Travel insurance - amber countries - suggested insurers (and risk of misselling)

RJJ

Visit site
Hello

Currently shopping around for our planned ten-month cruise. So far I have quotes from Topsail and Battleface that seem to "work", given that I have ambitions to do more than sail to Gibraltar, St Helena and the Falklands.

other extended travel policies are available, but seem to be hiding behind FCDO "advice" against non-essential travel to amber list countries. Which is a system allegedly to protect the UK rather than having the slightest impact on the risks to the insurance company.

So I'm looking for suggestions on other companies to try. Many thanks indeed.

Tranona

Visit site
Hello

Currently shopping around for our planned ten-month cruise. So far I have quotes from Topsail and Battleface that seem to "work", given that I have ambitions to do more than sail to Gibraltar, St Helena and the Falklands.

other extended travel policies are available, but seem to be hiding behind FCDO "advice" against non-essential travel to amber list countries. Which is a system allegedly to protect the UK rather than having the slightest impact on the risks to the insurance company.

So I'm looking for suggestions on other companies to try. Many thanks indeed.
Not a question of "hiding". The advice on "amber" countries is because the prevlance of Covid is high in those countries. If you require medical treatment the insurer would not cover it. It has always been the case that insurers will not normally cover countries against Govt advice.

RJJ

Visit site
Not a question of "hiding". The advice on "amber" countries is because the prevlance of Covid is high in those countries. If you require medical treatment the insurer would not cover it. It has always been the case that insurers will not normally cover countries against Govt advice.
Yes, it has always been the case, for good reasons, which don't apply here.

Before the world went mad, Government advised on risks to the traveller (and therefore the traveller's insurer). Now, government advice regards risks (such as they are) to others, upon return. Whatever those risks are (noting vaccination, minimal infection rates in most "amber" holiday locations, particularly relative to the rate extant in UK, testing and quarantine arrangements on return etc) they are risks to others, not risks to the insured. FCDO is being (ab)used as an instrument of UK lockdown policy, rather than to protect the individual traveller.

Prevalence of Covid is "high"...as in, for example, Portugal, which has been recording 1-2 deaths per day since the beginning of May? Or Morocco - 3-5 deaths per day? Or Grenada, where the citizens are positively toppling at the rate of 1 per month?

The insurance companies' reps are (and I've been on the telephone to a few of them today) perfectly happy to sell you / me holiday insurance nonetheless. They know full well it's unsuitable for anyone going on holiday (unless to e..g, the Falklands), but they're happy that's hidden in the small print.

PPI had nothing on this.

colind3782

Visit site
I'm off to the boat in Spain tonight for essential maintenance and I have insured through Avanti with an extra premium of £5 for travelling against FCDO advice. Total premium for two weeks for two is £42 but they do annual policies. Google insurance against FCDO advice and lots come up.

Reactions: RJJ

RJJ

Visit site
The BMC insurance specifically states that they cover your going to amber list countries
Thanks
You are aware that Grenada’s one a month equates to twenty a day when compared to UK population?

I'm off to the boat in Spain tonight for essential maintenance and I have insured through Avanti with an extra premium of £5 for travelling against FCDO advice. Total premium for two weeks for two is £42 but they do annual policies. Google insurance against FCDO advice and lots come up.

Thanks, worth a look!