The real reason to lower the ensign at night!

Heckler

Visit site
My ensign, when I remember to attach it to the boat (I'm not one for such stuff) is attached to a metal fitting with string.
Leaving La Linea the other week for Faro, staff in socket, ensign rolled around it. The admiral had made it from proper stuff, very proud of it, it fell out of socket! Full mob, thinks oh wooden staff will float it, nah, it sank befire we could get it! Gutted!

Hydrozoan

Visit site
It just seemed appropriate to try to save ferrule from becoming the nautical preserve of electrical crimps. Which reminds me that nautical crimps were once something entirely different ...

Anyway, the world of ferrules is a fascinating one, and I hope that when lowering your ensign you ensure that, if your laces are not leather, your aglets are neat and tidy.

PaulJS

Visit site
Our flag pole was on the main road opposite the RCT Depot in Aldershot. When on duty, the guard commander would ask someone to nip out and take the flag in at the appropriate time. Folded up and stuck under the desk until the following morning.

I do find this faux tradition quite amusing at times, as though some people are commanding a frigate. Still, if it keeps some people happy who am I to denigrate them.

Buller Barracks by any chance?

chubby

www.flickr.com
Unscrew fitting. Take ensign staff and fitting home. Leave in airing-cupboard 3/4 days.
Bob will be a relation.

a week in the airing cupboard and no sign of the pine staff coming out of the fitting and now knackered both in trying to separate them! I bought a pine one as they are made in Finland, as bought from Force 4 and i thought pine more eco-friendly! so now a new fitting and hardwood staff: couldn`t find one with a ferule, maybe unique to HRs? Dabchick is ketch rigged with split main backstay so not suitable to fly from the backstay and I don`t have the curved staff some ketches have on the mizzen. So this coming back holiday weekend if you see me taking my ensign down it is not out of excessive concern for etiquette but just making sure the staff doesn`t get stuck again!

dom

Visit site
a week in the airing cupboard and no sign of the pine staff coming out of the fitting and now knackered both in trying to separate them! I bought a pine one as they are made in Finland, as bought from Force 4 and i thought pine more eco-friendly! so now a new fitting and hardwood staff: couldn`t find one with a ferule, maybe unique to HRs? Dabchick is ketch rigged with split main backstay so not suitable to fly from the backstay and I don`t have the curved staff some ketches have on the mizzen. So this coming back holiday weekend if you see me taking my ensign down it is not out of excessive concern for etiquette but just making sure the staff doesn`t get stuck again!

I have a nice teak flagstaff - damn thing fot stuck last w/e!! If I see you I’ll radio to see if you can sort out mine ;)

johnalison

Visit site

As I said before, ferrules are not unique to HRs but widely sold in chandleries. This just happened to be top of the list when I googlified it. https://jimmygreen.com/426-flag-staffs-and-sockets

Wansworth

Visit site
Spanish yachtsman fined for not flying Spanish flag,even though it was mid winter and he was 300 Kim’s away....that’s why Spanish yacht always seem to fly tattered ensigns......one reason I keep my boat in the Uk,