tilly lamp

G

Hi,
Ive just been given a tilly lamp, but it seems a bit dangerous, any ideas on renovating it, its a nice one and
stands about 18".
when i light it , it tends to smoke qute a bit.

G

Try Base Camp in Littlehampton 01903 723 853 - seem to know all about old paraffin gear
Gavin

brianrunyard

homepage.ntlworld.com
A Tilley lamp is very safe used properly, it will smoke if it's not heated up enough before you turn on the paraffin.
I use one for beach fishing and it's a common fault on a cold night, I let the meths igniter burn until it's almost out, then give 8 pumps and open the valve slowly (if you get a yellow flame it's not hot enough) the mantel should glow white, leave for about 1 minute then give approx 40 pumps.
A good hardware shop or agricutural supplier should have Mantels, Atomisers and pump service kits.
Treat the mantel carefully, it's very fragile once it's been used it's basically ash.

G

Brian seems to have the right idea, but don't ever start one in doors, in a boat cabin, or with a sail or other conmbustibles above. They can flare up when the valve is opened, throwing great yelow flames upwards for upto 2ft. Personally, I wouldn't ever use one, but I do appreciate that once lit they provide a fantastic (and cheap to run) light source.

G

Instead of messing about with meths to pre-heat the stem just give it a burst with a small blow-torch - though be careful of the mantel itself . They are great .. I have used one for years.

bernard_foster

Visit site
Tilley lamps are superb, however, be carefull not ot uver pump it, I have seen a base tank explode (not my own). As previously stated Base camp are very good, but so are Tilley themselves, check out thier web site

G

And there are also Tilleys that don't run on kerosene (paraffin) at all, but on Shellite, a refined form of petrol (gasoline, benzine.)

These models don't need preheating, whether by methylated spirits, blowlamp, or any other method -- you just pressurise the tank, open the valve a bit, put a match to the mantle, and you're away.

Naturally, you need to take all the care with shellite for a lamp as you would take with petrol for an engine (including ventilating the bilges after spillage.) And NEVER use shellite in a lamp that isn't designed for it.

Last point -- it seems to me to be just possible that you have a shellite-burner there, which is why it's smoking on kero. If the problem doesn't go away through following these other suggestions, get professional advice from a qualified servicing company. (PLEASE don't be tempted to experiment,,,,)

mikefield@woodenboatfittings.com

G

tilley are still in business (or were when i contacted them not too long ago) from a base in northern ireland. they are very helpful.

G

Re: Tilley lamp

Brian, your right. I have fished for years and have used both tillys and Anchor parafin lamps. To the best of my knowledge Tilley never made a petrol lamp but Coleman do. I always start my Tilley by leaving the main pump/filler un-screwed whilst pre-heating, then at about half meth burn undo the main valve and do up the pump, wait until meth is about gone and give 2-4 pumps and it always fires up first time (must be 20 years old luv it to bits).Most good fishing shops stock Tilley bits.