Thin wire connections

Visit site
Is it acceptable to add new wire spliced to the old wire to thicken the wire and reduce the overall resistance?

donm

Visit site
I’ve started to use the wago for data cables. Nice and easy to use and if the cables need to be rerouted it is easy. If you solder it is a pain to take apart.

No need to fear stripping some insulation back, get yourself a decent cable stripper. Those connectors shown in post #7 are not Wagos, but the principal of the stripped wire is the same.

These would last a lifetime if you look after them C.K Wire Stripper 10 1/4" (265mm) - Screwfix

There are cheaper around, but stick to the style.
Looks a lot better that the one that I have and ideal for use in confined spaces, so just going to pick one up from Toolstation - about £10 cheaper than Screwfix for the same make if you can believe it, and the shops are opposite each other!

donm

Visit site
I used these to join the instrument wires (below deck) from the mast to the cabin electrics.

Worked really well but I am not an electrician and I hope not to have to undo any time soon!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kuject-Connectors-Waterproof-Electrical-Automotive/dp/B073RMRCC3/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=heat+shrink+solder+sleeves&qid=1702196462&sr=8-5&th=1
Thanks but sadly I don't have the space to make these up and safely heat shrink the joint but something to think about if starting from scratch

bedouin

Visit site
For data connections I like "blue seas" type terminal blocks - I find them a tidier way of managing multiple connections than the Wagos (that I also use but for power connections).

The screw form means they will take a wide variety of styles - bare wire (braided or solid) or crimped ring/spade terminals etc.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
If I have space I like to install a short strip of DIN rail & then use bootlace ferrules on the wire going into them. They are easily available, cheap & there's a large range of stuff you can attach to a DIN rail ranging from a simple plain 2 wire terminal, high current breakers for solar & battery connections up to a mini 5 port ethernet router. The terminals are fixed in place & hold the wires going into the terminals steady and can be easily labeled to correspond with numbers on the wires. They look professional because they are - as used widely on larger craft & ships. You can get enclosures for them as well.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
If I have space I like to install a short strip of DIN rail & then use bootlace ferrules on the wire going into them. They are easily available, cheap & there's a large range of stuff you can attach to a DIN rail ranging from a simple plain 2 wire terminal, high current breakers for solar & battery connections up to a mini 5 port ethernet router. The terminals are fixed in place & hold the wires going into the terminals steady and can be easily labeled to correspond with numbers on the wires. They look professional because they are - as used widely on larger craft & ships. You can get enclosures for them as well.

I agree I have used DIN rail mounting fo terminals and circuit breakers on my boat as well as industrial panels I used to design and construct

Just a different way of doing the same job as Wago

You can also easy add terminals in the middle of the DIN rail for additional connections .

DIN terminals cab also be connected together for easy multi connections

BabaYaga

Visit site
I am trying to tidy up the connections between the chart plotter, antenna and the radio which I made some time ago using gel connectors. This has produced a clump of connections looking a bit like an overloaded blackberry bush, and to make matters worse I appear to have dislodged some connections when working on the general electric installation. The wires are very fine and I am wondering if there is a better way of connecting them and producing a tidier and more ordered result?
Another alternative for thin data wires and modest power wires:
https://media.distrelec.com/Web/Downloads/00/28/04380028.pdf
I use these for wires going up the mast (wind transducer, navigation lights). I unstep my mast every year, good not having to leave bare wire ends hanging out of the mast foot over the winter.
Wires are soldered onto the tags (hole type, -550). You can add a piece of heat shrink where the wires go into the stems of the housing for extra protection.

donm

Visit site
I am trying to tidy up the connections between the chart plotter, antenna and the radio which I made some time ago using gel connectors. This has produced a clump of connections looking a bit like an overloaded blackberry bush, and to make matters worse I appear to have dislodged some connections when working on the general electric installation. The wires are very fine and I am wondering if there is a better way of connecting them and producing a tidier and more ordered result?
Thanks for all of the advice.
I am just getting to the end of this job and I used Wago connectors as the connection location is very restricted and the connectors are tolerant of my low ability to make a good connection, and are also easy to disconnect where I have made a wrong connection!

However, I am not able to get the Plotter and VHF to talk to each other and show the AIS data collected by the VHF on the plotter screen. The VHF works but does not show any position or data. The Plotter works and does show a correct position.

The tables below show the connection details for both Plotter and VHF and all that I need is for some kind soul (forumite) to tell me which colours to connect?

It did all work before I moved the electrics about and disturbed the connections and if I can be sure of the connections I will trouble shoot elsewhere.

Furuno VHF RO 4800
NMEA IN(+)GPS to Nav. ReceiverYellow
NMEA IN (-)GPS to Nav. ReceiverGreen
NMEA OUT (+)DSC data outputOrange
NMEA OUT (-)DSC data outputBare
NMEA OUT (+)38.4/4.8 Baud for AIS outputBlue
NMEA OUT (-)38.4/4.8 Baud for AIS outputGrey

Standard Horizon Plotter CP 175 C
NMEA CommonGreen
Port 1 Input connect to VHF with DSC and DSE outputBlue
Port 1 Output connect to VHF to supply GPS position dataBrown

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thanks for all of the advice.
I am just getting to the end of this job and I used Wago connectors as the connection location is very restricted and the connectors are tolerant of my low ability to make a good connection, and are also easy to disconnect where I have made a wrong connection!

However, I am not able to get the Plotter and VHF to talk to each other and show the AIS data collected by the VHF on the plotter screen. The VHF works but does not show any position or data. The Plotter works and does show a correct position.

The tables below show the connection details for both Plotter and VHF and all that I need is for some kind soul (forumite) to tell me which colours to connect?

It did all work before I moved the electrics about and disturbed the connections and if I can be sure of the connections I will trouble shoot elsewhere.

Furuno VHF RO 4800
NMEA IN(+)GPS to Nav. ReceiverYellow
NMEA IN (-)GPS to Nav. ReceiverGreen
NMEA OUT (+)DSC data outputOrange
NMEA OUT (-)DSC data outputBare
NMEA OUT (+)38.4/4.8 Baud for AIS outputBlue
NMEA OUT (-)38.4/4.8 Baud for AIS outputGrey

Standard Horizon Plotter CP 175 C
NMEA CommonGreen
Port 1 Input connect to VHF with DSC and DSE outputBlue
Port 1 Output connect to VHF to supply GPS position dataBrown

GPS from plotter to VHF
VHF Yellow to plotter brown
VHF Green to plotter green

AIS from VHF to plotter
VHF blue to plotter grey
VHF grey to plotter green

Your table for the plotter is incomplete, it does not show the connections for port 2 etc
Ensure port 2 is set to 38400 baud

Last edited:

donm

Visit site
GPS from plotter to VHF
VHF Yellow to plotter brown
VHF Green to plotter green

AIS from VHF to plotter
VHF blue to plotter grey
VHF grey to plotter green

Your table for the plotter is incomplete, it does not show the connections for port 2 etc
Ensure port 2 is set to 39400 baud

Thanks as usual Paul. I have connected the top two correctly but not the bottom two. Long live Wago connectors!
I will give it a go tomorrow and let you know
Thanks again

harvey38

Visit site
On a slight thread drift, I have a Standard Horizon VHF, what advantage is there connecting it to my Raymarine Chartplotter, if any?