Tom Eckhoff - Tome - RIP

davel

Visit site
I can only echo the other posts.
I never met Tom but felt I knew him well through his posts on this Forum.
As some one else ssid earlier - one on the good guys.

misterg

Visit site
This is a real shock, so soon after his diagnosis. I only knew him through his contributions on this forum, but it was clear he was a well liked and knowledgeable man. My condolences to his family and friends.

Andy

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
Having missed the earlier thread, I'm afraid that I did not know he was ill. I never met met him, but instinctively felt felt that he was a real friend, and someone you could trust. Like everyone, I'm terribly sorry this has happened, and am sure that his friends will pass on our sincere condolences to his family.

rickp

Visit site
Only met Tom a few times but he was always laughing and having fun. I appreciated his wealth of knowledge and input to the forums without getting dragged into histrionics that sometimes occur on here. The Mirabella V sting was one of the funniest moments on here!

Desperately sorry news, he will be missed by many...

Rick

Talbot

Visit site
I would like to think that IPC would add a small paragraph in the next magazine to commemorate someone who epitomised the spirit of these forums, always willing to lend his expertise and a major force in the forum get togethers. I too am bemused by the speed of this, but can only suspect that he hid it from us for as long as possible.

My heartfelt condolences to his family.

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Desperately sorry to hear this. I met Tom on a couple of the Cherbourg trips and, like everyone else, was taken by his joi de vivre and his expertise - not many people on here have his level of knowledge in his subject area. Neil (Morgana) has already recounted the story of the EBBs at Saint Vaast in another thread so I won't repeat it; I was there as well and it will remain a cherished memory.

I can only repeat what others have said - a man who gave help without needing to be asked, and who bought hilarity and happy memories into a lot of lives.

Fair winds, mate.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Although I didn't know Tom personally, like most, I appreciated his wit and contribution to this global family. MY sincere condolences to his family

Would it be appropriate to suggest a "collection" arranged here for whatever the appropriate application of such funds would be?

Sixpence

Visit site
I am like others , unfortunate in that I never managed to meet Tom in person . I enjoyed the benefit of his knowledge and his input on these forums , and the general banter .
Rest in peace Tom , and best wishes to the family he leaves behind

jamesjermain

Visit site
This is such sad news. I never met Tom, but he was consistently one of the most helpful and fair-minded members of the forum.

On behalf of Paul Gelder and the staff of YM I would like to send our condolences to Karen.

graham

Visit site
Tom was one of natures genuine good guys, Allways willing to help someone if he could.Allways full of fun.

I hope Karen will take some comfort from so many good wishes.

RIP Tom You will be missed by everyone who had the pleasure of knowing you.

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
Tom (Julie at the weekend) I can't believe what I am reading. When I read your thread last month I honestly thought you were in for a rough few months and then you would be back to pointing out the big holes in my knowledge. This by the way was never a problem as you have such a large personality that you never ever put people down. You always took them with you when learning something new.

I always enjoyed reading your contributions, I did not have the opportunity to meet you in real life, even after you invited me down, it was never an easy task to get to Southampton or London, I regret this now. I considered it not to be a problem as I knew we would get on, one day we would get to share a pint and Fray Bentos while we battle out electronics geekery.. well I would have told you what I thought, and left knowing what you know. That is one of Toms greatest attributes, he shared friendship, fun and knowledge, and we enjoyed him sharing it.

An all round good guy, I have not been here long today, I am shocked, have cried, been angry, might cry again, I just like Tom, I'll miss you mate.

Sybarite

Visit site
We are shocked to hear how Tom died so quickly after his adventure in Cherbourg where we met him for the 3rd or 4th time.

He was one of the real authentic characters on the forum and we will really miss him here. Our thoughts go out to Karen and family members.

Bon vent Tom

John & Alena

dom

Visit site
My goodness. At what shocking speed this has all unfolded. Tom was one of those charachters that combined charm and a rascally wit with a deep practical and academic knowledge of the sea. The size of his heart and warm charchter touched all he knew - including my young daughter who deemed him the funniest person she had ever met!

Deepest sympathies from myself and my family.

B175Chris

Visit site
Shocking news, will be missed obviously!

I for one know family members who have had cancer and been taken far faster than I could ever have expected, this is another terrible case just like that /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

RIP

Edit:

If you look back to his final post on here, I think it is a shame to see that it was on the YBW admin thread where everyone was still bickering /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Sort of puts things in perspective... well for me it does anyway...