TOTAL novice

thomas1

Visit site
Well Where to start ? the journey down from Bristol Total nightmare, got to torquay with five mins to spare two phone calls and arrived at alex`s home, I suppose along with Alex I was apprehensive, but I need not of worried his greeting and hospiltalty put me right at ease, I also had the good fortune to meet with his family and his friend and fellow sailor Marcus, I was taken to the marina and shown his pride and joy I can remember my first mistake eager to board i followed alex and marcus, strange thought they were facing the stern dafty me the bow I dont think they noticed, saftey briefing then shown around told were to sit, I was allowed to help out and then we were away out of the harbour, Alex handing over to Marcus to put us into the wind, now you all no what I am going to say next but, I will remind you all of the first time the wind blows into the sails and the boat heals over My god is it going to stop, my first question to Alex will it tip over?? I watched Marcus steering and looked around in awal of what was going on it was not long before Alex asked me if I would like to steer It was windy and i thought I was hearing things A few seconds later he asked me again, I was now on cloud nine and remained there for the rest of the afternoon, it all passed to quickly and before I knew it we were sat having a cuppa at Alex`s home before I set off back home.
The I think I was ready for the words that brought dissapointment to me, In Alex`s words you are no were ready yet Tom it would be very hard for him to think of himself and me on the boat in the middle of the sea (if somthing when wrong what would I be able to do) I am to old to panic but I would not even no where to start his words were very sincere, and I shall take him up on his offer to sail with him again if he will let me so its off to do my first course down in Devon with Devon sailing?? thanks for all of your input on my many questions Tom

dralex

Visit site
I'm really pleased you enjoyed it Tom, and as I said, you're welcome to come and get more experience before your course. You had a lovely day to really get an insight into what sailing is about. The COmp Crew course will really set you up with the skills needed to get on a boat and be an active crew member- from what I saw, you'll have no problems at all.

Regards

Alex

gregmlucas

www.datacentricity.net
Sounds like you had a cracking sail.

The guys are right - once you've got your comp crew out of the way you'll have have a much better idea of what's going on and be able to contribute to the sailing too.

Like you I'm new to sailing - having started with a two day sailing experience with SunSail last year. That was a taster but doing my comp crew in April this year really helped. Now I fully understand how little I know /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif but that's no bad thing, at least I know my limitations.

Crewed since on several boats this summer and the skipper I sail with regularly now is a really good teacher so I learn more everytime I go out.

Good luck with your courses.

Cheers,

. . Greg

DjArgyleFan

www.websiteoftheday.co.uk
Although I'm not a YM or anything I have been sailing since @1997 and have a boat in Plymouth. I'd be more than happy to have you aboard and pass on any limited knowledge I may have. On the subject of sailing schools give Performance Yachting in Plymouth a try. I did the Fastnet with them, had a great time & learned loads too, great skipper who knew what he was talking about (he skippered the winning clipper boat in 2000 or 2001!)