Tonight's dinner

byron

RIP
Visit site
Tonight\'s dinner

First I took three thick slices of bread as a base, thickly spreading Margarine over these I then covered them with Marmite, adding a further thick covering of Strawberry Jam.
Leaving my masterpiece on the kitchen table I went to the Pantry to select an appropriate wine.
On my return I poured the wine and sipping it delicately I repaired to the kitchen table.

My bleedin' dog had eaten the lot, now I am starving

I shall however get my own back because I shall open a tin of Chappie and when I have consumed sufficient wine eat the lot in front of my dog, that'll teach her. :)

http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

pheran

Visit site
Re: Tonight\'s dinner

OK - I can take a hint, you can come across to ours for dinner. BUT me mums here just come out of hospital, so we're all eating bread and (skimmed) milk just to keep her company. Wot size bowl d'yer want?

ps you never knew I had a mother did yer ( and father jokes are off limit)

byron

RIP
Visit site

If your Mum can demolish Scotch at even half the rate you can Chris then she is a formidable lady indeed ;)

BarryH

Visit site

Ah see, now my wife, abandoned me tonite. So I found the biggest, juciest bit of cow I could find. Stuck the skillet thing on the arga cooker thingy, whapped in some of the finest crushed garlic and cracked pepper. Got it as hot as poss and flashed the hunk of juicy cow inthe pan. Left that until the flesh turned that shade of "tanned nubile female" brown with the slightly caramel colour bars across it. Got to that stage on bothe sides and removed from the heat to rest. Whapped a good glass and a bit of fine burgandy in tha pan to deglase, added handful of button mushrooms and half chopped onion. Reduced the lot down to a thick sauce and added good knob of butter to give sheen and half tub of cream to give body. Brought to the gentle simmer for 5 mins. Drizzle that lot over the hunk of cow.

Whapped par baked bagette into oven to coock up crispy and hot. Also blanched out aspagus tips tossed in butter togetjher with new spuds. All went down a treat with a bottle or two of Hob Goblin

Result Stuffed and satisfied with a silly smile from the Hob Gob and a nice brtandy just to top it all off.

pheran

Visit site

Formidable and how! She had a triple by-pass 3 weeks ago at the age of 83. Giving the Scotch a rest for the time being but still expects half a bottle of Claret with her dinner (AND NONE OF THAT CHEAP SAINBURY'S STUFF!)

ps She sent me to bed at 2030 but I have managed to sneak out and send you this message

duncan

Visit site

and there's me stuffing cheeze adn ham into a slit chicken brest, garlic and a touch of light olive oil in the skillet - brown then finish in a very hot oven - chips from unskinned tats and home made tomato ketchup from the river cottage book made last month when we finally admitted defeat on the greenhouse supply - memo to self 1 growbag will do next year not 4!

ccscott49

Visit site

Can I come eat at your place, got to be better than norwegian rig food! I'll even eat with the dog, got to be more civilised, mind you the dog might not want to eat with me!!

byron

RIP
Visit site

I once took a Norwegian Ship from Port Talbot to Belle island (Newfoundland) and back. We ate fish, fish and then some more fish. By the time I got back I looked like a fish, quacked like a fish, walked like a fish and got horny every time I saw a female Cod.
Having said all that, I have never been aboard a cleaner vessel where every crew member knew what to do and anticipated every order before it was given. I think they were all related to Radar from the series 'Mash'

ccscott49

Visit site

They are a little like that, very well organised, but they cannot understand sometimes things have to be done differently, if it's not the usual way, they have to have six meetings and re-training programs, a drilling proposal is just that, if it's not in the proposal, then it just doesn't get done, right or wrongly, takes an act of god to change anything, very frustrating. You cannot be an individual, it's just anti social!

Falcon71

Visit site

Have you ever tried cat food? I did by accident once, stirring mince with one hand and feeding kit-e-kat with other, and put wrong spoon in mouth, disgusting metallic taste, I don't know how they eat it. Mind you my coat was very glossy for a while after.

byron

RIP
Visit site

I prefer Whiskers myself, they do a nice variety and people who eat sarnies on my boat often comment on how tasty my Pate's are.
In fact when Syd was aboard he absolutely purred with pleasure after eating a plateful.

KevL

Visit site

I wish you'd stop gloating byron!

Dog food sounds so appetising when compared <<<Deleted in case SWMBO ever reads this>>>.

Think I'll sneakly get a chippy and then tell SWMBO I've got a bad tummy.

KevL

--
It may be the early bird that catches the worm but its the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Divemaster1

Visit site
Norwegians

I once did write some guidelines for my colleagues as we were setting up an office in Norway, and thought you'd might like to have an extract... (being one, I should know them...)

Because of the harsh landscape and inaccessibility of a number of the more remote parts of the country, the Norwegian often finds himself surrounded by only his closest family. When a Norwegian is forced into meeting people from a different culture, he often hides un-certainty behind a bravado that often can be interpreted as arrogance. As he belongs to a pragmatic culture, the time he spends with other people must be purposeful, so he can;

a) learn from it, or
b) obtain a good Fisheries Agreement.

There are very distinctive differences in the people from the various areas of our country, which of course generates some healthy competition / friction between the areas. (Sørlandet, Vestlandet, Nordlandet and Østlandet).

The Norwegian has never quite grasped the idea that the time should be taken over a good meal or that it is morally justifiable to sit on a sidewalk café’ for no other purpose than to talk. A good meal in a true Norwegian’s eye is a plate of Lutefisk (a rather sticky, glue-like fish dish) Komle (fatty dumplings), or meatballs and it is also worth noting that no meal is complete without potatoes. Norwegians are keen hunters and fishermen and any meal must be highly praised if the host has caught it, whether it is deer, moose or whale.

From a statistical point of view, the Norwegian’s consumption of alcohol is very low compared with that of others; In one year an Englishman drinks 5.7l of wine, 118 l of beer and 4,1l of spirits, whilst the Norwegian only drinks 3.2l, 4,5l, and 1.2l respectively. However this may not always appear to be the cause, but the reason is quite simple; Whilst the English drink a little every day throughout the year, the Norwegian will try to drink up his statistical quota all at once. This stems from those days where the Norwegian used to make his own drink on the farm, and had limited access to bottles and other storage containers, and as such to avoid wasting the product, he simply consumed the whole produced batch.

Norway has almost as many organizations as there are inhabitants in the country. When a Norwegian moves from one place to another, he establishes an organization for outsiders from the place. This is also true when he takes up residence in another country, whether it is for a shorter, or a longer period.
If you have always wanted to be part of a group, then this is the place to do it……

The Norwegian loves his hytte (cabin), and will disappear there whenever he has an opportunity. A typical hytte may be very sparsely furnished and sometimes without the luxury of running water and / or electricity. There is however a growing trend to incorporate these luxuries into the hytte (pressure from the more sophisticated members of the family) making it more like a second home for prolonged stays and to ensure that the whole family equal opportunities to enjoy the facility. Of course it is also obvious that a large portion of the population prefer to have their hytte on the sea (boat).

Norwegians are generally outspoken and as a rule tell the plain unvarnished truth, so if a Norwegian criticizes any thing about Norway, it is easy to believe that it is because he finds something lacking. However in matters like this (critic of his nation), you must never agree with him – he does not mean it!!!

It should also be noted that you are dealing with a region that is thoroughly European on one end, but on the other end, we do not conceptualise our self as being part of Europe. We tend to think of Europe as somewhere else.
Norwegians are very proud of their country and history. People have very close ties with nature. The attitude towards the nature is one of harmony and coexistence within a naturally determined frame, rather than domination over nature.

The attitude towards business is generally more relaxed than in the UK and US. Business is equally as important as leisure time. Norwegians tend to be blunt and honest about their business ideas and feelings. There is very little to be expected in the area of diplomacy during negotiations. Their first offer is traditionally the honest appraisal of the situation. There is little room for changing your plan even if the conditions change a little bit. They tend to hold to what has been proposed. Hierarchies in the society are rather flat. There are certainly hierarchies within Norwegian companies, but it is not displayed openly. It is rather easy to access higher levels within companies. The corporate cultures are impregnated with principles of equality. Hierarchies do exist but they are almost invisible from the outside. Nobody acquires power through position, but only through performance.

Norwegians value practical things and not the ones, which display status. It is not uncommon for Norwegians to be sceptical of new ideas. It is tied to the notion of solidity. Something has to be sold and practical before it is accepted as a new concept. Although formality is not as high on the scale as it would be in Germany, there still is a need to be rather formal.
Norwegians are very trusting people. If you make a business proposal, you are likely to be trusted that these are the terms you will adhere to. Consequently, moving up schedules and time lines is not as acceptable as it may be in the elsewhere.
Because Norwegians tend to be direct and honest you can normally take their reaction during negotiations at face value. Likewise they will expect very honest conduct from the other party. Overstressing business strategy and tactical pursuit of negotiations is not in order. An open display of emotions is frowned upon. Norwegians are trying to balance the moral virtues and joy of life. Do not put pressure on the meeting or the agenda. You need to display first that you are trustworthy. You do this by giving an honest appraisal of the situation and by not displaying your status. Americans tend to use icebreakers and get down to the personal and informal level. That is not necessary in Norway. Icebreakers imply first, that there is ice, and secondly that the ice needs to be broken.
In Norway, “ice” provides the necessary context for formality, which is very important.

AHM

byron

RIP
Visit site
Re: Norwegians

Personally I have never forgiven them for coming here and raping all our men and slaughtering all our women.

Divemaster1

Visit site

Takes one to know one.... all nationalities have their "trade marks", and as rather few Norwegians have spent significant time abroad (appart from vacations), it is easy to take any intrusion to established procedures and practices as "challenges" to the establishment and thus our national pride.

AHM

ccscott49

Visit site

For sure! I like Norwegians actually they do tend to be honest which is a trait I admire in anybody. Damn good fun too sometimes!