Thinking a head

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Many of us are making plains for the coming season no matter if you happen to be a full time Cruiser/ liveaboard like ourself , you may be one of the lucky once that been dreaming of sailing into the sun set and now the time has arrived or just a weekend sailor , one thing we all have in common is we all looking forward to getting back to sailing.

So how your plain going ? What are you looking for out of this season?

Over the last few years our main objectives where to sail in areas which isn't packed with boats especially with charters boat , in the Med that can be hard to do at times although we mostly manage it by sailing in areas where some may find it more taxing then they like,

anchorages more exposed then the horse shoes bays of Greece and Turkey.

This year we plain to head west possibly out of the Med exploring some North African country which we not visited for nine years or so.

Southern Spain coast from Calpe to Gib has never been a favourite part of coast for us but the North African coast much more interesting.

For some this may be one of the last Year we free to go where we like in Europe without new regulation and laws driving us out for some months so best make the most of it .

For then who haven't started yet, it's time to get them charts and pilot books out.

fredrussell

Visit site
To me, the whole year is the season. Boat costs too much to stop using it for 6 months a year. Was sailing last weekend, was glorious - whole river to myself.

Stemar

Visit site
After a spell of poor health that's left me with significantly less energy than before, my plan is to make a special effort to do more than pottering around the Solent. If I find I can do it and I still enjoy it, great. If not, since Milady likes being places on the boat, but doesn't enjoy the process of getting there, it'll be either a move to the dark side or anchor swallowing time.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Will be doing the same as every year .... spending my summer hols and every available long weekend pottering about in the Adriatic, enjoying messing about in my boat.

We cook aboard and since we installed solar panels and can now run the fridge 24/7 there is no need to go near the masses until we run out of water which takes about 4-5 days and just involves half an hour tied up at a town quay - we re-stock, fill with water, dump rubbish, and head off again. If this were my forever-boat I would fit a water maker, a generator and a washing maschine - but that is a project for the next boat.

There are plenty of secluded spots off the beaten track, so charter boats can usually be avoided - we spent most of our time last year hanging on the hook, swimming, exploring and windsurfing or underway to the next anchorage.

Looking forward to more of the same this year.

GHA

Visit site
Just getting back in the water will be enough! :) Then who knows, given up on planning as anything other than a stab in the dark at what the future might hold rather than any kind of illusion of being in control and knowing what's best in a few months time ;)

Though south beckoning, maybe time to get back to the tropics for a while. Or north, a while ago saw a pic of the Lofoten Islands in a magazine instantly followed by that little inner voice --- MUST GO THERE.......
Seems to depend on outside temperature and which youtube was the last one watched, Delos or Teleport..

For then who haven't started yet, it's time to get them charts and pilot books out.
People still do that? ;)
SasPlanet & navily these days :cool:

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
After a few years of getting away from May till October I spent 2018 out of the water giving the boat som TLC. My plan for last year was not to stray too far from UK waters, I thought to revisit Rouen and North Brittany, but what with Doctors appointments and family visits that didn't happen! The farthest I got was Newport IoW in one direction and Weymouth in the other, but the good side was that I had a couple of people (separately) along as crew who both expressed an interest in doing longer trips with me.
Which brings me to plans for this year, it's a toss up between trying to achieve what I had planned for last year but with a crew, or do what I most enjoy, going down to Galicia for the summer, maybe with a crew. A lot will depend on a Doctors appointment in February!!

Babylon

Visit site
Well... I'm currently building an 8ft pram as a working tender for the mothership... which will come out for the whole of March for a 'full-service' so to speak (the first in a few years as I normally just dry and scrub on the wall), plus mast down and probable replacement of the standing rigging.

Then it's anyone's guess! My pup will be six months old when we re-launch, so will just start with Solent long weekends. If the weather is suitable in the Easter holidays then its the Dorset coast with my lad as well.

Summer I'll think about later, but no long offshore passages for pup until next year I reckon - and even then I'll have limit how much he drinks/eat before getting underway!

Last edited:

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Ha! I'm jealous of people with plans. It implies they have a chance of coming off. With our family situation and not being the hardiest sailors it is a struggle to get anywhere, it is weekend sailing for us. I just have it as the default option if the weather is conducive. Sailing inside Chichester harbour is great in itself too. The idea of getting to Poole or beyond from Chichester is the best it can get. Somehow our grown up children still like two week family holidays (which don't involve sailing), once that habit is broken.....
I'd really like to cross the channel soon, just waiting for the opportunity. Once that is achieved I would hope it can become a regular thing and non sailors can ferry across to join us. But it is no good if I completely traumatise my wife in the process so patience is the key.
So really my plan is to sail as much as possible whenever the opportunity allows. That might be 10 nights afloat in a year. Not enough but every one is memorable.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Well with my new found freedom I am looking forward to a fun year doing lots of things in le Manche before heading off on my 2021 Tour of Golfe de Gascogne and the Azores

Garold

Visit site
We hope to launch and be on board in the Ionian in April, then across to Athens area in early May. A steady cruise across the Aegean to Turkey for early June. Probably cross back to Greece in August sometime. Then find somewhere to park up in October for winter.

LePacha

Visit site
- Getting (finally) my ticket to show off - will have to find a new job and take the exam while in between jobs: working on it. Planning on resigning in the next 2-3 months, if Brexit is not compromising everything in the workplace.
- Buying a boat: errr.... other priorities conflicting with this... see kids, real estate, trying to be "wise"...
- Telling everybody to go and eff off while I am going to scourge the 7 seas... compromised without a boat. Plus SWMBO telling me to wait as otherwise I'll go and sleep on the couch... may have to postpone to next year.

Well, seems all in all like a good year ahead, even if not entirely as per my dreams :)

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Many of us are making plains for the coming season no matter if you happen to be a full time Cruiser/ liveaboard like ourself , you may be one of the lucky once that been dreaming of sailing into the sun set and now the time has arrived or just a weekend sailor , one thing we all have in common is we all looking forward to getting back to sailing.

Over the last few years our main objectives where to sail in areas which isn't packed with boats especially with charters boat , in the Med that can be hard to do at times although we mostly manage it by sailing in areas where some may find it more taxing then they like,

anchorages more exposed then the horse shoes bays of Greece and Turkey.

This year we plain to head west possibly out of the Med exploring some North African country which we not visited for nine years or so.

Southern Spain coast from Calpe to Gib has never been a favourite part of coast for us but the North African coast much more interesting.

For some this may be one of the last Year we free to go where we like in Europe without new regulation and laws driving us out for some months so best make the most of it .

Hi Vic ,did Santa buy you a spell checker? Have a good season

PhillM

Visit site
I have a few plans... over the channel then down the french coast to the Brest Festival of sea, followed by the Dourneauz festival, then home for a weekend. Then off on the club cruise in company from the Solent to Falmouth (non club members welcome). If the house sale goes though and I have the spare cash, then to sign onto the 2021 Clipper and so do the training at the tail end of this year.

V1701

Visit site
I'd like to do a solo trip across the channel sometime this year and see a few different places in France, as a precursor to having a year off to go sailing from Spring next year. And also to do the work to get the boat ready for the year off. The basics are all there but I want to revamp the electrics, rebed at least some of the deck fittings, make a hard sprayhood, etc. Really hoping for better weather this year, I found last year very frustrating not being able to sail or do as much work on the boat as I'd have liked. Fingers crossed!

Vindwayne

Visit site
Currently doing boat work in Algarve. Heading for Med this year for first time (possibly the last due to B) Then hope to cross Atlantic at year end. Will only make it to Italy and Greece and will miss most of it as limited time. But really, who knows as plans change all the time......

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Having just bought a ( new to us ) bigger boat, our plans are to sail much further afield this year, giving the kids the opportunity to realise that the world is big and it's a long way if you don't fly at 500 MPH!

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
We might spend a couple of weeks in the Ionian this year. It will be our first return since our 2014 cruise.

Is it like the old days where we can just turn up at Gouvia Port Police and they will sort out all the payments and permits? :unsure:

Richard

Daydream believer

Visit site
I'd really like to cross the channel soon, just waiting for the opportunity. .
You probably have the opportunity, but you have to have the will.
When I had my first Stella in the 70's I would leave Burnham at 05-00 on a Friday evening & arrive Ostend, Saturday mid day. Then leave ostend Sunday morning & be back midnight Sunday ready for work on Monday. I did that 3-4 times a year & never missed a bank holiday for that extra day. I was still doing it in my second Stella in 2001-3; but taking a day off work each time.
So channel hops are quite dooable in a weekend if you really want to do them.
As a Solent sailor Cherbourg would be a doddle.