The Stove. What’s good and what are you using?

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
I was thinking that you guys had this pretty much figured out and so it is. There's a quite an offering of models for any price and range but the question always comes down to real use and how they fare on a day to day instead of a single test that may or not actually find how reliable and easy to use they are. I like to eat well so therefore I cook. I’m very partial to near indestructible and easy to use articles when it comes to stoves. Sadly, many not so obvious faults in my experience only start to come to light a few years in.
Going to take a good look at the stoves you guys recommended tomorrow.

Tranona

Visit site
Be aware that Force 10 is no longer the friendly Canadian company but owned by Eno. UK distributor is Penguin Engineering (excellent outfit) and prices of the cookers are roughly 3 times the price of a Nelson or a Neptune.

GregOddity

Visit site
Be aware that Force 10 is no longer the friendly Canadian company but owned by Eno. UK distributor is Penguin Engineering (excellent outfit) and prices of the cookers are roughly 3 times the price of a Nelson or a Neptune.

A very GOOD point. Good thing you said that before I had a fatal wallet contraction and fainted on sight of price.

Tranona

Visit site
At least a bit cheaper than a GN, and I know which I would buy if I was buying in that price bracket.

GregOddity

Visit site
At least a bit cheaper than a GN, and I know which I would buy if I was buying in that price bracket.

I like the Taylor’s but I think if I was on that range I would go with the GN for the gas. Not sure if searching for Paraffin in far off paradisiacal locations is a sport I would enjoy. I had that with a generator once in Tierra Del Fuego Argentina. (was working for Shell) called the office and 2 days later new gen arrived, Fuel.
They stopped using industrial quantities of the stuff when they moved to electric lighting, we were buying little bottles in supermarkets and corner stores then driving 8 hours to camp on track roads and river fords and back for more.

Boo2

Visit site
No need to buy French, particularly if you want a separate grill. Nelson...
...Suffers badly from rust as has been mentioned here many times by many people. Trouble with tests is they don't reflect real life long term use...

Boo2

GregOddity

Visit site
...Suffers badly from rust as has been mentioned here many times by many people. Trouble with tests is they don't reflect real life long term use...

Boo2

Being the exact reason why I asked. A bit like when in the late 80's (89? ) Which magazine did a test with child proof plastic bottles. All the adults struggled opening them, kids and even toddlers opened them in seconds.
Replicating real use on stuff is still a hard thing to do. And the results of test may or may not accurately give an idea of how well it stands real use.

Tranona

Visit site

Boo2

Not sure that is universal as many have also reported satisfactory long term use of Nelsons. Rust is less of a problem these days as boats tend to be much less damp than in the past. Think you will find just about all the budget price (and many of the more expensive cookers) have non stainless components somewhere on them.

ashtead

Visit site
I had someone else say the same. Not fun if youre underway. And yes I was looking at the Eno.

As an ENO owner any forumites able to offer advice on issues to look out for. Ours is approx 3 years old but curious to know what parts might fail ? We have back up if it did fail but what spare parts might be useful? It seems they are not well regarded but clearly many manufactures fit them as standard?