Trader 47 or a Princess 435

Denise123

Visit site
Hi looking to live aboad.
I like the looks of a Trader 47 and a Princess 435. The Trader seems to hold its value far more than the princess, is that just the boats I am looking at the moment are more expensive. Also anyone who is living on board these can you give me pros and cons.

Thanks

V1701

Visit site
Could do with more info before you receive properly useful advice:
Do you have any experience of owning/operating boats?
Where? If Mediterranean and you're on a UK passport you're stymied by the Schengen visa rules. If UK you'll struggle to find somewhere that is liveaboard tolerant.
The 47 would put you over 14 metres so fewer berths available. Pros and cons of living on any large motor boat are very similar, you'd need to run at least one dehumidifier through the winter and heating costs would be very significant. A boat that size, with mooring fees, maintenance, etc., could be as expensive as renting a flat & where boats go down in value, flats and houses tend to go the opposite way.
But if you're not thinking of doing this for a less expensive accommodation option and do have a genuine interest in boats/boating, are practical and prepared to learn how to maintain, troubleshoot and fix things yourself then living on a boat might suit you, again if you can find somewhere to moor...

Denise123

Visit site
Seriously I ask a simple question. You do not need to know all about me. But yes we have vast experience in yachting and smaller cruisers. Yes we have a live on mooring that I can go to 18 meters if I choose. Yes we are hands on and yes we want the experience and are well aware of the pitfalls
So please can anyone just answer the simple questions please I am looking for people who have personal experience with these boats.

Tranona

Visit site
These are not common liveaboards so doubt you will get much feedback for these in relation to that type of use. You may get feedback on them as boats from the Motorboat forum, but TBH they are what they are, and maybe not even comparable as very different designs aimed at different markets so again unlikely to find anybody who has direct experience of both.

So, maybe a simple question but not one that can be answered in a simple way, so if you have the experience you say surely you can make up your own minds which is better for you in your circumstances?

PlanB

Visit site
Forgive me for saying so, but your response is slightly spiky for someone looking for help from others.

However, I lived on a 435, dinette version, in the Med for 12 years. There were two of us and the aft cabin was very comfortable. Galley was a reasonable size and we could host up to 10 for drinks inside, more outside. Six for dinner.

Don't know what your actual boating plans are, but maintenance costs on two TAMD 71Bs were not insignificant.

Can't comment on the Trader, except that the one I looked at had the galley downstairs en route to the master cabin, which I didn't like. I also preferred the style of the Princess.

Feel free to ask specific questions.

ashtead

Visit site
It would seem that personal experience is based on usage. If you are looking for an account of a Trader at sea there was an account a few years ago of a trip to the depths of east anglia -it looked rather rolly in that vid but clearly if you intend to stay moored to your18m berth the wallowing motion shown by the forumites account might not have any relevance as you are just seeking a floating houseboat. If you intend to travel and hop from marina to marina I would have thought a princess ample in terms of space etc and performance but clearly people take boats of this age and refit etc so features originally fitted might have been changed etc. As a starter you might search on the forum for the boat marques / names mentioned and send a message to posters who have confessed as suggested by PlanB. A lot I suspect with mobo comes down to condition of engines and generator so you might be able to elicit advice on type of engine to look for. Also I’m sure the princess has an owners forum which no doubt will flag up issues which after all these years have no doubt arisen . Good luck with your search but as said greater detail as to plans tends to elicit more helpful responses.

Offshore57

Visit site
We have lived on a Princess 415 for a few years now, and both work from home. So I would vote for the 435, but only because I prefer Princess overall and I like the lines better. Its very much a personal choice option really. Trader is no doubt beamy, ours is 14 feet and its the beam which gives you the living space. We take her out once or twice a year for a week at a time so we can WFH with a different view from time to time, but we also have a 7.4m rib that we use to go places mostly....we are lucky to have the option.

Seastoke

Visit site
Seriously I ask a simple question. You do not need to know all about me. But yes we have vast experience in yachting and smaller cruisers. Yes we have a live on mooring that I can go to 18 meters if I choose. Yes we are hands on and yes we want the experience and are well aware of the pitfalls
So please can anyone just answer the simple questions please I am looking for people who have personal experience with these boats.
If you get angry that quick, when peeps are trying to help you. Maybe you should buy a small island.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
How rude. Best of luck. I’m out.

ashtead

Visit site
In case of interest there is Trader for sale at Haslar marina Gosport currently via Boatfolk. Get down to sunny Gosport and have a look -might give an idea but a lot of boat for cash. Lovely boat rarely used I believe and well compared for but 42ft so more of a comparable than a 47 version.