Time to sell the boat :(

Cardo

www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk
Good evening, all

After much deliberation with 'er indoors, we have come to the conclusion that it's time to let someone else enjoy the boat. We bought her and fixed her up for our 2.5 year trip however now that we're back we have found we simply don't have the time to dedicate to her and I can no longer justify the money we're spending just to keep her afloat. With life likely to change drastically over the next few years, time and money are likely to become even tighter.

The boat is currently moored in the Solent. She's a somewhat older boat, but very solid and we've spent a considerable amount of money modernising the equipment and setting her up for long term cruising. The Mrs and I spent 2.5 years travelling through France and the Med in relative comfort for the boat's size. We have done more work on her since returning, so she's even more set up for travelling.

The boat would be ideal for a couple similar to us with a relatively "tight" budget who are looking to set sail on an adventure on a solid and reliable boat.

Can anyone recommend where would be a good place to advertise her? As mentioned, she would be ideal for a young couple (or solo sailor) looking for an adventure. Seeing as we're no longer in a position to make the most of the boat, it would be nice to see someone else get to enjoy her.

Last edited:

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
I sometimes wish that I had the guts and the sense to do the same. So far the reasoning has been that I can't take anything with me and, at my age, that is bound to happen sooner rather than later. My heirs can then decide what to do with my boat and all the other stuff; they'll just have less to inherit.

Flica

Visit site
Work - the curse of the sailing classes.

I bought my boat 27 years ago to a very tight functional specification, to suit my specific, future needs.
Though I've frequently looked nothing has improved on that specification.

Now @ age 81, I enjoy the boat in Greek waters for 7/12 of the year - find it considerably cheaper than living on land in the UK and am able to dramatically reduce the volume and nunber of pills forced on me by my quack, whilst aboard.

I fear that, whilst in full time employment, no valid economic case can be made for being the sole owner of a boat.
But I can assure you it all falls into place when you're allowed to step off the rat-race.

Strangely, miles pa have not risen, but dropped, since retirement - now totals about 39K nautical miles and she's just had her 2nd standing-rigging replacement since bought new.

Visit site
Why on earth spend - what - 6% or more on a broker who does stuff-all for the money?

What's wrong with Apolloduck? If its a saleable boat it'll sell there. If it's not going to sell the broker can't do it either without a big price-drop and still grab his 6%.

Cardo

www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk
Thanks to those who have shown an interest in Tinkerbell. We've finally listed her for sale with Why Boats, . I would imagine this detail may get removed, but I'll avoid putting a link in to try to stay under the radar!

She's with a broker as we live almost two hours away from the boat, and we both work. We simply don't have the time to show her around to interested parties. It's a pity as I would be far more able to provide details about all her intricacies, but there we go.

Sneaky Pete

Visit site
Apollo Duck you may be able to get a free ad in there, The Yacht Market has huge exposure for a reasonable amount of money you could upload many pictures of the boat and details of her. You need to get as much exposure as you can for marketing. Don’t think it is close to Xmas not a lot of interest boats sell all year round. Good luck.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Facebook has a group 'Yachts & Yachty bits for sale'
There are a surprising number of yachts put up for sale there.

There also a FB yachts boats for sale

As I wrote before on this subject, a good webs site with lots of photos and a video then put ads in Apollo duck , the yachtmarket, with links to the web site .
Last thing make sure you price it reasonable and when an offer made , think very carefully before turning it down , if maybe a long while before getting another one .

Last edited:

Capt. Clueless

Visit site
Thing about Apollo duck is that for more than one pic, you need to pay. Facebook sites will give you as many pics as you like virtually, a lot of viewers and it's free. Apollo duck, although a large site, will slowly get marginalised, as the free sites take over.

Pinnacle

Visit site
Thing about Apollo duck is that for more than one pic, you need to pay. Facebook sites will give you as many pics as you like virtually, a lot of viewers and it's free. Apollo duck, although a large site, will slowly get marginalised, as the free sites take over.

Capt. You are making the assumption that all boat buyers “do” TwitFace.

Capt. Clueless

Visit site
Capt. You are making the assumption that all boat buyers “do” TwitFace.

I was the same some years back, until my son convinced me to open an acct. It is something that I wished I'd joined years ago, to not only keep fully up to date with my friends & family, but for the buying/selling experience of which I have used many, many times. Anybody who hasn't joined, I would strongly reccommend that they do. I can happily spend a few hours sitting reading through various pages on subjects that interest me. I have bought & sold on the yachting/boating pages too. Those who don't know about it, will criticise it, but believe me, you'll be glad you did if you joined.
Ha, ha, the diversity is just so great in all the yachting/boating section. I've just logged on to one of the boats for sale sites, and there is a guy who wants to swap a forklift truck for a boat.;)

Last edited: