Trailer issue ( Garage Clearance )

Karnic

Visit site
Was wondering in order to gain some garage clearance, when putting boat in garage, is it possible to change trailer rim with a smaller diameter rim or should i change the tyre with a lower profile one. Currently garage clearance is only few mms and wish to gain at least a few cms buy modifying trailer wheels in order for better and safer clearance when maneuvering. Any Ideas? Appreciate your kind help and ideas.

Alicatt

Visit site
Just a cautionary tale...

Stormy night at Wick airport, US Navy transport aircraft has just landed, weather is judged too rough to unload outside so they measure up the aircraft and by an inch or so it will clear the doors into the hangar. Over night they unload the aircraft and in the morning go to take the aircraft out ...

Yep, too tall to get through the door.

They strapped the main legs of the undercarriage to compress them slightly and lifted the nose wheel with a forklift to get it back out the hangar.

• Haha
Reactions: vas

Seastoke

Visit site
Was wondering in order to gain some garage clearance, when putting boat in garage, is it possible to change trailer rim with a smaller diameter rim or should i change the tyre with a lower profile one. Currently garage clearance is only few mms and wish to gain at least a few cms buy modifying trailer wheels in order for better and safer clearance when maneuvering. Any Ideas? Appreciate your kind help and ideas.
Buy a bigger boat , then it wont fit in at all.

vas

Visit site
what size rims and tyres do you now have on?
there are some easy tools to check circumference of tyre when wanting to go bigger rim and lower profile, you can us that and then divide by pi to get the dia aka height.
The thing is if its easy to get smaller rims with the right hub pattern and/or low profile tyres nowadays, not to mention weight they have to stand...

sarabande

Visit site
Adjusting wheel diameter or tyre size is going to make relatively little difference, perhaps a 10 or 20 mm. Any change may influence load bearing and handling characteristics on the road.

If the boat stays on the trailer in the garage all winter, perhaps a set of tiny wheels might be useful, but there will be issues with wheel nut pitch. Perhaps a skid made up with industrial casters ? Jack up trailer outside, remove wheels , lower trailer onto caster device. Reverse process inpspring. This will also keep the tyres unloaded for several =months, which is beneficial to their service life.

Bandit

Visit site
If its a single axle trailer you may get away with deflating tyres.

If its a twin axle get the trailer half into the garage with a straight run back then deflate the tyres otherwise you will damage the inner tubes or if tubless pull tyre away from the rim and settle it on the rim probably damaging the tyre.

If you turn a twin axle trailer in a tight turn it really distorts the tyres.

Gemini

Visit site
We had a similar issue with our 6m Rib obtained the yellow plastic gas pipe 150mm ish and used as rollers.
Jacked up the trailer removed the wheels lowered onto the pipe and run it into the garage , used jockey wheel to guide it.
Left it on the pipe work over winter, prevent flat stops on the tyres .
Think we had 6 rollers.

Karnic

Visit site
If its a single axle trailer you may get away with deflating tyres.

If its a twin axle get the trailer half into the garage with a straight run back then deflate the tyres otherwise you will damage the inner tubes or if tubless pull tyre away from the rim and settle it on the rim probably damaging the tyre.

If you turn a twin axle trailer in a tight turn it really distorts the tyres.
Yes single axle trailer. How low ( PSI )can i deflate tyre in order to gain the clearance needed. As stated only need 5 cms maximum to clear garage door then woluld be ok. By deflating i think i can do it. Will inflate as soon as clearing garage.

RobWales

www.3ksengineering.com
Yes single axle trailer. How low ( PSI )can i deflate tyre in order to gain the clearance needed. As stated only need 5 cms maximum to clear garage door then woluld be ok. By deflating i think i can do it. Will inflate as soon as clearing garage.
Trial and error is best ploy, just don't deflate to the extent that the rims will damage the tyres....

vas

Visit site
unless they are massive balloon tyres, I doubt you'll get 50mm by deflating them a bit... can you post the tyre dims, like 165/70X13 or whatever

Karnic

Visit site
OK, check here:
Tyre overall rolling diameter

if you go to 185/65-14, you'll be on a loaded radius of 270mm from the 300mm you are now. So same width of tyre, lower profile, gain 3cm, same rim width as well.
That's an easy way to gain (or rather loose) 3cm, deflate them a bit you get a couple more I guess..
V
Yes thats my idea. By gaining few cms will clear garage. So in picture where can i find the profile i have cause i dont understand those numbers? And what difference should i expect or no big deal cause honestly that was my point and would be good to keep the same rim width but gain those 3 cm from the tyre radius.

Karnic

Visit site
OK, check here:
Tyre overall rolling diameter

if you go to 185/65-14, you'll be on a loaded radius of 270mm from the 300mm you are now. So same width of tyre, lower profile, gain 3cm, same rim width as well.
That's an easy way to gain (or rather loose) 3cm, deflate them a bit you get a couple more I guess..
V
Thanks for the table. Will print it cos interesting. I think i understood the table but correct me if im wrong it seems i am in the lowest radius where classification states truck etc If i opt for the 185/65 - 14 which will gain me those few cms i need classification states it is for passenger. Thus it mean it is for cars only or?

vas

Visit site
start from the basics:

car tyres are measured in mm of width of the thing.
So 185 means the tyre is 185mm wide, not necessarily at the thread.
normal (old school) tyres have a height from thread to rim which is 80% of the width.
Newer tyres have "lower" ratio so a 65 means height will be 65% of the width.
final number is dia of rim in inches (don't ask why all the others are in mm and this in inches, dunno.

So a 185/80-15 is typically mentioned as 185-15
the ones I'm suggesting are lower profile, so 185/65-15, note both recommend 5.5in rim in width.

re your last Q, yes I guess the one you have is heavy duty truck/whatever tyre whereas the others are car tyres.
You have to check with a tyre co if the sizes that you want will withstand the weight of the boat.
If not the exercise is pointless (unless you only drive 1km to the slip and you don't care)

V.