Transom ladder

Gixer

Visit site
I’m getting one made at the moment. I bought a second hand ladder and am getting it modified by a local fabricators.

I mocked it up out of pvc pipe and gave it to him as a pattern. I’ve extended the length and asked for an angle to be put in which means it’s pretty much vertical in the water and when raised follows the angle of the sugar scoop up to the pushpit. The bars sticking out work as standoffs when the ladder is raised.

7A325C7A-4786-4E3E-95D2-5DE404037BC8.jpeg
This is similar to the one I bought second hand. Stainless steel boarding ladder with handle for sailing boat

fredrussell

Visit site
I'm a solo sailor who is strapped on when appropriate. If I end up in the water a scaffold on the back of my boat won't be of any use.
I never get this approach. Say you’re anchored somewhere quiet/remote, do you remain tethered whilst moving around the deck? If you end up in the water why would a ladder on the back of your boat (enabling you to get back on boat) be of no use?

jdc

Visit site
It's not answering the question as posed, but despite us having a near vertical transom we don't have the ladder there, it's mid-ships. When climbing aboard in a bit of a swell it feels much safer there as rolling tends to be slower than pitching, and there is no abrupt change of angle in the hull side whereas at the stern you could be smacked by the hull.

johnalison

Visit site
Stern ladders can be the best resource for someone falling into a marina, when the pontoon ladders are few and hard to find.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I never get this approach. Say you’re anchored somewhere quiet/remote, do you remain tethered whilst moving around the deck? If you end up in the water why would a ladder on the back of your boat (enabling you to get back on boat) be of no use?
A boat moving at any speed is not the same as a boat at anchor. Look at the picture I posted earlier. For your scenario which is extremely remote, I have a solution which I can reach from the water and have tested to be sure I can climb up it. Although to be honest it's not easy.

PabloPicasso

Visit site
A swim ladder, for occasional family picnic sailing, with temporary mount amidship on the toerail by the shrouds might do.

I have an old aluminium loft ladder in the garage, its long enough. I'll make a toerail mount braket, and a buffer to keep it off the hull in use, and see how I get on.

William_H

Visit site
I think if it is to be a ladder accessible from the water at any time then it must be on the transom. I can't see a mid ships ladder being available to pull down, but in place, in cases of severe heel. So support OP desire for usabe ladder on transom. Transom should be extremely strong near the bottom bend to hull bottom. ol'will

Dipper

Visit site
My sailing boat has an angled transom and the ladder does not get anywhere near the water, even with lowest step folded down.

It makes getting aboard after a swim difficult for the fit, and impossible for some.

I've consideted getting a longer fold down ladder, but I suspect the angle will just put too much pressure on hinges/fixings. Or will just not reach into the water far enough.

Am I missing any simple solutions?
I have the same boat as you with the same problem. I had considered getting a longer ladder then having a bend put in it but wasn't sure how neatly that would stow. In the end I lowered the mountings (with suitable backing pads) so that the lowest step was below the waterline. I'm glad I did because later I fell off the stern of my boat fully clothed and wearing wellies (and a lifejacket) whilst exiting my dinghy and managed to clamber back on board by kneeling on the lowest step and hauling myself up. No one was around at the time so it could have been much worse. I managed to salvage my car key fob that was in my pocket at the time but that's another story (it's still working many years later).

PetiteFleur

Visit site
My stern ladder is in two halves, the upper half folds down with a catch on the top rung. Like Dipper I also fell in the water when getting into my dinghy four years ago. Impossible to get into the dinghy so worked my way around the dinghy to reach the ladder. It was very difficult to reach the catch but eventually managed it, folded down the ladder and climbed aboard. I was fortunate as the river was calm, water warm and had a change of clothing on board. I've now fitted a cord to the catch, via a pulley on the stanchion to an orange T handle about 6" above the water so easy to grab to release the catch, lower the ladder and climb aboard.

PabloPicasso

Visit site
I have the same boat as you with the same problem. I had considered getting a longer ladder then having a bend put in it but wasn't sure how neatly that would stow. In the end I lowered the mountings (with suitable backing pads) so that the lowest step was below the waterline. I'm glad I did because later I fell off the stern of my boat fully clothed and wearing wellies (and a lifejacket) whilst exiting my dinghy and managed to clamber back on board by kneeling on the lowest step and hauling myself up. No one was around at the time so it could have been much worse. I managed to salvage my car key fob that was in my pocket at the time but that's another story (it's still working many years later).
Hi Dipper. Sorry to hear you fell in, but glad you were able to get out safely

I think the ladder I have would be too short even if I repositioned it lower. But glad to know that the transom can support a ladder attached lower down. A longer folding ladder fitted lower would seem to be my best option.

geem

Visit site
It's not answering the question as posed, but despite us having a near vertical transom we don't have the ladder there, it's mid-ships. When climbing aboard in a bit of a swell it feels much safer there as rolling tends to be slower than pitching, and there is no abrupt change of angle in the hull side whereas at the stern you could be smacked by the hull.
It might depend on your hull shape. We have a vertical transom with a ladder that extends 3 steps into the water. Super easy to board from the water, even in a big chop. The transom doesn't smack into the water when a boat sends swell into our stern. In addition, the boat doesn't move much as it weighs +18tonnes.
I think sugar scoops present the greatest challenge to board from the water when the boat is bouncing. Its something we do quite often in the Caribbean when visiting friends boats for a sun downer. What do you grab for on the stern? There is nothing. A vertical ladder is so easy

jdc

Visit site
It's not only the hull shape, but the wind self steering as well which is a hazard. Anyway, there are many ways to skin a cat...

Other threads that may be of interest