Too small to cross The Channel? Ambition v Confidence

Pkewish

Visit site
My club is organizing a cruise to The Channel Islands and beyond to the French coast for a few weeks next year. I have a little 21 foot Jeaneau. In ideal conditions she could sail round the world BUT we all know that ideal conditions are rear and impossible to predict. So, even while in company from Poole/Solent to Alderney, should I plan to take her or grab a bunk on one of the 40+ foots and save my pride?

I have the experience and skills to do it, but maybe lack the confidence in such a small boat, despite the stories of people doing much longer trips in dinghies etc. Other boats in the fleet have speeds that I can easily match so I won't be alone and will take an experienced crew of 1 with me. However, even with the best planning and weather forecasting, what if it get's rough? What if I do make it in the roughest conditions but loose the big balls to return?

Uricanejack

Visit site
I think only you can answer how you feel.

21ft is quite capable of sailing safely across the channel to Alderney. In any conditions you are likely to meet. Obviously avoid a gale, most of us would in our 30 or 40 ft boats. Its a question of your own comfort level. If not comfortable take the bunk on the 40 ft boat.
If comfortable I'm sure you will enjoy the trip. Be prepared to wait if you feel its a bit much for you at the time. F4 F5 may be fine on the big boats but if your not comfortable wait and go or come back at your own pace.

It probably wont get to rough. If it does get rough Don't go. or turn back. Its your boat and your decision.
If you get there and thought it was a bit much, go enjoy the sights of Alderney until the wind dies down and is more favourable and sail back on your terms.

Last edited:

wiggy

Visit site
I did the channel many times in my MG Spring25. She was very lively, like a big dinghy to sail, and I did it in everything from flat calm to a return trip with a F5 dead on the nose. One thing I've learnt us that nearly every crossing involved large amounts of engine. Assuming your boat is outboard powered, the Spring had a 1GN10 inboard, would you be happy to motor across if the wind dropped.
My heart says go for it, it'll be a great adventure with truckloads of back slapping once completed and an amazing sense of pride. If it's blowing old boots on the way home it should be downwind so stick up the genoa alone or get on the ferry and go back for the boat at a later date.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I did the channel many times in my MG Spring25. She was very lively, like a big dinghy to sail, and I did it in everything from flat calm to a return trip with a F5 dead on the nose. One thing I've learnt us that nearly every crossing involved large amounts of engine. Assuming your boat is outboard powered, the Spring had a 1GN10 inboard, would you be happy to motor across if the wind dropped.
My heart says go for it, it'll be a great adventure with truckloads of back slapping once completed and an amazing sense of pride. If it's blowing old boots on the way home it should be downwind so stick up the genoa alone or get on the ferry and go back for the boat at a later date.

Whilst I've motored across in a flat calm on occasions, there have been plenty of times when I haven't used the engine at all. One boat (over 50') would sail faster than she would motor in nearly all conditions (including making to windward).

So to the OP; go for it and enjoy it. Just make sure it's on the calmer side of moderate. You shouldn't get caught out by unexpected weather as forecasts for 24 hrs ahead are usually fairly accurate.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Perhaps it is a question of building confidence. A few long day sails out building up mileage along the coast until you can do a passage length equivalent of a Channel Crossing. Then sailing in company, sailing with distant company, i.e. setting out a few hours before another boat aiming to meet up mid channel and greet you on the other side, then going for it.

Is it the loss of the sight of land that is the issue and not the passage?

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I think the sailing in company thing is an illusion of security. When we've sailed across in company we often don't see the other boat until we get there! If you're in real trouble then the CG and various rescue services are your fall back option surely? I suppose you can chat to others on the VHF....

D

Deleted member 36384

I would do it. By day 3 or 4 it will be a doddle and you will be glad you started the voyage. It will take much longer than the 40' though.

KAL

Visit site
I agree with Sandy. The joy of a crossing is that you are literally sailing to a new horizon. OK, you haven't got the comfort of land to hold your hand, but it's actually much safer offshore, in many ways, as there are no pesky rocks to hit. The shipping lanes are your most obvious hazard, but the vessels are usually well spaced and all coming from the same direction. Keeping tabs on them helps to pass the time. You might also need to alter course to give the odd trawler a wide berth, but so what?

There are loads of 21' boats in regular single-handed use in France, especially the First 21s. They're brilliant boats. As long as you're confident in the sea-keeping ability of your fine vessel, and you say you have the experience, then go for it with a big heart and eager eyes to that great new horizon I mentioned.

Oh, and relish the well-deserved dram when you arrive safely, with a huge sense of achievement. You'll never taste another like it, (until the next time!).

Neil

Visit site
I did two overnights to Peel and back (75nM) in my 25fter. Setting off, the forecast worsened to f5-f7 and myself and a complete novice crew mate dithered over not going. In the end we did go, the boat managed the 3-4 mtr swells marvellously, and while it was a challenge, the fact that we did it gave a huge sense of achievement. I'd say go for it - the reality is probably more benign than your imagination.

Fantasie 19

Visit site
I think only you can answer how you feel.

21ft is quite capable of sailing safely across the channel to Alderney. In any conditions you are likely to meet. Obviously avoid a gale, most of us would in our 30 or 40 ft boats. Its a question of your own comfort level. If not comfortable take the bunk on the 40 ft boat.
If comfortable I'm sure you will enjoy the trip. Be prepared to wait if you feel its a bit much for you at the time. F4 F5 may be fine on the big boats but if your not comfortable wait and go or come back at your own pace.

It probably wont get to rough. If it does get rough Don't go. or turn back. Its your boat and your decision.
If you get there and thought it was a bit much, go enjoy the sights of Alderney until the wind dies down and is more favourable and sail back on your terms.

Well put...

Mate of mine did the channel in his Hurley 20, I know of someone who did it in a Fantasie 19... it's not the boats that give up, but the crew as doing the channel in boats our size takes a long time... it's tiring and can be boring.. I have no doubt my boat could do it, but I have little interest in doing it for those reasons - easier to go on a bigger boat, or catch the ferry... :D

lw395

Visit site
As everyone has said, it's entirely do-able given fair wind strength.
But equally, sailing on other people's boats for a change can be fun and informative, don't feel pressured into taking your own boat.
As the nights get longer, some of us like the watches to get shorter, so teaming up can work well all round.
In summer, a smaller boat will be able to get in and out of some French ports earlier and later than a big one.
The whole 'cruising in company' thing can become counterproductive. I prefer to have my own itinery and meet up once or twice rather than be a convoy for a fortnight.

Last edited:

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I think the sailing in company thing is an illusion of security. When we've sailed across in company we often don't see the other boat until we get there! If you're in real trouble then the CG and various rescue services are your fall back option surely? I suppose you can chat to others on the VHF....
I totally agree John, on the trips we have done from the club we meet in the bar, leave the Exe round about the same time the next morning so you might see a sail about that time then we meet up on a boat for a beer at the end of the day in some far off exotic place like Cornwall, but at least you know there are others who are nearby and know what you are doing.

Appledore

Visit site
My boat is 22 feet, and I've been over the Channel a few times in recent years, with no real difficulties. If I've had a problem of any sort en route I make sure it is fixed as soon as is possible to avoid it happening again. It's very likely that one way or the other you will need your engine, if you have one.

Son and I are hoping to get away next week for 5 or 6 days. The plan is 'there isn't one', except we could go towards the Channel Islands (100 miles), or towards Scilly (105 miles), or probably just coast-hopping. Everything will depend on the weather, which as we all know, is just so unpredictable!

It's always nice if you head off with someone else, but as others have said, you soon lose sight on long crossings, but you can still keep in touch by radio if you feel you have to.

Last year we were heading towards Guernsey, in quite a rolly sea after strong winds. My son was quite sea sick not far off Salcombe just before dark, and so I decided to return to Plymouth. Once in the Sound the water was like a mirror, and we motored up the river to our mooring in the moonlight at 1 am. Had we reached Guernsey, that week was really fine weather. Next time we wanted to get way we were prevented by strong Easterly winds, so never got anywhere all year!

So just go for it, if the weather is with you.

ps: Make sure your insurance is valid for going off the UK coast. One insurance company would not insure me because my boat was less than 24 feet, although it is registered in Guernsey!!

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site
I seem to remember reading about someone sailing across from the Channel Islands to the UK in a laser a few years ago, of course it does depend on conditions at the time but think your boat, subject to a weather forecast, is more than capable

dunedin

Visit site
Your boat would be fine for a cruise across the channel - in the right weather window.
My worry would be that attempting to do a fixed itinerary cruise in company means no choice over weather window and timing. This could push you into going in conditions that are a bit too much, or equally importantly, wind angle slightly wrong, making very uncomfortable.

We (and most other cruisers) waited nearly a week in Guernsey last year, in June, to find a window where a crossing back would be comfortable - and we and the others were mostly 35 feet plus.

Appledore's advice is great for a small boat - "the plan is, there isn't one". Can do substantial voyages, but best set destination at the last minute based upon the actual weather. Perhaps aim to do a Channel Islands cruise sometime between now and the intended date, as a test run, but choosing your ideal weather window

WestwardBound

Visit site
I think Poole/Studland to Alderney is a great route. Our first time across we started from Poole but did abort the crossing because it was too rough for us off Anvil Point and for few miles thereafter. It did not look to be subsiding. It probably was the seas kicking up around the headland but we were much too fed up to take the chance. This was in F4/F5 with a forecast of a Moderate seat state so the advice on the shallow end of moderate is good. We were in a 38 foot boat. We crossed a couple of days later and had a lovely crossing. I like the comments about not trying to meet an itinerary unless the weather happens to be spot on. If you would like to plan a crossing I would recommend stacking everything in your favour the first time (or every time!). Why not cross the first time in Slight or Smooth Sea State, neap tides will also help. Smooth probably does mean motoring or motor sailing to make the crossing in a reasonable time. I wait for Slight personally if there is any upwind involved and I use Passage Weather to look at the forecast for sea state a few days ahead. I think there is a big difference between a few hours of discomfort and 10 or 12 hours, including exposure. You'll know that there a lot to consider including of course arriving at Alderney at the right state of tide (or you're going somewhere else). With regard to cruising in company I don't on that basis. I'd say do it on your own schedule when you're happy to do it independently. It might happen that friends are going at the same time but all the boats and crews can make different decisions. I think most people that cruise in company are either very closely aligned or just plan to meet up eventually.

Pkewish

Visit site
Thanks for all the votes of confidence. Yes, I'm sure the boat is more than capable, I've sailed her many time close to land in less than favorable conditions, the 2016 RTIR was interesting too. However, I think it is probably the thought of loosing sight of land that worries me the most though. as for sailing in company, I hadn't really though that through. Assuming the weather is OK, I would probably set off before the others and, should something go very wrong, at least I know they are behind me somewhere. As for motoring, yes, it's a little 2 stroke 6HP outboard which seem be happy at full chat for hours on end, despite the racket! I know I can get about 10 hours out of the tank in rough weather and with no sails, so as long as I take a 20l jerry can of extra fuel, in theory, should be able to motor there twice. I'd rather not do any night sailing if I can avoid it, the nav lights are very low to the water, I don't have radar or an AIS receiver but I do have a chart plotter and autoehelm, so I'm fairly well kitted out for daylight long stints. It's just not the same as doing a trans Atlantic on someone elses 55 footer!

Channel Sailor

Visit site
From what you have said in you post I would say take the 40 ftr bunk and enjoy. I have cruised that area from the UK a fair few times on a variety of yacht sizes. The most enjoyable was on either of a fully crewed crusier/racer 40fter or a decent 33ft fast family cruising yacht. The least enjoyable was on a 24fter, even though it had an inboard engine. Very small yachts for that kind of trip I think have too many restrictions and crompromisies.