The Stove. What’s good and what are you using?

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
We were tending to go French stove x3 burner combination with a nice oven for Sunday Roast underway but were starting to explore British alternatives.
What’s good and what do you guys say about it. Is it true some simply disintegrate under way?
I ask for we have heard so much on stoves that its hard to make a distinction with any measure of fact. And being able to afford it off course, it seems some are made with a combination of gold and diamonds wrapped in Graphite and Emerald knobs for the price they ask. ( and yet it looks so much like stainless and smaller then my kitchen one but with 3x the price )

Tranona

Visit site
We were tending to go French stove x3 burner combination with a nice oven for Sunday Roast underway but were starting to explore British alternatives.
What’s good and what do you guys say about it. Is it true some simply disintegrate under way?
I ask for we have heard so much on stoves that its hard to make a distinction with any measure of fact. And being able to afford it off course, it seems some are made with a combination of gold and diamonds wrapped in Graphite and Emerald knobs for the price they ask. ( and yet it looks so much like stainless and smaller then my kitchen one but with 3x the price )

No need to buy French, particularly if you want a separate grill. Nelson usually comes out top on tests, along with Neptune. Both are made in the UK and the latter is available in a 3 burner model. Also very competitive on price.

GregOddity

Visit site
No need to buy French, particularly if you want a separate grill. Nelson usually comes out top on tests, along with Neptune. Both are made in the UK and the latter is available in a 3 burner model. Also very competitive on price.

My wife profoundly disagreed with the one I was going for.. I’m going to be looking into it. I heard something bout Nelson I don’t know the Neptune. (looking it up) We would like to keep it british for ease of parts as well. Which is something I did not consideer to start with.

Norman_E

Visit site
If by French you mean ENO, don't go there as spares for older ones are unavailable, and the company are an absolute pain to deal with, even e-mails written in French go unanswered.

Visit site
I would get one with a grill. I’ve got a a French one and it doesn’t have a grill. Nuisance if you want toast. I’ve perfected a way of making a slice of toast by balancing the slice of bread on the pan clamps. But far from ideal.

Tranona

Visit site
My wife profoundly disagreed with the one I was going for.. I’m going to be looking into it. I heard something bout Nelson I don’t know the Neptune. (looking it up) We would like to keep it british for ease of parts as well. Which is something I did not consideer to start with.

Neptune used to be branded Plastimo, but are actually made in Bolton by Leisure Products.

Parts for some non British cookers are readily available, but avoid Techimpex. I have had 2 (because they are standard on Bavarias). OK for light use but do not stand up to heavy use and spares are difficult and expensive.

GregOddity

Visit site
I would get one with a grill. I’ve got a a French one and it doesn’t have a grill. Nuisance if you want toast. I’ve perfected a way of making a slice of toast by balancing the slice of bread on the pan clamps. But far from ideal.

Hehe I have been known to do the same. Easier at anchor or marina but not underway. Yeah were looking NOT to have to do that.

GregOddity

Visit site
Neptune used to be branded Plastimo, but are actually made in Bolton by Leisure Products.

Parts for some non British cookers are readily available, but avoid Techimpex. I have had 2 (because they are standard on Bavarias). OK for light use but do not stand up to heavy use and spares are difficult and expensive.

We’ve almost bought a “few” Bavarias over the last 2 years, one of the things that always needed replacing was the stove. They looked like they had fed a regiment of hungry wolfs for 20 years on max flame. I was not too impressed with that.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Greg

I went for a two burner gas stove (with a griller). I went that way because at home when I cook I never use more than two hot-plates.

I notice a lot of expensive yachts (incl. Halberg Rassy and Bavaria) nominate two burner gas stove (with oven) in their sales brochures these days,

Clive Cooper

Pords

Visit site
Have had a Neptune 4500 for the past 6 years and it is still as good as new. Apart from a thermocouple being duff when new we have had no problems since. Would defo buy another one when the time comes.

GregOddity

Visit site
Greg

I went for a two burner gas stove (with a griller). I went that way because at home when I cook I never use more than two hot-plates.

I notice a lot of expensive yachts (incl. Halberg Rassy and Bavaria) nominate two burner gas stove (with oven) in their sales brochures these days,

Clive Cooper

I must admit I’m a little stuck on the number of burners. I mostly cook at home, and to be honest I seldom use 3 burners even at home. I tend to use the oven to keep food simmering low while something else needs finishing, it’s out of the way and comes out the same. Were in heated discussion on the matter trying to understand the relation between the space available for 2 larger pots, i.e pot and frying pan, as opposed to try and fit 3 smaller pots which I have not seen often done to be honest.

Visit site
Hi Greg,

Just a thought, as you know anything with the word "marine" in front of it usually means expensive. Might be worth looking at caravan and motorhome fittings instead. I am sure you could fab up a gimble arrangement pretty easily.

When my father and I built a boat together (looooong time ago now) we bought a lot of fixtures and fitting like reading lights, inspection hatches etc etc from camping and caravanning shops. I know I will get slated and people will cry out that they are not built for the marine environment but that was not what we found and they were consistently cheaper.

Just my 2p worth.

GregOddity

Visit site
Hi Greg,

Just a thought, as you know anything with the word "marine" in front of it usually means expensive. Might be worth looking at caravan and motorhome fittings instead. I am sure you could fab up a gimble arrangement pretty easily.

When my father and I built a boat together (looooong time ago now) we bought a lot of fixtures and fitting like reading lights, inspection hatches etc etc from camping and caravanning shops. I know I will get slated and people will cry out that they are not built for the marine environment but that was not what we found and they were consistently cheaper.

Just my 2p worth.

Trust me that I look at everything EXCEPT the word marine. It is the specs I’m interested on and what materials they made of. A copper wire labelled marine is the same copper wire I can fit on a bus. A tin coated wire is also sold for non-marine uses. It’s just a question of seeing what is worth adapting and price /time for alteration /fitting that sometimes is not worth it.

I do look at caravan and motorhomes for the solutions they build and how that can compare to boat building, some are actually worth to take a lesson from in terms of arrangement of living space and food preparation and conservation. I also been looking at the wonderful world of private jets and how the living and galley arrangements work. Lot of thought goes into fabricating in a cylindrical form and limited space /weight ratio for airframes.

As we intend to go Blue Water sailing for some time, my priority is not the luxury side but more the long-term practicability of food storage and preparation while under way. I have no wish to have to take the boat apart for a can of beans and the last onion buried under the water tank. A lot of interesting solutions are to be found on motorhomes and caravans especially in the last few years that have not been implemented on Sailboats due to the "Luxury" aspect of it.

Last edited:

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I do look at caravan and motorhomes for the solutions they build and how that can compare to boat building, some are actually worth to take a lesson from in terms of arrangement of living space and food preparation and conservation. .

A lot of interesting solutions are to be found on motorhomes and caravans especially in the last few years that have not been impemented on Sailboats due to the "Luxury" aspect of it.

Greg I got the idea for the shower/toilet on my yacht from a caravan. I shuddered at the thought of having a shower and all the soapy water going over a marine toilet/piping. How would you clean it up so that it didn't smell over time? With mine I can now wipe a cloth over the toilet and it is done.

View attachment 70609

Clive

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
As we intend to go Blue Water sailing for some time, my priority is not the luxury side but more the long-term practicability of food storage and preparation while under way. I have no wish to have to take the boat apart for a can of beans and the last onion buried under the water tank. A lot of interesting solutions are to be found on motorhomes and caravans especially in the last few years that have not been implemented on Sailboats due to the "Luxury" aspect of it.

You will find caravan cookers are potentially cheaper because they are usually made of painted mild steel and lack gimbals and pan clamps. Most of the dedicated "marine" cookers have these features plus most of panels are stainless. However some still tend to have small non stainless fittings. Despite this they stand up well if the boat is essentially dry and you will find "bluewater" sailors happily use them. To get anything "better" means spending as much as 3 times the money for something like an GN Espace or a Taylors paraffin. Personally I like the Taylors but they are an acquired taste and difficult to justify the £2000+ price.

So, while not totally satisfactory the Nelson/Neptune/Dometic type cookers are adequate and with care, reasonably durable.

GregOddity

Visit site
You will find caravan cookers are potentially cheaper because they are usually made of painted mild steel and lack gimbals and pan clamps. Most of the dedicated "marine" cookers have these features plus most of panels are stainless. However some still tend to have small non stainless fittings. Despite this they stand up well if the boat is essentially dry and you will find "bluewater" sailors happily use them. To get anything "better" means spending as much as 3 times the money for something like an GN Espace or a Taylors paraffin. Personally I like the Taylors but they are an acquired taste and difficult to justify the £2000+ price.

So, while not totally satisfactory the Nelson/Neptune/Dometic type cookers are adequate and with care, reasonably durable.

I agree with that and it's a sound opinion. I LOVE the Taylors, but I don't like the paraffin, it's a bit too fiddly in my opinion as well and the price a bit out of my league. The stove is something that I am happy to take as is. I would not go with a caravan one as they do indeed tend to be mostly mild steel.

GregOddity

Visit site
Greg I got the idea for the shower/toilet on my yacht from a caravan. I shuddered at the thought of having a shower and all the soapy water going over a marine toilet/piping. How would you clean it up so that it didn't smell over time? With mine I can now wipe a cloth over the toilet and it is done.

View attachment 70609

Clive

That’s something I been looking at. We’re discussing the same subject, but that's for next week. Love that arrangement. Easy to clean and “neat” look.