The Wash

Livingthedream

Visit site
I’m thinking of venturing out to the wash from the Ouse over the next week. Sealine S24. Only want to stretch the engine for a bit and then come back into the river system. I’ve got the pilot map for the area and the engine and leg have recently been serviced so all good there. Just wanted some advice on the tidal situation and also silting as I’ve heard it’s a problem upstream from Denver. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

snowbird30ds

Norfolk broads based, coast when time allows.
Visit site
Check the kings lynn port website for up to date buoyage positions, there is a pontoon mooring at kings lynn these days but not been since it's placement so can't comment.
Fuel tank is more likely to give trouble than engine or leg, if it's got crud build up on the bottom you'll never know on the river but a bit of sea will soon stir it up causing engine trouble.
When you say upstream of denver do you mean you will be using the new bedford river rather than going out through denver sluice lock?
2012 was the last time I did the denver to kings lynn section and the worst shoals were always around the stow bridge area.

Alpha22

Visit site
The silting at Denver has been removed.
Talk to the guys at Denver Complex and let them know your plan... that way you stand a good chance of getting a locking at the tie you want.
You want a morning high tide... Leave Denver lock as the tide turns..... watch out for Stowbridge, if you are clear under the bridge then you are good all the way down. Not seen any particular sholing at Stowbridge... your draught wont cause you any problem just after high water.
Stay to the very outside of all the bends. Keep a keen eye on the depth sounder. Stay away from the outfall about halfway down.
You can then choose to go out to sea and do your thing... but you will have to stay out until the tide comes back in.
Alternatively, moor at the pontoon in Kings Lynn. Pre book.... www.sailthewash. You then have the next tide to go out and play.

Returning to Denver, Leave KL pontoon just after HW.... squeeze under the KL bridges then WOT all the way up to Denver Lock. - Stay wide at the bends again....

There are other ways to do it..... Neeps make it interesting...