This winters jobs -

lumphammer

Visit site
This winter I need to replace the 2 bladed folding prop (Ridice?) and renew the packing in the stern-gland.

I am looking for advice on tools, technique e.g.

Is it going to be easiest to remove the propshaft? How do you tell what type of packing to use? What is the best way to remove prop? Any suggestions for specific tools?

TIA
Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>

JAYEL

Visit site
Lumphammer; Removal of folding props; Last season removed fixed prop and fitted a Gori folder on my Trapper 300, which will be a similar operation. The blades have to be removed by taking out the allen screws, then punching out the two blade retaining pins. This done ,you can now get to the shaft nut. this may or may not be held by another allen screw from the side. Undo shaft nut with socket spanner and pull off main body with hub puller. Re shaft removal, I split the shaft from the gearbox at flange, raised the engine with crowbar and wooden blocks,then pulled out shaft forward,having loosened stern tube fittings first. Hope this is of some help Jayel.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mhouse

Visit site
Before resorting to trying to hit the prop to remove it from the shaft heat the boss up with a blow torch. It will than nearly fall off.

<hr width=100% size=1>