Trader 42 Anyone

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
At the risk of being really boring - have you thought about a SeaRanger 448/50? A little larger, but excellent value these days. mv Cambe is for sale in Greece at present at the lower end of the price scale (c.£100k) and Bumble II (the last built, and a true gem) is at the opposite end of the scale at £350k.

They are truly excellent sea boats (even without stabs), with great accomodation too. If you are anywhere near the Hamble, you are welcome to come and look at my boat when restrictions lift.
Just had a look online at the Bumble II listing .... I do like that.

RD60

Visit site
Right. Here is some actual experience from a former Trader 42 owner (current Trader 54 owner). We ran the 42 from 2010 to 2015 and she gave us splendid service with very few problems and certainly nothing major. We cruised her to South Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, South Brittany and West Scotland amongst others.

We don`t intentionally venture out in really rough weather but, with that amount of cruising, you sometimes get caught in conditions you would normally avoid. At no time did we lack confidence in the 42s ability to cope with rough weather. At displacement speeds she, unsurprisingly, rolled. This could be counteracted by increasing speed and obtaining dynamic stability at the expense of fairly dramatic increase in fuel consumption. The 42 was also pretty wet in a short head sea but the helm condition is very well protected in the aft deck versions.

We changed to the 54 to get some extra space. This boat has been cruised around the Bay of Biscay, down to Porto and back. She is fitted with stabilisers and is cruised almost exclusively at displacement speed. She is rock solid in rough weather and coped admirably with Biscay swells.

If the OP would like to discuss more Trader 42 experiences PM me for a chat.
Many thanks, good to hear some positive feedback

BruceK

Visit site
Normally I'd say that was a bit blunt but it's inarguably true

giphy.gif

Solent Sailor

Visit site
The steps down to the master cabin are shit.
EDIT: Sorry - didn't see comment above but I've written it now, so what the hell....

Do you mean the steps to the left of the master bed? That is just an "escape hatch" - the main steps down are at the foot of the bed from the saloon, and perfectly adequate. Our "hatch" steps have more angle to them so are easier to climb (not that we ever do - we just use it for additional ventilation on warm days) but they do take up a tiny bit more space in the cabin - which is why they redesigned them like that. The other steps are three normally sized "staircase" steps built from solid timber.