?? The Route-map Out Of The Portuguese Lock Down. ??

greeny

Visit site
Ok I'm here!
Having a coffee on the balcony looking over the Arade. Boat's still afloat because I can see the mast about 1/2 a mile away in the marina thro the binns.
Mrs G says far too much to do in the house to let me go to the boat yet. But she's in UK and I'm here. Guess what? Later.

Ok down to the serious stuff.
Car hire to stansted went well - little traffic at 4.30 in the morning.
Stansted airport - you have to wear mask and gloves all the time you're in there. As you go into departures there's a 2 m distancing queue but not very long only 5 mins. As you enter you have to disinfect your hands and don the provided gloves and facemask.
Once inside you have to keep them on all the time. Only Boots open to buy anything but I didn't bother. Almost all the passengers in there were Portuguese workers and family going home for visits. A sprinkling of Brits but not many. The brits were obeying the distancing and ppe requirements but surprisingly and disappointingly the Portuguese seemed to be ignoring it in many cases and only wearing the ppe when officialdom was around. Distancing was poor.
The queue to the plane was the usual ryanair confusion. No clear priority queue, just one long queue winding back thro the airport with 2m distancing in place.
When I asked at the queue about priority everyone looked blank and shrugged their shoulders so I bypassed it and walked to the front. No staff there so spoke with other people and it seemed they were priority at the front but no separate queue. Then an announcement that no one could interpret. More confusion.
Eventually a member of staff came out and shouted the message out. Priority to the front, not 2 queues. Bedlam ensued with people repositioning themselves, Little social distancing at this stage but it was re established once the queue reformed.
Boarding the plane was fine. As you wet through the gate you were handed an A4 sheet with instruction in Portuguese on one side and English the other. It reads Welcome to portugal. Protect yourself and others. Tells you the symptoms of CV and tells you to ring the number listed if you develop any of the symptoms within 14 days. And that was all you got.
With the boarding they did their best but distancing was difficult. Middle seat was left empty in the row unless it was a family group. It seemed pretty well organised.
No drinks or refreshments onboard and very little interaction with the crew. Masks to be worn at all times. Apart from when eating or drinking your picnic.
Front toilet locked off but rear 2 toilets open for use. No handwash left and no towels by the time I went so take your own with you. Toilets were not being cleaned between passengers and there was no regular cleaning took place as far as I saw.
Plane landed, seat belt lights went out and so did social distancing. I hate to say it but the Portuguese seemed to think they'd left the virus in UK. I'd say 50 % still had masks on but the rest just didn't care. No politeness in the aisle, people just pushed to the front and the front end of the plane was packed.
Your choice, join in or sit to the end because no way were they going to keep their distance. They wanted off.
Airport was fine. Usual signs about CV and social distancing re -established itself because officialdom was back on the scene.
I picked up the only leaflet I could find around that was about CV. All in Portuguese, but on later translation it was about the state of emergency and the restrictions which are obviously out of date. Not really relevant any more.
As I went through immigration and passport control there was no check on Residence documents, no check on reason to travel, no check on where you'd been or where you were going. Totally as normal, pre covid. No questions anywhere in the airport of anyone as far as I could see.
I bit the bullet and maybe stupidly asked the passport control officer if I needed to do anything now I 'd arrived in Portugal, because of the covid rules, I asked if I needed to self isolate for 2 weeks. His answer was "Do you want to" and he smiled. I said "not really", he said " you don't need to, follow the rules for everyone" He spoke good english and understood everything I asked. His replies were clear. So was the message.

There seemed to be a place after passport control for temperature checks but no one there so everyone just walked through.
So all in all, very easy, minimal checks if any, no questions asked.
Taxis all lined up outside ready for passengers, some with masks some without.
I got the metro to the station. Masks obligatory but not always being complied with.
Station the same with regard to masks and distancing rules. Rules were generally being followed but only in the busier areas. Many people sat around with the masks round their neck or hanging from one ear.
Once on the train masks must be worn, but to be honest there were only 4 people in my carriage and we were well spaced out. Everyone took their masks off, only replacing them when the guard came down to do his ticket check.
Sorry it's so long winded but I've tried to tell you everything, The journey was of course a long one by normal standards but easily doable with no real problems along the way.
Now, off to lidl for suppli:)es.

Stingo

Visit site
Meanwhile, many of the local establishments have reopened. if you sit down to eat; no mask required. But get up to head to the heads for a much needed fart and a pee - put your mask on.
Makes perfect sense to me.

nortada

Visit site
Ok I'm here!
Having a coffee on the balcony looking over the Arade. Boat's still afloat because I can see the mast about 1/2 a mile away in the marina thro the binns.
Mrs G says far too much to do in the house to let me go to the boat yet. But she's in UK and I'm here. Guess what? Later.

Ok down to the serious stuff.
Car hire to stansted went well - little traffic at 4.30 in the morning.
Stansted airport - you have to wear mask and gloves all the time you're in there. As you go into departures there's a 2 m distancing queue but not very long only 5 mins. As you enter you have to disinfect your hands and don the provided gloves and facemask.
Once inside you have to keep them on all the time. Only Boots open to buy anything but I didn't bother. Almost all the passengers in there were Portuguese workers and family going home for visits. A sprinkling of Brits but not many. The brits were obeying the distancing and ppe requirements but surprisingly and disappointingly the Portuguese seemed to be ignoring it in many cases and only wearing the ppe when officialdom was around. Distancing was poor.
The queue to the plane was the usual ryanair confusion. No clear priority queue, just one long queue winding back thro the airport with 2m distancing in place.
When I asked at the queue about priority everyone looked blank and shrugged their shoulders so I bypassed it and walked to the front. No staff there so spoke with other people and it seemed they were priority at the front but no separate queue. Then an announcement that no one could interpret. More confusion.
Eventually a member of staff came out and shouted the message out. Priority to the front, not 2 queues. Bedlam ensued with people repositioning themselves, Little social distancing at this stage but it was re established once the queue reformed.
Boarding the plane was fine. As you wet through the gate you were handed an A4 sheet with instruction in Portuguese on one side and English the other. It reads Welcome to portugal. Protect yourself and others. Tells you the symptoms of CV and tells you to ring the number listed if you develop any of the symptoms within 14 days. And that was all you got.
With the boarding they did their best but distancing was difficult. Middle seat was left empty in the row unless it was a family group. It seemed pretty well organised.
No drinks or refreshments onboard and very little interaction with the crew. Masks to be worn at all times. Apart from when eating or drinking your picnic.
Front toilet locked off but rear 2 toilets open for use. No handwash left and no towels by the time I went so take your own with you. Toilets were not being cleaned between passengers and there was no regular cleaning took place as far as I saw.
Plane landed, seat belt lights went out and so did social distancing. I hate to say it but the Portuguese seemed to think they'd left the virus in UK. I'd say 50 % still had masks on but the rest just didn't care. No politeness in the aisle, people just pushed to the front and the front end of the plane was packed.
Your choice, join in or sit to the end because no way were they going to keep their distance. They wanted off.
Airport was fine. Usual signs about CV and social distancing re -established itself because officialdom was back on the scene.
I picked up the only leaflet I could find around that was about CV. All in Portuguese, but on later translation it was about the state of emergency and the restrictions which are obviously out of date. Not really relevant any more.
As I went through immigration and passport control there was no check on Residence documents, no check on reason to travel, no check on where you'd been or where you were going. Totally as normal, pre covid. No questions anywhere in the airport of anyone as far as I could see.
I bit the bullet and maybe stupidly asked the passport control officer if I needed to do anything now I 'd arrived in Portugal, because of the covid rules, I asked if I needed to self isolate for 2 weeks. His answer was "Do you want to" and he smiled. I said "not really", he said " you don't need to, follow the rules for everyone" He spoke good english and understood everything I asked. His replies were clear. So was the message.

There seemed to be a place after passport control for temperature checks but no one there so everyone just walked through.
So all in all, very easy, minimal checks if any, no questions asked.
Taxis all lined up outside ready for passengers, some with masks some without.
I got the metro to the station. Masks obligatory but not always being complied with.
Station the same with regard to masks and distancing rules. Rules were generally being followed but only in the busier areas. Many people sat around with the masks round their neck or hanging from one ear.
Once on the train masks must be worn, but to be honest there were only 4 people in my carriage and we were well spaced out. Everyone took their masks off, only replacing them when the guard came down to do his ticket check.
Sorry it's so long winded but I've tried to tell you everything, The journey was of course a long one by normal standards but easily doable with no real problems along the way.
Now, off to lidl for suppli:)es.

Thanks for the detail.

One question; did you fly into Lisbon or Faro ❓ Sorry, see you mention the metro so it must have been Lisbon.

So far as I can tell there are still no flights into Faro.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Thanks for the detail.

One question; did you fly into Lisbon or Faro ❓ Sorry, see you mention the metro so it must have been Lisbon.

So far as I can tell there are still no flights into Faro.
Just had another email off Ryanair, flight back from Faro cancelled on the 10th July. So with the two cancelled on June 9th and June 30 th to Faro, whats going on. Then find out its not the days they are cancelling, its the time if the flights. Managed to rebook going out in June and could have rebooked coming back on the same day but a different time. So looks as if they are rationalising. with early flight out and late flight back only. Suits me. All I want to do is get out there to check the boat!

greeny

Visit site
Just had another email off Ryanair, flight back from Faro cancelled on the 10th July. So with the two cancelled on June 9th and June 30 th to Faro, whats going on. Then find out its not the days they are cancelling, its the time if the flights. Managed to rebook going out in June and could have rebooked coming back on the same day but a different time. So looks as if they are rationalising. with early flight out and late flight back only. Suits me. All I want to do is get out there to check the boat!

Could be good news then if they're re structuring the flight programme, it probably means they are intending to fly on that date. The first step in this is for Faro to get back into operation. Without that nothing happens, Keeping it "closed" is an excellent way of controlling the influx of visitors to the region so at some point in the social rules relaxation programme we should see the airport being put back in operation.
Not long now I would think.

As an aside, I arrived in Portugal earlier this week. After the fairly strict approach to lockdown and continuing social rules in UK, I've found it really strange to be out on the the streets here in Portugal with people mixing again, drinking in bars, eating out. It makes you feel you want to say something and you sit there mumbling to yourself about their lack of compliance. Then you remember you're not in UK and the rules are different here. It feels really weird at first.
Good luck in your travels.

nortada

Visit site
Second vessel refused entry into Portimão as border authority confirms ‘door is closed’ to recreational boats - Portugal Resident

I understand that “ZILT” is at anchor in quarantine. Something to bear in mind if you are heading this way.

Given the last 'foreign boat' to arrive at Portimao (Joseph Conrad) was held in quarantine but after 14 days was still not allowed to stay, has now departed for Croatia, it will be interesting to see how this latest case develops.

As Lagos is the port of refuge, why do these folk try to get into Portimao?

An irony is that UK flagged vessels crewed by Brits (with Portuguese residency) out of Lagos are anchoring over night in the same area as ZILT.

This explains why EU folk are getting Portuguese residency before departing on their summer cruises.

Last edited:

GHA

Visit site
Something to bear in mind if you are heading this way.

Second vessel refused entry into Portimão as border authority confirms ‘door is closed’ to recreational boats - Portugal Resident

Especially, when the current ruling is that Portuguese Waters are closed to all visitors. The only exception is, subject to the approval of local port officials, vessels crewed by Portuguese residents will be permitted access.
More whinging northern europeans ;)
Not like the legal side is hidden away, only takes a few minutes on google to find that's what was going to happen even if they don't like it.
Would be exactly the same in Lagos wouldn't it?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
More whinging northern europeans ;)
Not like the legal side is hidden away, only takes a few minutes on google to find that's what was going to happen even if they don't like it.
Would be exactly the same in Lagos wouldn't it?

The rules do seem ridiculous as air travel is far more likely to create problems but, that's often the case with Portugal and nothing to be done except obey them.

I'm always amused when hearing that Lagos is a port of refuge, the entrance can be positively evil sometimes and I would also head for Portimao.

nortada

Visit site
The rules do seem ridiculous as air travel is far more likely to create problems but, that's often the case with Portugal and nothing to be done except obey them.

I'm always amused when hearing that Lagos is a port of refuge, the entrance can be positively evil sometimes and I would also head for Portimao.

First hand from one of the boats back from anchoring off Ferragudo, even when they have completed quarantine ZING will not be allowed ashore until the middle of June.

Think Lagos may have been selected as a port of refuge because the bridge would make it easy to isolate boats in the maria from those in transit outside on the waiting pontoons. Overlooked by the port authorities and the maritime police, which is manned 24/7 would make supervision easy.

greeny

Visit site

I understand that “ZILT” is at anchor in quarantine. Something to bear in mind if you are heading this way.

Given the last 'foreign boat' to arrive at Portimao (Joseph Conrad) was held in quarantine but after 14 days was still not allowed to stay, has now departed for Croatia, it will be interesting to see how this latest case develops.

An irony is that UK flagged vessels crewed by Brits (with Portuguese residency) out of Lagos are anchoring over night in the same area as ZILT.

This explains why EU folk are getting Portuguese residency before departing on their summer cruises.

I don't really think there's any irony in it. If you have residency then you are entitled to be there. If you don't have residence then you need to do the 14 days when you arrive. We can argue it's not right or it's not logical but at the end of the day, their country, their rules.
I personally don't know why the flag of the boat has anything to do with anything.
It's the person that carries the virus and not the boat as the virus dies on inanimate objects after certain timeframes. Even nationality has nothing to do with it. It's more to do with where that person has been and is arriving from, is the infection rate high, etc etc.
But as I said, their game their rules.

Obvious questions are though:-

Why do people arrive by boat and expect not to isolate for 14days as its clear that this is the requirement from these forums and from many other sources with a bit of googling. They could even contact their destination port and ask the question if in any doubt.

Why do they arrive in Portimao and not Lagos, the designated port of arrival during covid. The weather is not bad, preventing entry and its only a few miles away. It's maybe because they want to anchor and not go in the marina? No real anchorage at Lagos and if the isolation is extended or cv gets worse then the duration of "locked in" stay gets expensive in a marina and you're stuck inside the bridge in Lagos.

Arriving in this way can just kick things off on the wrong foot with the authorities especially if you get them on a bad day.

However,
The biggest question is why do people arriving by airplane walk straight into the country but arrive by sea and its different. (not complaining by the way as I arrived by plane last week).

I don't know where the middle of June date comes from. Is this the same date that JC were arguing about and finally culminated in them leaving?
I'm not disbelieving that this is the date they have been given but I can't find reference to it anywhere and no one here seems to know where it has come from. I'm going to ask SEF official tomorrow when I go round to the office.

nortada

Visit site
I don't really think there's any irony in it. If you have residency then you are entitled to be there. If you don't have residence then you need to do the 14 days when you arrive. We can argue it's not right or it's not logical but at the end of the day, their country, their rules.
I personally don't know why the flag of the boat has anything to do with anything.
It's the person that carries the virus and not the boat as the virus dies on inanimate objects after certain timeframes. Even nationality has nothing to do with it. It's more to do with where that person has been and is arriving from, is the infection rate high, etc etc.
But as I said, their game their rules.

Obvious questions are though:-

Why do people arrive by boat and expect not to isolate for 14days as its clear that this is the requirement from these forums and from many other sources with a bit of googling. They could even contact their destination port and ask the question if in any doubt.

Why do they arrive in Portimao and not Lagos, the designated port of arrival during covid. The weather is not bad, preventing entry and its only a few miles away. It's maybe because they want to anchor and not go in the marina? No real anchorage at Lagos and if the isolation is extended or cv gets worse then the duration of "locked in" stay gets expensive in a marina and you're stuck inside the bridge in Lagos.

Arriving in this way can just kick things off on the wrong foot with the authorities especially if you get them on a bad day.

However,
The biggest question is why do people arriving by airplane walk straight into the country but arrive by sea and its different. (not complaining by the way as I arrived by plane last week).

I don't know where the middle of June date comes from. Is this the same date that JC were arguing about and finally culminated in them leaving?
I'm not disbelieving that this is the date they have been given but I can't find reference to it anywhere and no one here seems to know where it has come from. I'm going to ask SEF official tomorrow when I go round to the office.

The middle of June date was the date ZING gave to a boat anchored near by that is now back in it’s berth in Lagos.

Hearsay has it that ZING was at sea for 6 weeks before it arrived at Portimao.

But are that the rules is the rules and as you rightly say it is their country. Interesting how significant residency has become.

nortada

Visit site
Something for the weekend Sir (or Madam)?

No, not what you think!

The Camara in Lagos has now started issuing 3 free face masks to the population resident in Lagos.

To get these masks you have to attend city hall in person, with proof of identity and residency. Interesting to confirm identity with wearing masks strictly enforced?. The number on your residency document will be checked against Camera records to confirm you are indeed resident in Lagos and a pack of masks will then be handed over; surprisingly we didn't have to sign for them?. No queue the visit lasted for less than 10 minutes and was all very painless.

As the UK is moving to making the wearing of masks mandatory in a wider number of venues, I wonder if they authorities are also providing free masks ❓ Whatever we will take our Portuguese masks with us.

Whilst on the subject of health.

Registering for national health cover in Portugal.

I am aware that some of the longer term residents have already registered but have any of those who have recently registered for temporary residency explored this option and with what success?

I understand that those over 65 may be treated in a different way to younger residents.

To date, we have always found the Centro de Saudes and Portuguese A&E excellent and as we are still ordinary residents in the UK so covered by the NHS, if it was more significant, we hopped on a jet back to the UK to see our GP. As we pay our direct taxes in the UK, it seems the fairest way.

With Covid in the air and the possibility of a second surge, compounded by the UK's 14 day quarantine requirement, we are now considering registering with the Portuguese health service.

From those who have gone before, any advice or pitfalls to avoid❓

nortada

Visit site
Prime Minister Costa has outlined the next steps in Portugal’s return to ‘quasi-normality’.

The current State of Calamity will continue to the end of the month at which point the country as a whole will embark on a new State of ‘Contingency’.

Areas least hit by the virus – including the Algarve and Alentejo – will probably skip ‘contingency’ and go into ‘a mere State of Alert’, said Costa today, revealing that shopping malls in the Lisbon and Vale do Tejo areas will be finally allowed to reopen next Monday, June 15.