This is sad...

dom

Visit site
Like you I never met these guys personally, but my dad did and he thought they were great. It is indeed sad that they've gone under as from what I hear, and from what I know secondhand, they actually taught sailing ...and well to boot.

Hope all of the employees sort themselves out.

Giblets

Visit site
They certainly did teach sailing and no egos involved whatever. When I did YM Practical they were in the process of moving offices so we did all the shorebased paperwork at John's kitchen table in Swanwick.

Seajet

Visit site
Yery sad news indeed, I have seen them around a lot over the years, everything I saw confirmed their ' proper sailing & seamanship ' reputation as the best, certainly since the Solent School of Yachting - similar top skippers and tough boats but maybe let down by admin - went years ago.

I do hope there are still decent Solent based alternatives to the mega corporate ' come and get a suntan ' outfits ?

BOSS ?

marklucas

Visit site
Well I guess John is getting on. And yes I have had supper at his kitchen table.

But the most rewarding thing was being one of the instructors and passing on the ethos of knowledge, technique and self-reliance - sod modern gimmeckery. The boats weren't the smartest, but that meant if a student's approach to the pontoon was a little aggressive, it didn't matter. And how many schools on a 5 day course do a complete inventory and testing of everything with the students when the pub is beckoning?