The Three Amigos/Seacocks need some love

steveeasy

Visit site
These need some love. Ive got some fine grinding paste and since taking the picture removed the cones and they look fine needed a little grinding but seam good. the bolts look fine too. But they are so dirty and unloved. Ive tried to brush them and and its very slow process. is there anything I can spray on them to loosen the grime?. Ive considered unbolting them, do you think they are just bedded on a silicon sealant ?. Any advice appreciated.

Steveeasy

Attachments

• 10.jpeg
    10.jpeg
    659.1 KB · Views: 48

Plum

Visit site
These need some love. Ive got some fine grinding paste and since taking the picture removed the cones and they look fine needed a little grinding but seam good. the bolts look fine too. But they are so dirty and unloved. Ive tried to brush them and and its very slow process. is there anything I can spray on them to loosen the grime?. Ive considered unbolting them, do you think they are just bedded on a silicon sealant ?. Any advice appreciated.

Steveeasy
If they were mine, after doing the checks and re-grind you have done, i would admire them as they are and spend the time going sailing. In a few months time they will be green again. :)

steveeasy

Visit site
If they were mine, after doing the checks and re-grind you have done, i would admire them as they are and spend the time going sailing. In a few months time they will be green again. :)
What sailing, Well thats a much better plan. Not even a little clean though.. wondered if there was some magic potion I could poor on them to make them look loved. Ill treat them to new hose and some new clips.

Steveeasy

KevinV

Visit site
What sailing, Well thats a much better plan. Not even a little clean though.. wondered if there was some magic potion I could poor on them to make them look loved. Ill treat them to new hose and some new clips.

Steveeasy
A dash of acf50 to keep them honest?

tillergirl

Visit site
Steve. You need a serious talking to. Leave your seacocks alone. Nuffin wrong at all with the, Silicon has no place anywhere near a seacock. By all means grease your cones with PROPER Blakes grease. And go off sailing. It is patina. Bronze bolts are the proper product. At the risk of Pye End, introducting stainless steel next to a bronze fitting is ..... I am trying to be polite ..... not the best idea. Just use bronze bolts and pack up the paranoia and go sailing.

steveeasy

Visit site
Steve. You need a serious talking to. Leave your seacocks alone. Nuffin wrong at all with the, Silicon has no place anywhere near a seacock. By all means grease your cones with PROPER Blakes grease. And go off sailing. It is patina. Bronze bolts are the proper product. At the risk of Pye End, introducting stainless steel next to a bronze fitting is ..... I am trying to be polite ..... not the best idea. Just use bronze bolts and pack up the paranoia and go sailing.
Really?.I remember looking at them last year when the boat was in the water and they looked like they were bubbling. Alive. Could that be the screws or am I Hallucinating.
Steveeasy

Stemar

Visit site
If you really want to clean them, a BRASS* wire brush or one of those nylon sanding brushes in a drill will do the job. They won't be spotless, if you want that, you need a naughty midshipman who's been put on fatigues, Brasso and lots of rags, but you'll need a regular supply of all three, because they'll want doing again in a month or two.

* check it with a magnet; I've seen magnetic "brass" brushes that rust, just like steel, once they've been used a time or two,

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Maybe he was questioning if the bolts had been changed for stainless ones as in the picture although hard to tell one does look suspiciously shiny. If they have been changed for stainless then they need replacing with the correct silicon bronze bolts.

Pye_End

Visit site
Maybe he was questioning if the bolts had been changed for stainless ones as in the picture although hard to tell one does look suspiciously shiny. If they have been changed for stainless then they need replacing with the correct silicon bronze bolts.
They look as though they could be to me.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Every Sadler built has Blakes seacocks attached with stainless bolts, plus the P-bracket and skeg also attached with the same. Mine are nearly 40 years old, others are older, the vast majority in perfect condition.

Other threads that may be of interest