Tide question & 3L merc range

Warpa

Visit site
Im sure its my age as when i used to go out years ago a knew how long i had to get to the slipway before the tide had gone. Is there a quick and simple method that you use:confused:

Ill be based at Cobden bridge in southampton, say i get there and the tide is just about to float my boat (no pun intended :D ) is there a way to work out how long i can go out for assuming i know when full tide is. Or lets say i get there and have just enough time to take the boat out before its beached...

Also what is the rough range at cruising speed for a 3L merc on a 17' boat? I think i have around a 21 gallon tank (US) Maxum 1750:confused:

Warpa

Visit site
But he's in the Solent again with the double dip tides!

Look at the tidal curve;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast_and_sea/tide_tables/8/62/

There is almost 3hrs of HW if you arrive at the right time. Jolly useful that.

That just bought it all back to me, i used to go out when the tide was coming in know i had more than enough time on the water. I used to be out a lot longer than 3 hrs though. looking at the chart whether tide is coming in or out i have roughly 5 hrs from when the boat is afloat, but longer if i leave when the tide is still rising? Perhaps another 2 hours.

lovezoo

www.myspace.com
Also what is the rough range at cruising speed for a 3L merc on a 17' boat? I think i have around a 21 gallon tank (US) Maxum 1750:confused:
You will use around 1 litre per mile, but the only way to know for sure is to brim the tank, go out for a run over a measured distance, then brim the tank again.

AndieMac

Visit site
You will use around 1 litre per mile, but the only way to know for sure is to brim the tank, go out for a run over a measured distance, then brim the tank again.

Agree with LZ, but just carry a spare full container (10 litres?) up under a bow seat until you get used to her burn rate.

Warpa

Visit site
Agree with LZ, but just carry a spare full container (10 litres?) up under a bow seat until you get used to her burn rate.

Thats a good idea, i have also been looking for the metal jerry cans but dont seem to be able to find any on the intrawe:confused:bnet

AndieMac

Visit site
Thats a good idea, i have also been looking for the metal jerry cans but dont seem to be able to find any on the intrawe:confused:bnet

I see Carlton has kindly directed you to a link.

My preference is for poly/plastic drums, as they are kinder on the gel when being stuffed into corners and dragged across things, especially if in bow lockers bouncing across waves, besides the metal may start to rust and leave stains, when the paint chips after a few seasons in the salty air.

Warpa

Visit site
i saw those metal ones in halfords, i was after the bigger ones just to fill the boat at the mariner. Ill use my 5 liter plastic one under the bow seats and see how many i can store there, but top the boat tank up with them just to keep it fresh.