Tracking for friends and family

blxm

Visit site
We will be living and cruising around the med from April. We would like to be able to display to friends and family where we are. Don’t need real time but perhaps daily or a manual trigger. Would be lovely to be able to display a route as we go but a ‘we are here’ view would be fine.
Any suggestions welcome.

nortada

Visit site
We will be living and cruising around the med from April. We would like to be able to display to friends and family where we are. Don’t need real time but perhaps daily or a manual trigger. Would be lovely to be able to display a route as we go but a ‘we are here’ view would be fine.
Any suggestions welcome.

Cruising blog?

moomba

N/A
Visit site
If you have onboard email (satellite or SSB-based), you can use the shiptrak.org or Yotreps systems to let your family and friends see your daily positions,
Or there is The SPOT Messenger GPS tracking device is an option you might want to look at. look up SPOT GPS

scruff

Visit site
an alternative would be to use a garmin sports watch (an older 310xt works/records when charging). you can then upload to strava or similar your route as an when...

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Have a look at this
https://www.youposition.it/

you can send your position by email like other systems, or also by simple SMS, which might be interesting being in the Med usually with phone network coverage.
Friends can look up your position there, or you can create a map in your own web site. Oh, of course on Facebook and all those things :)

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
There's also the SPOT trackers.

The SPOT Gen3 is cheap to buy but needs a €150 (IIRC?) annual subscription to display your position and pass on short messages at regular intervals.

blxm

Visit site
Have a look at this

you can send your position by email like other systems, or also by simple SMS, which might be interesting being in the Med usually with phone network coverage.
Friends can look up your position there, or you can create a map in your own web site. Oh, of course on Facebook and all those things :)

Thats just the thing! Thanks

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Have a look at this

I think that Marine Traffic did the same thing. I did a trial many years ago and only problem was that Marine Traffic removed static vessels after a few hours. I imagine that was due to capacity problems on their servers. I made suggestions and said 25 hours would be OK for my own use. I could send a message once a day and always appear on their site.

Just checked an it still seems to be in use. I might update my boat's position and see when it is deleted.

Link to MarineTraffic email reporting

The main problem was remembering to format a message and the send it every day. A simple app would have solved the problem by scheduling it to insert position into a correctly formatted message and send it at a pre-selected time. That would make it a cheap, no hassle way of appearing alongside other vessels in MarineTraffic.

Last edited:

pcatterall

Visit site
If you have onboard email (satellite or SSB-based), you can use the shiptrak.org or Yotreps systems to let your family and friends see your daily positions,
Or there is The SPOT Messenger GPS tracking device is an option you might want to look at. look up SPOT GPS

We use SPOT so home base can track us as we sail. It also has a decent emergency 'button'.