Time Team Woodbridge Sutton Hoo Ship

steve62

Visit site
Never been so disapointed when I visited Sutton Hoo with my son when he was young. They didn'y actually say that the boat had been covered over after the dig so all you see is an outline in a field and all the good stuff is on display at the British Museum.

johnalison

Visit site
Never been so disapointed when I visited Sutton Hoo with my son when he was young. They didn'y actually say that the boat had been covered over after the dig so all you see is an outline in a field and all the good stuff is on display at the British Museum.
I think that a little research on your part might have helped. It is not really what is on show that makes it remarkable so much as the site itself and knowing that you are standing on history, though you have to imagine it without the trees. The museum has some artefacts on loan from the BM. On one visit there they had the jewelled buckle, which is one of the most amazing objects I have ever seen, better than the Topkapi dagger.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I think that a little research on your part might have helped. It is not really what is on show that makes it remarkable so much as the site itself and knowing that you are standing on history, though you have to imagine it without the trees. The museum has some artefacts on loan from the BM. On one visit there they had the jewelled buckle, which is one of the most amazing objects I have ever seen, better than the Topkapi dagger.
Ipswich museum has some of the artefacts and replicas which are well worth a visit in conjunction with visiting the site although it's 15 years since I visited either.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
In the 1980s I had a small professional involvement in the archaeology of Sutton Hoo. Those who saw the "Chronicle" programmes may remember a little yellow buggy doing very early ground penetrating radar surveys. It was built and operated by a colleague, and I processed the data. I also worked on data from a precision elevation survey, to visualize the surface using hill-shading - old hat now, but the latest thing then!

This is the beast: https://archaeologydataservice.ac.u...issemination/photos/galleryimg/jpg/n68_03.jpg

Last edited: