Through the Kyles of Bute at 46 knots?

dunedin

Visit site
A speedboat came back from Portavadie to Largs via the Kyles this afternoon at a steady 45-46 knots, including going through the rocky narrows of the Kyles of Bute at 46 knots after sunset. Not a common occurence around here.

Last edited:

penfold

Visit site
A speedboat came back from Portavadie to Largs via the Kyles this afternoon at a steady 45-46 knots, including going through the rocky narrows of the Kyles of Bute at 46 knots after sunset. Not a common occurence around here.
One of those things that falls into the "Just because you can doesn't mean you should" category.

scottie

Visit site
I went through The Narrows at Khamsin's near maximum speed - 6kts.
What's so scary about that, you ask?

Well, I had two Fifes on each beam - Probably well over £1,000,000 within a beam's distance..........:eek:
Going through the kyles with the CCC Toberermory fleet was interesting especially when the Macbraynes steamer turned up as give way vessel and nobody got hurt

ctva

Visit site
Ooch, they went through the easy straight narrows on the NE, not the wiggly one to the SW, pansies. :giggle:

I remember my first trip through there was on a CCC Tobermory race in the mid 80's, start at Rothesay with a southerly wind, 8-10 abreast under spinnaker and no one was giving an inch. How we all squeezed through, I'll never know. :eek:

Ink

Visit site
Both passages at the narrows are "No Wash Zones". ..... Just saying.

There is a local bye law which prohibits wash between Colintraive all the way round to the south end of Kames. Its not just the Narrows.

Unfortunately no one is there to police it other than the occasional shout from the ferry at someone being particularly stupid.

Ink

Minerva

Visit site
Going 20odd knots on the club rescue rib seems pretty fast to be - what does 45kts feel like? Do you need sprung suspension seats at that sorta speed? I'll admit, I would quite fancy a wee shotty of a boat that fast!

[2574]

Visit site
There is a local bye law which prohibits wash between Colintraive all the way round to the south end of Kames. Its not just the Narrows.

Unfortunately no one is there to police it other than the occasional shout from the ferry at someone being particularly stupid.

Ink
The worst are the numpties that go past Tignabruaich in a big motorboat at semi-displacement speed, the wake generated has chucked our supper on the cockpit floor on more than one occasion when we've been anchored at Blackfarland. The boats on the moorings take a hammering too - the the driver of the boat never looks behind to see the chaos being caused......

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
The worst are the numpties that go past Tignabruaich in a big motorboat at semi-displacement speed, the wake generated has chucked our supper on the cockpit floor on more than one occasion when we've been anchored at Blackfarland. The boats on the moorings take a hammering too - the the driver of the boat never looks behind to see the chaos being caused......
the the driver of the boat never looks behind to see the chaos being caused......
Sort of sums up a large proportion of the human race in many situations and spheres - not just boating.
Sadly.

Stooriefit

Visit site
Why ctva asks. Did you read what the Op posted - "A speedboat came back from Portavadie to Largs via the Kyles this afternoon at a steady 45-46 knots, including going through the rocky narrows of the Kyles of Bute at 46 knots after sunset". Enough said.