The Wager by David Grann

Laser310

Visit site

Irish Rover

Visit site
I think he's a good writer - prose is very readable

Coincidentally, I see that a film based on one of his other books is getting good reviews:
Killers of the Flower Moon, Cannes review: Scorsese masterpiece gives DiCaprio his best role yet

i'm in Chapter 2 - it states 37 days England to Madeira; that can't be correct...
I read Killers of the Flower Moon recently as well. Not as easy a read, I thought, but an amazing story of which I was previously totally unaware.

Laser310

Visit site
I finished it.

I mostly liked it. It's a good story and he tells it pretty well.

Some of the political commentary, which is of a pretty contemporary aspect dealing with racism, empire etc., has very much the feel of being tacked on after the book was written. It doesn't really even apply to this story: the voyage was not a voyage of conquest, and their dealings with native peoples were peaceful and unremarkable.., unless you think that sailors after being at sea for months, and then shipwrecked would, not ordinarily be interested in female companionship.

I might give Killers of the Flower Moon a go - the book not the film. I don't watch films generally; i don't have the patience.

Irish Rover

Visit site
I finished it.

I mostly liked it. It's a good story and he tells it pretty well.

Some of the political commentary, which is of a pretty contemporary aspect dealing with racism, empire etc., has very much the feel of being tacked on after the book was written. It doesn't really even apply to this story: the voyage was not a voyage of conquest, and their dealings with native peoples were peaceful and unremarkable.., unless you think that sailors after being at sea for months, and then shipwrecked would, not ordinarily be interested in female companionship.

I might give Killers of the Flower Moon a go - the book not the film. I don't watch films generally; i don't have the patience.
I wasn't aware of the "political commentary" to which you refer and I can't see how any modern author could give an account of those events without the inherent racism and imperialism of the era being obvious and highlighted not to mention the wanton cruelty inflicted on the "lower classes" by those in authority.
Plenty of racism from the early part of the 20th century in Killers of the Flower Moon as well.
I'm currently reading another account of bigotry and racism in 1920's America called A Fever in the Heartland which makes me wonder what would have happened if Hitler had been born in the world's greatest democracy.

Laser310

Visit site
i guess my main point is not whether the comments are appropriate, or not. The comments, and there are not many, did not read as an organic part of the book. Rather, they have the feel of being an afterthought. I mean to speak more about the writing than the content.

Irish Rover

Visit site
i guess my main point is not whether the comments are appropriate, or not. The comments, and there are not many, did not read as an organic part of the book. Rather, they have the feel of being an afterthought. I mean to speak more about the writing than the content.
Can't say I noticed that myself. Anyway I'm glad it didn't spoil your enjoyment too much because it is, as you say, a good story, well told.