To Wells from the South

Crowblack

Visit site
As the annual jolly beckons the plan is to go North to Lowestoft then Wells then into the Wash and back again.

Well thats the plan !

The bit I haven't done before is Lowestoft to Wells and would appreciate the wisdom of the Forum of those that have.

Best time to start, things to avoid, springs/neaps, how far offshore, anything else really. We draw 1.2mtrs and expect we have to hit Wells bout an hour before.

David.

bastonjock

Visit site
From Lowestoft to wells,there is only one anchorage that i know of,this is at Sea Palling,watch your depth at winterton ness,the charts recomend that you stay clear of the 10m contour line between Cromer and Sherringham, as the area closer to land is infested with crab pots

I moor at wells and at 1.2 meters draught you should be fine,if you call up the Harbourmaster,someone will come out to guide you in,acess is HW +- 2hours,you will be okay for berthing on the pontoons.

If you arrive between tides,its best to anchor at Holkam bay,the area surrounding the wells clear water mark is classed as an anchorage but,it can get a bit rough when the tide turns,best to drop the hook in Holkam.

If its blowing a Northerly,it can be tricky enetering the harbour,ask the HM,s advice,ive done it in a 5-6,i had 8ft under the keel at HW-2

let me know when you are intending to be there,if its at the weekend,ill pop along and say hello

Crowblack

Visit site
Thanks for the advice, if the plan works aim to be in Wells 23rd or 24th and then get the bike out and stay for about three days, then move on to Wisbech.

So if you see a Sadler 26 it's likely to be us.