The Thames Canal

Quint

Visit site
With so many narrowboats wide beams Live aboard’s etc in a row after row logging all the available mooring along the The entire length of the River Thames it seems to me that the river has just become an extension of the grand union canal , so perhaps a more appropriate name change is required from River to Canal .

oldgit

Visit site
......but they are actually using the river for the other 9 months of the year when the Gin Places are connected to their tube heaters and dehumidifiers attached firmly to the pontoons and shore power in their marinas.
With certain exceptions of course. :)

Portland Billy

Visit site
Each of the above posts take differing sides of over exaggerating .
The reality is canal and river boats are becoming ever more popular to the detriment of traditional river motor cruisers.
I believe some form of length restriction will be required in the future to preserve berthing availability?.

TrueBlue

Visit site
But why should there be any duty for a public authority - or anyobe else to provide a mooring for anyone?
Surely it's a matter for market process?

EA are responsible for the rover flow and to some extent the margins. Anything else is up to a.n.o. who wishes to provide facilities for a charge or not depending on his need.
All boaters have is a right to navigate.
If the track is too narrow or too shallow - then 'tough'
I've been on the River with a boat for 30 tears, 10-15 more when hiring and some more within hailing of Fulham FC (on the other side. In those times folks boated in rag-abd-stick craft, very long thin stuff with sticky-out bits and shouting folks at the rear (umm - stern), all competing for resources, but not shouting about it.

Why shouldn't it be harmonious now???

oldgit

Visit site
But why should there be any duty for a public authority - or anyobe else to provide a mooring for anyone?
The malais of the Thames writ large ?

We demand lock keepers 24/7 and 365.
We demand trees/ foliage cut back immediately or preferably sooner.
We demand the river dredged to at least 2 metres over my personal bit of cruising area.
We demand that all lock chambers are jet washed after each lock operation to prevent "green stuff" getting onto fenders.
We demand no "Pop Up " cafes or other stuff likely to attract the general public :eek: to the river.
We demand that my type of boat has priority over all others on the navigation especially at honey pot moorings with a Waitrose nearbye.
We demand that under no circumstances should any event ever be held on the river that might possibly be a challenge to my skills as skipper.
We demand that all/any repairs to moorings/locks etc can only be carried out in December/January during the hours of darkness.
We demand that that all livaboards/rowers/swimmers/kayakers/narrowboats/ fishermen etc etc .....................................add your 10p worth here :)

Not bad for around £ 3.00 a day registration fee*. 12m x 4m boat.
* or 1.5 litres of diesel .

TrueBlue

Visit site
On reflection methinks my misspelling sums up conditions accurately.
I own a Wsob - lon thin tinny thing and accordingly am very grateful for anything that EA 'provides'
I look up to the large twin engined cruisers,
I look down on the dinghies
I know my place....

Chris_d

Visit site
On reflection methinks my misspelling sums up conditions accurately.
I own a Wsob - lon thin tinny thing and accordingly am very grateful for anything that EA 'provides'
I look up to the large twin engined cruisers,
I look down on the dinghies
I know my place....
But what do you aspire to, a widebeam? :)

Portland Billy

Visit site
I have been boating on the river ( tidal and non- tidal) for sixty years!!
It used to be well run by dedicated managers and officers who provided a much appreciated service.
This has steadily eroded, more so over the past ten years.
Seems to me it will get worse rather than improve unless funding is increased, and managerial interest revived.

Gavin E

Visit site
Seems to me that there would be plenty of room and moorings for all boats of whatever style you like if they took out all of the unlicensed ones.. the problem is not widebeams or narrowboats or canal cruisers - the problem is poorly maintained and unregistered wrecks that fill certain towns and take up moorings along the way.

Not sure what Oxford is like now, but went up there a couple of years ago as my good lady fancied staying there the weekend - couldn't get in anywhere because the banks were lined with what looked like permanently moored unloved liveaboards with not a license in view. Absolute eyesore.

Would love to hear things have changed but.....

Portland Billy

Visit site
Haven't ventured to Oxford for about five years - last visit was marred by the moorings being taken by unregistered boats seemingly owned by super lager swilling pot smoking individuals.
I would be interested to hear if things have changed as I rather like the town.

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
Unless you go up to Osney nothing has changed. If you want to visit Oxford, my advice is moor in Abingdon and take the bus in.

doing that on Monday, all be it from Benson. Currently on our two week cruise and the river is so quiet. Even passing Henley regatta it seemed quieter then normal. Wallingford, we were one of only 4 boats there (Tuesday). Moored above Days lock on Wednesday and only 3 boats went by the whole time we were there

Northern Star

Visit site
I now think that anything over 45 feet long should not be allowed on the upper Thames or pay a lot more especially if it is a wide beam visiting boat as they mooring is limited and it only take a few 60 foot boats to fill up the space.

Mark26

Visit site
Playing devils advocate… There are some with 17-20 ft boats who probably think yours is too big as well. They’d most likely want an upper size limit of 20ft.

Live and let live. We are all boaters enjoying the waterway, we all chose different craft but we are all nice people. If the mooring is full when you get there find another. Just as you would if a car park was full.

Next you’ll be telling me that all BMW drivers should be banned from the road. Or no boat owner driving a van should be allowed in the marina as they take up too much parking space.

Last edited:

Scapegoat

Visit site
I now think that anything over 45 feet long should not be allowed on the upper Thames or pay a lot more especially if it is a wide beam visiting boat as they mooring is limited and it only take a few 60 foot boats to fill up the space.
It would be helpful if the EA actively encouraged double mooring (rafting out) by narrow/wide beam boats on EA moorings where the River width is suitable. Mooring spaces are in short supply in the summer months and there are a lot more visiting Nb/ Wb so this would help to increase mooring opportunities

Barge

Visit site
It would be helpful if the EA actively encouraged double mooring (rafting out) by narrow/wide beam boats on EA moorings where the River width is suitable. Mooring spaces are in short supply in the summer months and there are a lot more visiting Nb/ Wb so this would help to increase mooring opportunities

I seem to remember the EA trying some initiative to encourage double mooring. It didn't really work...but reminders lockside wouldn't hurt.

It would also be helpful if boats shared rings and bollards and kept closer gaps when mooring.

Last edited:

Flynnbarr

Visit site
Working narrow boats and working barges were using the river way before gin palaces had even been thought about……maybe it’s the smoky engined Gin Palaces that should be restricted.
I presume everyone who’s moaning owns a Freeman 23 or similar !