Trawler Conversion

G

I am concidering converting an wooden trawler to a cutter rigged sailing vessel, does anyone have any relevant experiances, I have seen similar boats working as dive boats.

Skipjack

Visit site
I had a look at a de-commissioned trawler in Trondheim last year, that was due to be parked at the bottom of Snilfjord. You certainly get a lot of boat for your money, but the 9' draft (on a 44' hull) was a limiting factor for the East Coast. There's a guy called Jeff Lane in Bergen who can fix things up. They are beautiful sailing hulls, with voluminous accomodation.

G

If she wasn't initially built with sails get the hull design checked by an expert - ie qualified marine architect or someone with proven experience of successful conversions. I know of one case in the 80's where a group tried to convert a north east coast fishing boat into a charter sailing boat and it finished up so unstable due to extra wt aloft that is couldn't be taken to sea and they nearly lost her on sea trials.

Roly, Voya Con Dios, Glasson, Lancaster

G

I remember once having a conversation with Peter Gregson of Wooden Ships yacht brokers about this. I think he has some experience and might be worth a call

G

You should be able to find some advice via the 40+ Fishing BOAT Association.

40-Plus Fishing Boat Association,
7 Ceinwen Terrace, Gwynfor, Anglesey
North Wales. LL60 6LU
Tel: +44 (0)1248 440424