To Insure or not to Insure

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
Thats the question posed in "Readers Letters" in May's YM.

The prospective world voyager is not going to be insured for his trip because Insurers are not keen to offer cover except for third party liability.

It's not clear from the letter but I do hope that Mr. Roff takes them up on the third party cover. After all one of us might meet him as he leaves.

<hr width=100% size=1>

poggy

Visit site
I thought that many byelaws for rivers, ports etc required a minimum 3rd party insurance.

Poggy

<hr width=100% size=1>

upstream

Visit site
This may be the case, but there are many boats that are moored or kept in quiet waterways. I wonder how many owners of such boats will question the need to insure themselves in the belief that thay will not come to any harm on the account that there is no marina contract or even some official wondering around. Its not until something happens eg engine failure when you least expect it that results in a collision or similar.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tillergirl

Visit site
Nobody's ever asked me if I'm insured (I am) and I couldn't prove it anyway, I don't carry the documents with me. Do people get asked for this?

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
What\'s more ...

There's some countries that won't let you stay either. Spain for one. And they check.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Andrew_B

Visit site
I've just had to renew my insurance after the marina I am in in the south of France noted when my policy expired when I took on a berth last year and then chased me for a copy of the new certificate after the expiry date!
Pretty keen eh?

<hr width=100% size=1>

johna

Visit site
The French have got something right then. One of my Beefs with MDL is the disclaimer in the marina regulations

The Company does not undertake or agree to either enforce the provisions of any MARINA REGULATIONS or to require compliance with all or any of the same. Unquote

I have not been asked for evidence of my insurance since 1995

johna

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
My French insurance company sends me a certificate for third party use as a matter of course and details in it the specific matters affecting the marina eg removal or refloating of a boat sunk within the port. My marina asks for this each year as well as a copy of the boat's papers indicating that the annual tax has been paid.

As far as oceanic crossings are concerned I understand most companies refuse to cover the boat unless there are at least three experienced sailers on board. It's still expensive.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aja

Visit site
I have been asked for proof of insurance when transiting the Crinan canal a few years ago.

Donald

<hr width=100% size=1>

Calluna

Visit site
We were hit at Port Solent by an uninsured boat that was kept there, so Premier don't seem to check either.

Heather

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
On the continent, YES, everytime you go into a Spanish marina as they have so very little else to do. When the customs closed at the borders, lots of redundant personnel were posted to marinas etc. as another way of checking foreigners on the move.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>