on the spot and we eased alongside port side to.
20230824_231208.jpg
Tied up safely we walked off the pontoons and checked out the facilities. A great marina in a wonderful location. We all fell in love with Belfast and will be returning soon. £25 a night for city centre accommodation!
We headed into the city to explore the markets and grab some food.

Concerto

Visit site
Carrickfergus, Ballycastle, Rathlin Island and Strangford Lough, especially Portaferry and Quoile Yacht Club. These 2 videos will give you a taste of the area.

Round Britain part 9 Gigha to Carrickfurgus

Round Britain part 10 Carrickfergus to Douglas, IoM.

Solostoke

Visit site
Carrickfergus, Ballycastle, Rathlin Island and Strangford Lough, especially Portaferry and Quoile Yacht Club. These 2 videos will give you a taste of the area.

Round Britain part 9 Gigha to Carrickfurgus

Round Britain part 10 Carrickfergus to Douglas, IoM.
My trip reports are from the past.... I'm currently sat in Manchester Airport train station.

I can confirm that I made it to some of those places and that some of them were on my hitlist after following your trip reports concerto.

Concerto

Visit site
My trip reports are from the past.... I'm currently sat in Manchester Airport train station.

I can confirm that I made it to some of those places and that some of them were on my hitlist after following your trip reports concerto.
You should have tried writing them up on a daily basis after sailing, not in Manchester. Editting the videos is such a time consuming activity. Hopefully tonight I should complete the 12th part of my trip covering Dale in S Wales to the Solent.

Solostoke

Visit site
The trip is busy enough with a full boat. My evening routine is to get ashore and have a run by myself every night too. I wrote rough notes each night and then I'm padding them out now. The dates of each leg is in each post.

Solostoke

Visit site
The trip is busy enough with a full boat. My evening routine is to get ashore and have a run by myself every night too. I wrote rough notes each night and then I'm padding them out now. The dates of each leg is in each post.
I'm flying back out in a few days to sail her back so there's more airport time for me to come.....

Solostoke

Visit site
29th July Belfast
A great day being tourists in Belfast. A walking tour of the troubles flash points with DC tours was a particular highlight. As was more great food from Common Market. We waved goodbye to Laura and Carl as they flew home leaving me and Fiona to celebrate her birthday with a meal out.
20230825_214932.jpg
20230825_215003.jpg
30th July Belfast to Bangor
Sad to leave Belfast as we really liked it here and I'd soon be heading back for some more!
Fiona has recently bought a narrowboat and is more than a bit nervous at taking the helm of that so I made her take Little Rebecca out of the marina and into the channel out past the Twins.
The little nudge to perform under the pressure of lots of watching tourists heading to the titanic led to big grins and massively improved confidence. It was great to see.

20230825_215023.jpg
20230825_215044.jpg
Motor out to buoy 12 and then leave the channel to the South, sails raised and a slow reach in 6kts of wind up to Bangor Marina where we back onto F leg, under Pickie Park. I'd much rather be out at anchor but this first part of the trip was all about enjoying easy time ashore with more of a holiday feel to it.