The Rock

G

I would like to hear from any brits liveaboard in Gib..

Beth

G

lived aboard in Gib last year through the winter, have spent this winter working in edinburgh but am going back to the boat in gib in a couple of weeks. what do you want to know about?

G

Some say its an "extention of uk" also have heard its where all the dreamers end up when they run out of money. I would just like to talk to some that have been there a few years.

Beth

ccscott49

Visit site
Its said of Gib, you either love it or hate it, I love it. I can get everything I need there, cross the border and you can go anywhere in Spain, its a great place to leave from or arrive to. Yes, it is a bit like England, but different, its now becoming more civilianised. I just like the place, best base in that part of the Med/Atlantic coast.

Paulka

Visit site
I love the place, and the price of diesel fuel ... oooops wrong forum !
I never spent anything longer than one week or so there, so, my opinion certainly is incomplete.
Nevertheless, IMHO, a stop at Gib is a must if you happen to be around there.

Happy sailing.

Paul

G

If you mean duty free booze etc. yes. there's a little shop called Albor, i think, on the marina bay quay that will organise it and deliver to your boat when you are ready to leave.

G

How easy is it to get work in Gib ?
As a UK citizen is it a case of turn up and start looking or is it more complex ?

Thanks in advance

Ian

G

Depends on what you do. Although UK citizens don't need a permit you need some sort of paperwork it's catch 22 - you get a job unless you have it and you can't get it unless you have a card. In reality if you have the skills a company wants they will sort it for you and there's a lot of cash in hand bar work going. Easiest way to get a job is work of mouth, jobs don't get advertised. let me know what sort of work you are looking for and I'll see if I can put you in touch with someone.

Other threads that may be of interest